“One night stay Bedford Swan Hotel”
Review of Bedford Swan Hotel

Bedford Swan Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Truro, United Kingdom
“One night stay Bedford Swan Hotel”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I would like to say I received a warm and friendly welcome when booking in.We were allocated a clean, quiet room overlooking the river. The breakfast was excellent with a wide variety of choice with good quality food in pleasant tranquil surroundings.I would highly recommend this hotel coupled with being convenient for the town centre and walks along the embankment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I had been travelling around the country for most of the day for work purposes and my evening led to me being stuck in Bedford for the evening. I came across this hotel and thought it looked welcoming from the outside. However the rate I was quoted for the night was ridiculous and the young lady that I spoke to at the reception desk was very rude and unwelcoming. The only nice part of my very quick visit was the very lovely young lady named Zara from the spa desk. Zara greeted me very politely and assisted me over to the reception desk, I must say it's a shame there are not more polite members of staff at this establishment with her level of customer service skills! I think this hotel needs to improve on it's service to the customers and stop focusing on how much they can get for a room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Geoffrey C
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Many thanks for your feedback which is disappointing as, from what I can gather, you didn't actually stay with us. We work on a best available rate system and rates fluctuate depending on demand. I can only assume you checked last minute on a very busy evening and the rate would have reflected this. I would be very interested to know which member of my team you felt was "rude", however if they were merely advising the room rate I am unsure how this came across in such a manner. Please do contact me if you would like me to pick this up with the Receptionist in question, info@bedfordswanhotel.co.uk

Travellers are raving about these Bedford hotels

Bedford
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I would just like to make a small comment to say how wonderful my day at lotus spa was.
I was treated to some appointments at the spa for my birthday. This place is so intimate and relaxing and all the staff are wonderful. My treatments were performed by Rachel, I had Hopi ear candles and my nails painted and I left feeling a million dollars- Rachel is so friendly and made me feel so relaxed.
The treatments felt much more personal as apposed to some spas that give you treatments like your on a conveyer belt like robots.
Thanks sooo much I will be back again very soon, and I agree to the other comment below- I hope this little gem remains as intimate :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely welcome to celebrate our aunties 80th birthday. We had lunch in the library for 18 people. The food was full of flavour just like Sunday lunch at aunties mothers 45 years ago. The food was hot well presented and the Yorkshire puddings well ......u have to try for yourself. The staff are so helpful. The occasion was special and the service

Stayed February 2014
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel certainly had the wow factor especially as the cost for a basic room was so reasonable. It was really unfortunately that we were only there for a stopover as it would have been lovely to see the town and make use of the spa facilities.
I can only comment on the room service we used, unfortunately it didn't live up to expectations. The pizza we ordered was even worse than a microwaved one, with a cheap base and soggy middle. Thank god the cheese cake made up for it.
Service from the staff though was second to none.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chessington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

On arrival the car park was so full we couldn't even unload our baggage outside the door! We had to use the overflow carpark 10 mins away and carry our bags. Once checked in we was shown to our room which had such a strong smell of smoke to it even though we are non smokers we hadn't been asked on booking! Considering we had just driven 150 miles the staff had been very unhelpful, they were more interested in the 2 weddings the had going on and pleasing them. We couldn't even open the windows as they had safety cables on so now our clothes stink of smoke! I wouldn't have minded if I had known at point of booking!

• Stayed February 2014
Binfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed a single night at the end of half term. Plenty of parking close to the entrance (pay for your parking when you check in for hotel rate of £5/day).
The hotel itself is in a period building with a more recent extension to add more accommodation. The mixture makes for a slightly confusing layout, but we quickly got our bearings.
We had a nice family room which was well equipped, though slightly cramped with the extra beds for the children, but that's to be expected. The children loved the pool area, which is quite unusual, but what we needed.
We had a bed and breakfast rate and we also decided to eat dinner in the hotel's River Room restaurant. Our waiter was very friendly and really good with the children. The children's menu was around £6 for a meal, dessert and drink. Or they could have half portions from the main menu at half price. My youngest had a child's burger which was a good size. The older two loved ordering from the main menu and chose a rib eye steak and a shepherds pie. I had a sirloin steak and my wife had the calfs liver. Clean plates all round.
Breakfast was one of the better buffet selections I've had, with particularly good sausages and a good coffee. Again, good service and child friendly.
The Swan is in a good central location in Bedford. To one side is the river where you can enjoy a walk. The other way is the town centre.
Recommend for a short stay if you're travelling with your kids.

• Stayed February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wyboston
Holiday Inn Express Bedford

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!