“Riverside place”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Riverside place”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Bedford Swan is nicely located by the river side. It is an old hotel with lots of old world charm. A strong point would be to avoid their restaurant, which is easy because there are some nice eateries around.
Pls be careful to check the bill, I was charged for the room for 3 days, in spite of prepaying the entire amount during my booking (in their defense, they quickly reversed these amounts when I pointed this out).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you found the location good, indeed it is a beautiful area of the town. I am disappointed you state that our Restaurant should be avoided. We work very hard to ensure we provide both excellent food quality and service and have recently introduced our new À la carte menu which offers good variety. Apologies for the error with your invoice, however I am pleased to hear our receptionist corrected this immediately. Please do come again should you return to Bedford in future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Korean first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel before, normally as per the other night, only for a few hours, but enough to get some sleep and move on. This time I felt that I had to make a comment. The room was smelling terribly and the TV channel selection and quality was of something less than a cheap 1 or 2 star hotel.
No matter what I did I could not get rid of the smell of the room, which seemed to be smelling like a previous smoking room. Terrible. It gave me a headache and respectively a terrible nights sleep.
The breakfast was good, but the staff very short and not friendly or professional at all. After this experience I am going to have to find another location in Bedford. This is very unfortunate, as I have tried another major chain across the river and this did not convince me either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
It is very disappointing to read your review especially as you have stayed before without issue. We do have a few smoking rooms and I can only assume you stayed on a very busy night and rooms were already let. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast, however I have discussed your note regarding staff with my Breakfast Supervisor as this is unacceptable. I hope you will try us again so we are able to redeem ourselves and restore your previous good faith in The Bedford Swan.

Travellers are raving about these Bedford hotels

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I visited with my family for mothers day. We had a booking for 2.30, and were told that our table was not ready (despite booking a table well in advance) and had to wait over 20 minutes in the bar. When we were seated, all started off well, and the service was excellent. After this, it all started to go down hill. The food was great (apart from my mum finding cardboard in her beef, and at £30 per head this is inexcusable), however the service became slower and slower and slower. The 3 couse meal took in total over 3 hours for all 3 courses to come out, and at the end, we were over charged by £140. Thats not a typo, not £1.40, but £140. This is just not right, and they need to bring the standard of the service up quite a bit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank begaret
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My mum made a reservation for 12:30 for 10 adults and 2 children for sunday lunch to celebrate my husband and my 40th birthdays. When we arrived we were informed that the table was not ready and could we wait in the bar. This was despite getting a confirmation email from the swan regarding the time. We ordered some drinks for ourselves and were told there wasn't any fruit juices available at the bar for the children and had to wait whilst the bar staff went to fetch some for my children.
At our table we had no designated waitress/waiter and no one appeared to be in charge. We weren't offered bread or butter as is the norm in most restaurants despite having side plates.
When we were eventually seated at the table and the orders were taken i asked if the children's meals could be brought out with the starters as the children were hungry. No problem i was informed. Our starters came, were eaten and plates cleared and still no sign of the children's food. I was told that the children's menu took longer to prepare than the starters! My boy was having roast dinner which i presume was not cooked to order as the table next to us were already eating theirs.
Eventually all the main courses arrived together. It was at least 1:30 by now and i had 2 very hungry children. They then served all 12 main courses before the vegetables arrived on the table. There was no apology for the delay.
After the table was cleared the staff took our desert orders and again i had to chase up the children's puddings after what felt like an eternity. What was served was not what was ordered. They presented my 3 year old with a bowl of ice cream and an adult sized desert spoon and seemed surprised that i might need a smaller spoon. This again took so long to arrive that the ice cream had melted.
We left not long after at 3:30. 3 hours for lunch is not long for adults but is an eternity for hungry children.
When my parents complained they said they had a party booking upstairs for 70 people and that the kitchen was therefore very busy.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Sandy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We were given a voucher for Champagne Afternoon Tea for two as a 25th Anniversary present. We booked a table at the Swan Hotel and on arrival we were met by a very pleasant member of staff who showed us to our table. The setting was very nice and the atmosphere was just great. I don’t eat meat and so requested non-meat sandwiches. The sandwiches arrived on a large slate platter along with three small tartlets and were very well presented.

Just a small point, the sandwiches were served all together and it would have been nice if the non-meat ones could have been separated from the meat ones. We had our glass of Champagne with the sandwiches which was lovely and really made the tea special.

When the tea and cakes arrived on a three tier cake stand not only was there a selection of delicious cakes (including a choux pastry swan) there were also the most amazing scones with cream and jam, lemon posset which was divine and chocolate mousse which was to die for. It was just magnificent.

Service was good and staff were very friendly which made for a really enjoyable afternoon. I would highly recommend afternoon tea at The Swan Hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandyman53
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Firstly, congratulations on your recent anniversary. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and many thanks for sharing your lovely feedback. We hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The staff were really professional and welcoming from the first person I met at reception to the person who checked me out. I particularly single out for praise the staff on in the evening in the small bar to the left of the reception desk who gave a warmth of service comparable to any I have experienced.

I really liked the welcome message on the wide screen TV upon entering my room. It is all of the little touches that help make a stay pleasant.

Room Tip: It took me a few minutes to work out that there was a switch above the bathroom door which activated...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Niyi A
Many thanks for posting your five star review on Tripadvisor. Your comments regarding the team here, who work very hard, are much appreciated. We hope to weclome you again soon.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had a reservation for a 1 night stay at The Swan the day after our wedding, and had booked a suite and dinner package. Upon arrival we were told our meal had not been seen on our booking (despite me double checking before arrival) the restaurant was full and they were unsure whether we could be fitted in. We then went to our room - disappointed doesn't really cover how we felt. It was the most basic suite we have ever seen, and in no way did it reflect the website pictures. Normally we would have accepted sometimes you fall foul of luck and your room isn't as great as you hoped, however on such a significant and special occasion (the hotel were aware of at the time of booking that this stay was part of our honeymoon) we decided to get a full refund and leave, we were lucky enough to find a new hotel and thankfully had a brilliant time.
Our review is not designed to put people off of the Swan as our past experience of the bar and restaurant has been very positive, however it is to say that there needs to be more attention, care and organisation, and that the website images should better reflect the reality of the the suites.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wyboston
Holiday Inn Express Bedford

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!