“A great hotel for both business and pleasure”
Review of Bedford Swan Hotel

Bedford Swan Hotel
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here alone for a couple of nights in February for a business course for my newspaper group. I had never been to Bedford before and was pleasantly surprised on how lovely the town is.
My stay at the Bedford Swan was very comfortable, all of the staff made me feel at ease and the food, room and lovely spa facilities were just perfect, thank -you all.

I will return for a visit as tourist to the area.
Many thanks again for making what could have been a lonely trip into a very warming stay.

Room Tip: Over looking the river is very pleasant.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,669)

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent Saturday night here with my husband and had a lovely time. The view of the river is stunning and with the hotel being so wonderfully located, we were able to walk along the river to the nearby park which was holding a kite festival...this all added to the magic of our stay. The staff were very efficient, friendly and keen to help in anyway they could. The food was great and the bedroom very comfortable. I will definitely come back again, I love the atmosphere, the location, the service and everything about it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frankie M
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed at hotel for a friend wedding, great central location, staff very friendly rooms very clean Parking at car park rear of hotel, but make sure you get your ticket from the reception to ensure a fine.

Room Tip: River view lovely to wake up too
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wardiep
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here last night. I spend half my working life staying in hotels and they mostly feel souless . This place is special, a truely lovely old building right in the centre of Bedford but overlooking the river. A river full of swans! Gorgeous. The staff are not only courteous and proffessional but are such lovely people too. A real breath of fresh air. Keep up the great work guys and we hope to see you all again before the summer is over.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here as guests at a Wedding Reception which was held in the Hotel. The Hotel is in a nice location- easy to find and right next to the river. It is particularly pretty at night, as there are lights all along the river which makes for a pretty evening stroll.
The Hotel is attractive to look at, and there is ample parking. The check-in process was straight forward. We stayed in Room 166 which doesn't have the greatest view out of the window, but we didn't go there to stay in our room all day! As I have said in other reviews, I am fastidious when it comes to cleanliness- I generally keep shoes/slippers on my feet in Hotel rooms, and can spot a hair from more than a metre away! However, our Hotel room was IMMACULATE. No dust, hairs, fluff- just beautifully clean. For the first time in a long time in a Hotel I took my shoes off! For me, the cleanliness of the room really does make or break a stay- so I really can't praise the Housekeeping staff enough. The room was spacious (and we had a camp bed in our room to accommodate our Daughter) and the air conditioning was a welcome bonus. In order to give a truthful and well balanced review, I would have to mention that the bathroom (whilst spotless) is looking a little tired (the bath panel is coming away a little and the grout certainly needs refreshing in both the wall and floor tiles) and also a spring in the mattress (side nearest to the window) has come away and can be felt through the mattress- however, this is right on the edge, so can only be felt when sitting on the bed and not when lying down.
We enjoyed two good nights' sleep in the room, with no outside disturbance.
Breakfast is a veritable feast there for your enjoyment! Fresh fruit, pastries, juices, fresh toast and fresh tea and coffee are all available, as is the full English cooked option- with properly cooked bacon as opposed to the pallid, half cooked rashers you are normally offered with a Hotel breakfast. Your eggs are made to order and, if all this isn't enough for you, you can order from the menu delights such as Kippers etc.
All in all we found this Hotel to be very impressive, had a lovely stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay again should we ever find ourselves back in Bedford.

Room Tip: If a room with a view is important to you, ask for a River View at the time of booking.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Had a beautiful time there attending a wedding the food venue scenic views of the lake Couldn't have been more picture perfect. There was a gentleman called Charlie who was the organiser on the day and he was really impressive making sure all the guests were attended to and happy. The whole experience was a delight!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha O
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked an evening event together with a meeting and accommodation for over 40 guests for 3 nights - the hotel managed the booking extremely efficiently, the event (which included a band) went without a hitch. The food was delicious and I would recommend this to anyone planning an event be it business or pleasure. The event staff "Charile" plus his staff were an absolute dream, he made sure everything went to plan, whatever we wanted he made sure we got. The accommodation was coordinated by Zuzana Hlavacova, she is an asset to The Swan. She kept on top of all the bookings, changes, cancellations (and there were many!). The breakfast is fantastic, i could have stayed in the restaurant all morning eating all the variety of foods, continental, cooked breakfast, fruit - you name it, you got it. The meeting room was great, very olde worlde. Again, the staff at The Swan Hotel were great, nothing was too much trouble. The Operations Manager "Paul" was there on hand to help at any moment - the conference staff made sure there was plenty of refreshments etc., all handled professionally and discreatly. I stayed for 1 night due to being the organiser, wish i could have stayed for another night, loved the room, the setting is perfect (just by the river), I don't think you could have asked for more. Thank you to The Swan Hotel and all it's staff.

Room Tip: I stayed in 274 - perfectly situated :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Alis0n92
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post your fantastic five star review. Your comments regarding Charlie, Zuzana and Paul are lovely to read and have been shared with the team. We look forward to arranging and hosting your next event and to welcoming you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
d'Parys Hotel
d'Parys Hotel
#14 of 18 in Bedford
Holiday Inn Express Bedford

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!