“Lovely setting-poor delivery”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting-poor delivery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We were in town on a summer Friday evening a went to the outside terrace for a beer. The setting is superb, overlooking the river, artificial grass floor and nice big parasols with heat lamps. Regretfully the bar area is too small for the size of the seating area and the poor girls just can't cope with the volume of trade. Part of the problem was being let down by poor quality beer pumps that were chucking out flat beer. For such and idyllic spot they need to re-think their delivery.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
DMJM39, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Mark 0966, I am really pleased to read that you visited our new Terrace Bar, I agree its a fantastic location. Really sorry to read that the beer wasn't quite right and the staff were under pressure. We are trying to iron out some of the initial teething problems and will hopefully get there soon.
Thanks for your feedback

Dominic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
Dunstable, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I live in Bedford and was out for a walk along the river with my young son today when we walked past the swan. Being a warm day we decided to go into the outside terrace bar overlooking the river for a cool drink and an ice cream. We sat down and a waitress approached, I asked what flavour ice cream they had available. To this I was greeted with a blank stare and was told we don't have any. Now before waking into the terrace bar I counted at least 5 signs (including 1 at the entrance) around the building advertising ice cream. When I told the waitress I was sorry I thought they did as the sign said they did, the reply I got was no and a shake of the head, no explanation or apology. She then asked if I wanted a drink, when I replied we would go elsewhere as I had promised my son an ice cream she raised her eyebrows at me and walked off. I'd like to add here that this is the first review I've ever written on this site, but after the service I received today along with poor service and an ever downward sliding of quality that I have experienced with their afternoon teas today I felt compelled to write one. I will not be returning to the swan this time.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank sarahmj_au
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for sharing this feedback which is vital for us to improve going forwards. We do offer ice cream at all times on the terrace so I am at a loss to explain why a member of staff would say this was not available. I am more concerned at the attitude you describe this team member portrayed which is unacceptable. I understand your reluctance to return however would very much appreciate it if you would try us again so we are given the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Travellers are raving about these Bedford hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We spent two days there on 18th/19th June 2014 our ratings reflect our opinion and we would happily go again. We tried all the facilities except the Terrace Bar and Barbecue as when we went on the 19th there was some sort of football match on the TV and it was standing room only so we resorted to the excellent room-service.

Room Tip: Whilst a more expensive room with a river view might appeal it seemed to us that you would also be n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant and enjoyable. Our staff take great pride in the service they provide and very much appreciate your feedback. We use all the feedback provided, like yours, to constantly improve and develop our service and guest experience.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Yours sincerely, Dominic Mills, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is well situated on the embankment and the building itself is attractive. The inside is well furnished, although the reception desk is hidden away, which is a minor negative point.

Our room was ok, I can't say any better than that. The room was a bit dated and the shower head in the bathroom was faulty, so it was difficult to have a decent shower.

This is a nice hotel for sure, but at this price point (standard room approx £90 per night) I would expect a room of a higher standard. However the location and staff can't be faulted.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Robertlb85
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Many thanks for sharing your feedback. I am sorry you didn't feel you received value for money, we will take your comments on board and hopefully see you again in future.
Yielden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were married at the Swan Hotel on 28th May 2014.
The staff are amazing and nothing was too much trouble, especially Zuzana who sorted everything.
On the day Charlie was to loveliest person you could have wished for to ensure the whole day went smoothly and so full of smiles & certainly went above and beyond!!! He will know what I am talking about!!! Ha ha.
Overall the hotel is beautiful, full of character and history but still maintaining that comfortable relaxed atmosphere.
We would recommend 100%
Thank you to all of you.
Stephen & Angela Willmott

Room Tip: With a view over the river
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Angela W
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Firstly, congratulations on your recent marriage and we are delighted you chose us as the venue for your special day. Your comments regarding Zuzana and Charlie are much appreciated and have been shared with the team. We hope to welcome you to the Hotel again in the near future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Not disappointed by my recent visit to Bedford Swan Hotel. New terrace bar is great and just what Bedford needed. Great atmosphere to chill out after a hectic day. BBQ was lush and staff were very friendly! A must visit!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant and enjoyable and that your enjoyed the BBQ

Yours sincerely, Dominic Mills, General Manager.
Willenhall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night, as we were visiting my son, staff were very friendly and helpful, hotel was spotless, I did the four in the bed test, !!, cant find any fault with the hotel, great value for money, would definitely recommend a visit. I will mist certainly stay here again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for sharing your delightful five star review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!