“Good for Palmersport”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Halifax
“Good for Palmersport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed at the Swan for 2 nights with 9 customers last week whilst we attended the Palmersport event at Bedford autodrome.. The setting is excellent, right next to the river with a great terrace bar overlooking the water. Really nice. The best thing about the hotel was the staff, they were all superb and really went out of their way to accommodate. Special thanks to Zuzanna and Charlie. Food was also good.

I think its always important to give some constructive criticism in order for hotels to like The Swan to maintain standards so the only thing I would say is that the rooms are starting to look a bit tired. The décor and bathrooms could do with updating. No big deal though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor further to your recent stay with us. It is lovely to read your comments regarding Zuzana and Charlie which have been shared with the team. We are looking into the possibility of a bathroom refurbishment in the near future and hope to see you again should you return to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Clean, functional hotel with some character. The staff were excellent and had some good banter with the reception team. Rooms were OK, but very hot during the night. we ate evening meal in the hotel - having had a glass of wine in the outside bar area. Bedford is not the most beautiful town in England, but sitting alongside the river with a decent glass of wine in the the sun is most pleasant. If you prefer decent wine, make sure you order from the restaurant list as the bar wine lists are populated by low-end Chilean nonsense - shame, as the restaurant list is far better. The meals we had were good and everyone enjoyed their food - although it was a little overpriced for what it was. Breakfast was enjoyable - lots of space and choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark S
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments further to your recent visit. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning so I am sorry to hear you found the room too warm. The River Terrace is indeed in a prime spot and, although the wine list is more limited to what is available inside, offersa choice of wines from Chile, Italy and France along with a comprehensive cocktail selection. We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in future.
Hunstanton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a superior room with Laterooms which specified a river view but ended up with one overlooking roof, satellite dish and car park. The room was pleasant but quite small. We did call reception to ask to swap but no river view rooms were available. There were a few unfortunate occurances whilst we were there (no ceiling lighting for an hour, the keys to open up the pool not working in the morning as well as the wifi not recognising me as a guest!) I discussed all this with a receptionist who passed me over to a manager. They were both extremely helpful and polite and quick to offer me a reduction in our rate. Things do go wrong in hotels, these things can not always be pre-empted or avoided and the staff were very quick to make amends for this. It's a good hotel and the experience would not put me off staying again.

• Stayed June 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologise sincerely for the issues which occured during your stay and for any inconvenience caused. It's good to hear the team dealt with this efficiently and we look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel in future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We were in town on a summer Friday evening a went to the outside terrace for a beer. The setting is superb, overlooking the river, artificial grass floor and nice big parasols with heat lamps. Regretfully the bar area is too small for the size of the seating area and the poor girls just can't cope with the volume of trade. Part of the problem was being let down by poor quality beer pumps that were chucking out flat beer. For such and idyllic spot they need to re-think their delivery.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
DMJM39, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Mark 0966, I am really pleased to read that you visited our new Terrace Bar, I agree its a fantastic location. Really sorry to read that the beer wasn't quite right and the staff were under pressure. We are trying to iron out some of the initial teething problems and will hopefully get there soon.
Thanks for your feedback

Dominic
Dunstable, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I live in Bedford and was out for a walk along the river with my young son today when we walked past the swan. Being a warm day we decided to go into the outside terrace bar overlooking the river for a cool drink and an ice cream. We sat down and a waitress approached, I asked what flavour ice cream they had available. To this I was greeted with a blank stare and was told we don't have any. Now before waking into the terrace bar I counted at least 5 signs (including 1 at the entrance) around the building advertising ice cream. When I told the waitress I was sorry I thought they did as the sign said they did, the reply I got was no and a shake of the head, no explanation or apology. She then asked if I wanted a drink, when I replied we would go elsewhere as I had promised my son an ice cream she raised her eyebrows at me and walked off. I'd like to add here that this is the first review I've ever written on this site, but after the service I received today along with poor service and an ever downward sliding of quality that I have experienced with their afternoon teas today I felt compelled to write one. I will not be returning to the swan this time.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank sarahmj_au
Thank you for sharing this feedback which is vital for us to improve going forwards. We do offer ice cream at all times on the terrace so I am at a loss to explain why a member of staff would say this was not available. I am more concerned at the attitude you describe this team member portrayed which is unacceptable. I understand your reluctance to return however would very much appreciate it if you would try us again so we are given the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Travellers are raving about these Bedford hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We spent two days there on 18th/19th June 2014 our ratings reflect our opinion and we would happily go again. We tried all the facilities except the Terrace Bar and Barbecue as when we went on the 19th there was some sort of football match on the TV and it was standing room only so we resorted to the excellent room-service.

Room Tip: Whilst a more expensive room with a river view might appeal it seemed to us that you would also be n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am very pleased to hear that your stay was pleasant and enjoyable. Our staff take great pride in the service they provide and very much appreciate your feedback. We use all the feedback provided, like yours, to constantly improve and develop our service and guest experience.

Thank you again for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Yours sincerely, Dominic Mills, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is well situated on the embankment and the building itself is attractive. The inside is well furnished, although the reception desk is hidden away, which is a minor negative point.

Our room was ok, I can't say any better than that. The room was a bit dated and the shower head in the bathroom was faulty, so it was difficult to have a decent shower.

This is a nice hotel for sure, but at this price point (standard room approx £90 per night) I would expect a room of a higher standard. However the location and staff can't be faulted.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Robertlb85
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Many thanks for sharing your feedback. I am sorry you didn't feel you received value for money, we will take your comments on board and hopefully see you again in future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!