“Nice old hotel near to the river”
Review of Bedford Swan Hotel

Bedford Swan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip to Bedford. The hotel is a bit old and creaky but it still beats the faceless chain hotels I normally stay in. On my previous trips to Bedford I only travelled between the office and the station and thought Bedford was pretty dire but the location of this hotel near the river made me see that there might be more to the city. I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Bedford and recommend taking a walk along the river in the evening if the weather is nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Barry A
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel again on your next visit to Bedford.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,703)

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a wedding in one of the regular guest rooms. Room was clean and tastefully decorated, but fairly small and no water was provided. At £140 for the night, would expect breakfast and car parking to be included! We didn't have breakfast, so can't comment if it is worth the additional fee (£14 I think). Great location on the river and near to the town centre.

Stayed: July 2014
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Many thanks for sharing your feedback further to your recent stay with us. Rates vary depending on demand and we offer rates at time of booking both including and excluding breakfast. Should guests choose the inclusive package at time of booking the additional charge is just £10 per person. On room only rates should guests choose to take breakfast in the morning we offer this at the standalone price of £14.95 each. It is therefore customer preferance as to which rate is booked. Parking is charged to all residents at £5 per car and offers secure parking with CCTV which we feel is very reasonable for a town centre location. Once again thanks for sharing your feedback and, should you stay with us in future, we hope your next experience is a more positive one.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked a Spa Day for myself and my daughter at the Lotus Spa within The Bedford Swan Hotel and we attended today. What an amazing day! Our first treatment was a facial that lasted an hour. My specialist was Rachel and my daughter's was Maddie. It was an hour of pure bliss! Relaxed, calm, attentive, atmospheric music and complete indulgence! Both girls were completely professional and certainly knew their job! We then had lunch at the River Terrace Bar which is located along the embankment within the hotel and the weather was beautiful and the food was fabulous. A further hour of watching the world go by. We then went to the pool and jacuzzi area which again was amzing! Fabulous surrounding - much like a Roman Bath. We then had manicures, afternoon tea and then my daughter had a pedicure whilst I went back to people watching! Finished the day off with a superb steak dinner in the restaurant.

I cannot recommend the Lotus Spa and Hotel enough. Angela, the Manager was welcoming and truly accomodating; Rachel and Maddie were magnificent! Even though Angela said they were incredibly busy, you would never have known as the whole experience was soooo relaxing!

If you have ever considered booking a Spa Day, stop thinking about it and just do it, but make sure you go to Lotus Spa!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your delightful five star review. Between now and September we are offering 20% off all treatments Monday - Wednesday inclusive. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Not visited the Swan for a good many years after being put off by the seriously appalling food and service I wanted to give them another go . Well have just returned from having a light lunch at the Swan , using their outside facilities . We were greeted and settled very quickly, looking good so was very optimistic for the forth coming meal . Sadly the service was slow.......very slow and when we did eventually get our meal the quality for a Panini and a Sandwich was just about acceptable to eat in a quick serve railway station but not for the supposedly best hotel in Bedford.
. My sandwich was and odd mix of stale triple slice bread with the barest of a suggestion of spread, a brief hint of sad lettuce and onion pickle and a very thin cobbling together of bits of ham which to be honest the quality was no better than the average supermarket. The Panini was a tiny suggestion of spread, a thin layer of cheese and again a bits of ham, the accompanying salad was also limp and stale. My grandchildren could make better for cheaper. The milk accompanying my tea was warm and the jug hot !! Why no hot water to top up the tea pot?
Did try to attract the attention of the waitress but once we had payed ( before being served our meals assume this was because people have absconded before settling the bill) she had soon lost interest , gave up after three attempts.
My last two experiences Fortieth Birthday and a Wedding Anniversary at the Swan and its catering have both resulted in my amazement at how the most prestigious hotel can still get away with serving such second rate food. They are trading on their reputation and the splendid view . I'll not be back again for a very long time. I'll do without the view and get better service and food from a well known coffee house in town......... and much cheaper.

2  Thank Stephanie M
DominicMills, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Many thanks for sharing your feedback. It is very disappointing to hear of your lunch experience on the Terrace. Without making excuses this is a relatively new venture for us and there have been some teething problems from which we have learnt and subsequently rectified. I can ensure you that, in the hope you give us another chance, your next visit will be much improved. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Currently staying at the hotel and the room is unbearably hot. The air con is not working so the staff have stuck a fan in the room which has no effect. There is no Wifi which in today's hotel market is shocking. The staff range from couldn't care less to disinterested and the £15 per head breakfast is a joke. I used the bacon to keep my bedroom door ajar.

Back in the day this was a great hotel - it's now worse than a B&B in Blackpool.

Won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NoClass

Firstly I am very disappointed this matter was not brought to my attention during your stay so we were given the opportunity to move you to an alternative room. We have experienced some issues with air conditioning recently which have since been rectified. Regarding WiFi this is offered free of charge throughout the Hotel. Breakfast receives very good feedback in general and the price of £14.95 is one we feel reasonable for the offering. Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss your stay further at dominic.mills@bedfordswanhotel.co.uk We do hope you will choose to visit in future and that your next experience is a better one.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My partner and I booked in for an Afternoon tea for a family members Birthday. We had read previous reviews but kept an open mind. Well there was no need to worry. The whole experience was great. The selection of sandwiches and cakes were outstanding and endless supply of tea and coffee. The staff made sure that our needs we're met and they were very attentive. Even when we couldn't finish off the scones they were presented to us in foil shaped as a .... Swan !
We'll worth the money and a very good experience in a very nice surroundings.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel so cannot comment on this section
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to share your lovely review following your Afternoon Tea. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just returned from afternoon tea at The Swan which really should have been better. After reading the good reviews in trip advisor this seemed like the ideal place - it isn't.

The positives:
The price at £15 each or £21 with champagne, the dining area was pleasant and the food looked good when it eventually came.

The taste and quality of the food was average.

The negatives:
Took 40 minutes for our sandwiches to arrive! When you've pre ordered and booked you expect them in a reasonable time frame; and as one of the managers wrote on here they prepare the afternoon teas in advance then put them in the fridge so all they had to do is take them out.

The 1 hour, yes 1 hour it took for them to clear the plates, then we had to ask for the cakes. Having the sweet and savoury food separate is fine but at least bring them out in a timely fashion. The cakes took another 25 minutes to come, so we had been there over 2 hours before we got our scones and cakes - unacceptable. Especially as the couple next to us who arrived an hour later were served at the same time.

The couple next to us also had their tea poured for them and each cake / dessert clearly explained to them so they knew what each one was, ours was just put down and they walked away!

The other couple may put a good review as others have as they definitely got a different experience to us, surely you cannot run a business on this inconsistency?

The toilets were dated, cracked toilet seats, salmon coloured sanitary ware, a broken radiator, filthy carpet, taps that didn't work and a missing soap dispenser.

A really poor experience!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wendmeister

Thank you for bringing your recent Afternoon Tea experience to my attention. I am sincerely disappointed to read this review. Afternoon Tea is something we take great pride in and it is highly unusual to receive feedback of this nature. In the event you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me at dominic.mills@bedfordswanhotel.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Embankment Hotel
#13 of 18 in Bedford
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!