“Poor Show - High Tea at Swan Hotel”
Review of Bedford Swan Hotel

Bedford Swan Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Poor Show - High Tea at Swan Hotel”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I know this is a bit late but I only just signed up to Trip Advisor. I am currently searching for a venue in Bedfordshire for December so that myself and a few friends can treat ourselves to High Tea. Last December we decided to go to the Swan Hotel. I can only say, never again. Staff very un- attentive, sandwiches dry, scones dry, drinks turned up about 15 minutes after sandwiches and cakes. My friend is allergic to cheese and cant eat fish. We advised when booking this "treat". When the sandwiches arrived the only thing she could have was the egg/chicken, not both cant remember which was supplied. When we complained two more very small egg/chicken sandwiches arrived. .Seats were rather uncomfortable as well though I cant remember who sat us there, could have been our choice. The only good thing about the whole experience was a chat with my friends and the lovely hotel décor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Debbie S
Gearoid P, Head of Operations at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Hello Debbie S,

Thank you for posting a review regarding your dining experience with us. In the time since you have dined with us (almost ten months ago), we have re-evaluated our Afternoon Tea service and carried out corrective training to ensure that only the highest of standards are met. I know that if you are to return to visit us, you will most definitely notice the difference in the quality of service given.

Kindest Regards,

Head of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Korean first
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

very nice place to stay,not enough info on web pages,this needs to be improved,afternoon tea a must,friendly staff,spa pool very nice.the doggy bag in the shape of a swan looked fab.
had a room over looking the river,and yes it had smoking room,it was our wedding anniversary.

we enjoyed our stay and will be going again.

mrs B

Room Tip: river view to watch every thing going on
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello 24bishop,

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. It is fantastic to read such positive feedback as it really is great for staff morale. We hope to see you again and hopefully you won’t be a stranger and leave it until your next anniversary.

Best Wishes,

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a special weekend break for my wife and I to the Twinwood festival in Bedford. As part of this special break I booked what I thought was a great room in a prestigious hotel. I booked a suite which was advertised as overlooking the river, as apparently do all the suites in this hotel. On arrival after finally getting the attention of the reception staff we were taken to room number 336 which can only be described as a garret. It is up in the roof with a slopping ceiling and very, very cramped - by no stretch of the imagination can it be described as a "suite", it does not overloook the river but a car park. I Have tried to get another hotel but none available, be warned this is not the hotel it purports to be, when I Complained I was given a room reduction but no explanation as to the extremely poor quality of the supposedly superior accommodation.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Robert M
Hello Robert M,

I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please be assured that your issue has been addressed with our Front Office Manager and that the necessary corrective training has been conducted. On the other hand, I was happy to read that we dealt with your issue in a position by offering a reduction on your bill.

Sincere Regards,

Head of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Bedford hotels

Bedfordshire
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Wonderful! The 7 of us really really enjoyed it, fab value for money, the 'doggy bag' was shaped into a swan, a lovely touch, our waitress was wonderful, fun, attentive and genuine, can't wait to go again,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GrasshopperB6654OZ
Hello GrasshopperB66,

Thank you for such a fantastic review. We really do appreciate it. I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea. I have no doubt you will return soon and we look forward to seeing you then.

Many Thanks,

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Only stayed one night but it was an OK experience, lots of services available and a great location. The rooms were very quiet at night despite being in town but there was plenty to do around the local area. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Hello Haveadeal,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience on Tripadvisor. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back to the Bedford Swan Hotel in the near future.

Be Well,

Lancashire
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel is conveniently situated for town centre shops of the usual sort (M&S, Debenhams, Beales, Next etc). It is near the John Bunyan museum which is worth a visit. Pleasant walk along the nearby Esplanade along the Great Ouse.
The hotel is clean and pleasant. The air con can't be set below 17 which is a little high for my comfort. Winter weight duvets in Summer. This can be changed for sheet and blanket by asking at reception. The lift is fast and efficient.
The restaurant is fine as regards service but cold plates at breakfast. For evening meal veg is under cooked and main course portions over large.
The Wifi didn't seem to connect and there are certificate issues.
Bar drinks charges can vary day by day for the same drink.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river will be hotter than the ones on the back because of the direction of the sun.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hello Belle62,

Thank you for reviewing the Bedford Swan Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed by some of the observations that you have made with regards to the service you received.

Should you wish to discuss them further, please contact me on gearoid.pyne@bedfordswanhotel.co.uk

Best Regards,

Gearoid Pyne,
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Delightful afternoon tea today with my mother as a birthday treat from a friend. Tabatha, our server, was outstanding and very wonderful & caring; she definitely made the experience fabulous! Food and drinks were great, apparently they were trying a few changes to the menu and we loved it! My favourite was definitely the chorizo quiche, I could have kept eating plenty of them! The desserts were displayed beautifully and we loved that they wrapped up our leftovers in foil shaped as a swan. The building itself was gorgeous and everything was perfect, except for the loud meeting that was happening on the table next to us; they appeared to be related to the hotel and were talking rather loudly to each other & on the phone, which meant we didn't have the tranquil atmosphere we assumed we would. Overall, a great birthday treat and I will most likely be returning at some point.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello dreamexpl0rer,

Congratulations on reaching the milestone of another year. I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Tabatha who will be delighted by them. I am surprised to read that hotel staff were holding a meeting in the public lounge as this should not happen. We really look forward to seeing you back here with us again in the not so distant future.

Happy Birthday,

Head of Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wyboston
Holiday Inn Express Bedford

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!