“Nice lunch in pleasant surroundings”
Review of The Barns Hotel

The Barns Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Nice lunch in pleasant surroundings”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Probably merits 'good' rather than 'very good' but that's not an option.

I had lunch here with friends on a quiet Thursday. The restaurant has large picture windows overlooking the river. We had a lovely table by a window from where we could watch the swans sailing by. It would no doubt be delightful in the summer.

The lunch menu had plenty of options. We all chose the plum tomato soup to start with. This was very nice. The accompanying rolls were the part-baked sort you get from the supermarket. I'd have preferred fresh bread.

For our main course we had the pork tenderloin (a very large portion), the salmon fillet with pea risotto and the liver and bacon. Everything was nicely presented. My friends said their dishes were very tasty. My liver was cooked just as I like it. (I had asked our waitress to let the chef know I liked it cooked all the way through rather than rare as many places now serve it.) The potato cake which accompanied it was delicious. I'd have liked a vegetable with it though and was sorry I hadn't thought to order a side dish. The lemon curd Eton mess dessert was okay but nothing special.

My friend was disappointed that the only sugar-free soft drink option other than water was Diet Coke.

A good selection of wines were available, some by the glass.

Our waitress, Maria, was charming.

I would happily return for lunch or dinner.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
BarnsHotel, Operations Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Black Amber

I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your lunch with us. Thankyou for all your nice feedback. I have passed on your comments about your lunch to our chefs, and to the rest of the team.

I hope to see you back at the Barns Hotel in the near future
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
buckinghamshire
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We went to a wedding reception here and had a great time! The wedding meal was very good. The evening was very smoothly run . We booked a last minute room. The room was clean and comfortable. The next morning we had a very good breakfast with plenty of choices. All staff were very polite and friendly. The only slight downside to the stay was my husband and I found the bed to firm.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
BarnsHotel, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear dora4,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a nice review. I was delighted on reading all your comments.We are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Barns Hotel soon.

Kind Regards,
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have been staying at The Barns on and off for the past year when I work for a nearby client. My client books the hotel for me.

I find my experience varies every time I go. The staff are friendly and on the whole, efficient but there have been occasions where service has been greatly lacking. Examples below:-

I asked to change room once as the TV wasn't working in the room I'd been allocated. After ringing reception, I waited in the corridor for around 7minutes. The receptionist was most apologetic, she had been serving other guests and didn't have "back up". While waiting, I was able to hear staff in the office chatting about their social lives. I asked for the manager to contact me and heard nothing.

Room service often doesn't match the description on the menu. That said, the food is very good.

On one occasion, a colleague and I were kept waiting for 45minutes for our food to arrive (in the Riverside Bar) to be told that they had run out of what we wanted. We re-ordered and waited a further half hour. We were not charged for the food which was a nice gesture, but we'd have preferred to have eaten at a reasonable time.

On checking out, I am always asked how my stay was and have made several comments on the service I have received, the facilities (the water pressure in the showers is diabolical and I am unable to wash my hair as it is so bad) along with suggested improvements. None of my points have ever been acted upon so I shall not be making any further comments. I feel like the "how was your stay?" question is paying lip service and once the bill has been paid, the management are not interested. I'm aware that my client (who uses The Barns regularly) have also given feedback and again, it appears to fall on deaf ears.

I stay at The Barns purely due to its location. If a rival hotel opened nearby, my client and I would have no hesitation is switching.

Room Tip: Showers in the ground floor room has slightly better water pressure but if you have larger than aver...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CarolCurlz
Dear CarolCurlz,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I’m sorry to hear that your experience fell short of our usual high standards and hope that our Sales Manager was able to assist in resolving your queries. As a valued customer, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Barns Hotel so that we can prove that this most definitely not our usual standard.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Where to start... The Barns were amazing from start to finish. Our February wedding went of without a hitch, great value for money, amazing food, helpful staff, great resident DJ, great rooms and Sam our wedding planner helped us so much. After our experience I would reccomend the Barns to everyone!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear necksniff,

I was absolutely delighted when reading your comments. Thank you for choosing to hold your Wedding with us. It was so lovely to hear that everything went perfectly for you on the day.
I have passed on all your lovely feedback to all the staff.
I look forward to seeing you at The Barns Hotel again soon.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We got married here in December and everything was amazing. Staff went above and beyond the make our day perfect and were very attentive. Resident DJ is quality and would recommend to anyone. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ChloeKS,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your wedding with us. It was lovely to read that the team here at The Barns Hotel helped make your day all the more special. I have passed on your comments about the excellent service onto the team.
We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

brokenlogic18
Cambridge
Reviewed 18 February 2014

As a tripadvisor highly rated hotel combined with an appealing sounding Valentines weekend package, I booked this hotel and was highly anticipated by my wife and I for last weekend.

Our first impressions as we drove up to the hotel were very positive as it is a nice looking hotel set in some well maintained grounds overlooking the river.

However there were quite a few concerns during our stay that could be easily fixed, with one more difficult, to make this an excellent review rating, such as:

* The receptionist wasn't clear on how we could confirm to the kitchen how we wanted my steak cooked, as pre-booking our meal was a pre-requisite of the 'weekend package' and apologised that she 'wasn't English' when she at first said that breakfast wasn't included, then it was, then it wasn't and only finally confirmed again on the Sunday morning that in fact it was as we sat down to order (which I knew was the case from the original booking)!!!

* there were some high points with our meal such as home made tomato soup and the duck breast but the champagne sorbet just tasted strongly of alcohol and did anything but cleanse the pallet (we sent them both back), the ketchup tasted as if it was straight from a 'low cost unbranded sachet', which lowered our impression of the quality of the complete dish, however the ketchup served with the full English at breakfast was Heinz which didn't make sense at all as to why it wasn't served with diner, the steak was disappointing and the chips were slightly undercooked, the lemon shortbread biscuit was hard and inedible as was the second one I was brought after complaining about the first. (General comment: the dining room was very empty for a Valentine's Saturday and the bar was completely empty, which was a real surprise to us given the hotels convenient location to Bedford / Cambridge and high ratings but made us think that the issues we were seeing were keeping people from coming back a second time or being a mecca for local residents)

* The wine is disproportionately expensive compare to the food menu, we had a shiraz 'pot' for £16 in the end

* The bedroom was of a decent size and the pillows were great but the bed was extremely hard. Why only 2 sachets of sugar for a double room and an odd number of milks (5)? No pen in the room for the feedback sheet.

* The breakfast and overall selection was excellent

Overall this could have been so much better and we wouldn't have hesitated in going back again!

Room Tip: We stayed on room 47, very hard bed and noisy bathroom extractor fan
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David E
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Stayed here for two weeks. The hotel staff were very accommodating and eager to please (I had many requests!). Comfy and spacious rooms, very nice breakfast menu. Room service menu a tad limited but the food I did order was delicious.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear brokenlogic18 ,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Barns Hotel, I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us. I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team and I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future,
Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Bedford Swan Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wyboston
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel

Been to The Barns Hotel? Share your experiences!