“Outstanding”
Review of The Barns Hotel

The Barns Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed 11 May 2014

A reunion dinner for 50+ and the hotel hummed like a finely-tuned Rolls Royce. The staff are amazing - hardworking, charming, efficient, welcoming. At dinner the food was hot and delicious, wine glasses were never allowed to be empty, and the general ethos is one of charming professionalism.
The hotel itself is well-appointed with comfortable beds and spacious rooms, and the room-service breakfast was hot, plentiful, and well-cooked. I'd arrived after a lengthy journey from south Devon and sat on the terrace overlooking the river with a cool lager before me thinking I had found a small piece of paradise.
Could not be more highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Christopher W
BarnsHotel, Operations Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Christopher W

Thank you for choosing to stay and at the Barns Hotel. I am really pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us.
I have passed your lovely feedback to my team and I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future
Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here for one night on a D, B & B deal at the end of March.

We found a good deal for the time of year and decided to give this place a try.
Its a lovely setting and the restaurant served a good selection of food, cooked to a good standard. The wine was a bit expensive for what it was, but we had a lovely table in the window overlooking the river with the swans floating by.

The room was at the back of the hotel clean,comfy and spacious. The bathroom was a bit dated and needed a bit of an uplift and the towels could also do with a bit of an upgrade, but we did get free wifi.

Breakfast was great, back in the window overlooking the river, but only ducks in the morning.

Staff were attentive, pleasant and plentiful.

Overall we got a good deal and I was not disappointed, might not want to pay full price until the bathroom has been sorted out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
BarnsHotel, Operations Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear CRose8,

I was thrilled to read your comments about your recent stay with us and I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review.
It is so nice to hear that you had a wonderful evening here, I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team.
I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future,

Kind regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We held our wedding at The Barns on 5th April and I have to say, the venue and staff exceeded our expectations in every way.

I had dinner in the restaurant the night before. The food was gorgeous and the service exceptional. Each member of my family would concur. The general manager (I think his name was John) seemed to be a 'jack of all trades' and helped me with multiple items, such as storing gifts and room decorations, showing my family around and fixing a TV!! He was brilliant.

I stayed in the Manor Suite for both nights and this room is totally fabulous. Everyone who saw it during the wedding was amazed. The standalone bath made a lovely setting for some of our pictures and the room was spacious enough for all of the bridesmaids to get ready.

Prior to the ceremony I met our Master of Ceremonies (Maggie - she looked after us for the entire day) and she was so calming, when I was most stressed. Maggie organised everything so well and was really lovely. She put in a massive effort on the day and we can't thank her enough.

We held our ceremony in the Tithe Barn and I have to say it looked gorgeous. I had ordered a backdrop to cover the bar during the ceremony and it actually set the scene really well. For those getting married here and bringing their wedding music on CD, we did this and it went perfectly. We did visit the Barns prior and test the CD, I also ensured that it was very clearly labelled as to which track should play when. I was a bit worried about not having a live musician before-hand but this was spot-on. Additionally there is a jack for an iPod in the Barn if required.

Next we went into the Riverside tavern, which provided a great space for the cocktail hour. I was too busy getting pictures to try the canapés but I am told the mini burgers were lush. Additionally, the grounds and photo opportunities were beautiful and ample.

When the Barn had been turned around for the wedding breakfast our guests were in awe. The room looked positively stunning. We have since received ample compliments about the room, décor and quality of the food and the amount of wine that was flowing!

The evening do was brilliant, the DJ who came with the package, had everyone up and dancing all night. The staff were great with our guests and everyone had the best time.

All in all our day was perfect and the Barns surpassed our expectations by a long way. Thanks to Sam, Maggie and the rest of the staff for providing a 5* service. I would definitely recommend this venue and the value received through the wedding package.

1  Thank mckgem
BarnsHotel, Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear mckgem,

I was absolutely thrilled when reading your comments. thank you for choosing The Barns Hotel as your wedding venue. I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us. It was lovely to hear that everything went perfectly.

I have passed on all your lovely feedback to all the staff, in particular those you mentioned.

I look forward to seeing you at The Barns Hotel again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2014

me my wife and daughter went for some lunch at the barns hotel lovely place just by the river great views. good choice on both menus we had fish and chips worth the extra money crispy batter homemade tartar sauce and crush peas that where still green and half a lemon . and they made my daughter a little ham egg and chips very good services by Ben the waiter and great food from the chefs in the kichen

Dear Katie S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.

The chef, Ben and all the kitchen staff were delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us.
I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We attended a wedding on Easter Sunday and took advantage of the discounted 2 nights for £85 per night including breakfast. We were quite disappointed with the room as the upholstery was very tired looking and the carpet could have done with a good clean. Also, there was a large chip in the bottom of the bath tub. (Room 26). The duvet had obviously been washed and the filling had spread in small pockets leaving pockets of nothing throughout. I asked for it to be replaced and it was - by another duvet with "lumps" of filling and areas of nothing. Having said that the bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed two good nights' sleep.

I was a little disappointed with the view from the room - overlooking a flat roof and a wall on the other side of it but the room was very quiet.

When we came to use the shower, we couldn't get the water to go any warmer than luke warm so we thought we weren't using it correctly. We called for help and the housekeeper came and tried - and failed. Result - I had to go along the corridor to another room to take a shower which was obviously less than satisfactory. We were offered another room but, just 2 hours prior to the wedding we were attending, we wouldn't have had time to move and to also get ready for the wedding.

We had a fabulous time at the wedding and all the staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful.

Unfortunately, the breakfasts we were given fell very short of the quality we were expecting considering it is a four star hotel. At the first morning's breakfast we were served beans in a ramikin in the middle of the plate surrounded by 1 rasher of bacon (undercooked) 1 sausage, 1 half of tomato (core in), 3 potato wedges, 1 slice of mushroom and 1 fried egg (the menu had stated we had a choice of how our eggs were cooked but we were told by the waitress that "it comes with a fried egg". My husband also opted for the black pudding but found it inedible as it was hard as a rock. On the second day I couldn't finish mine as the bacon was grossly undercooked (almost raw). Also the size of the sausage had shrunk and was barely larger than a cocktail sausage, I had two tiny ends of potato (they were too small to be called wedges), the tomato and fried egg were overcooked and the toast looked as if it had been in the toaster for all of 15 seconds.

Even though we were given a £15 refund on our bill, this hotel did not meet our expectations of the quality you would expect in a 4 star hotel. We have stayed in 3 star hotels that provided superior rooms and far, far better food and cost a heck of a lot less per night.

We were there for a wedding but if I have the need to come back to Bedford at all in the future, I think I would probably book into a Premier Inn rather than stay in this disappointing (and over priced) hotel again.

1  Thank Hotshot181
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We held our Wedding here in March and it matched our expectations. it was a 2nd wedding for both of us and it really was a perfect day. The staff were all very friendly and efficient, special thanks to Mags and Simon who were exceptional. The food was excellent and all guests commented how good it was, the service was non intrusive but very efficient and the Barn was perfect for both the Ceremony and the meal afterwards.

The rooms were well equipped and bathrooms of a good size, our room had bathrobes supplied too. All in all I would recommend this hotel for a Wedding with good service, excellent food at a reasonable price. We took our own wine and champagne and paid corkage and the staff poured as we requested. We had a great day. thank you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank holidayqueen3

Dear holidayqueen3,

I was thrilled to read your comments about your recent stay with us and I am so pleased that you felt compelled to to leave sucha a glowing review.
It is so nice to hear that the team managed to make your day special for you. I have passed on all your lovely feedback to the team and I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2014

On Sunday 30th March the Tithe Barn in the grounds of the Barnes Hotel was the venue for our parents Golden Wedding Celebrations. From the minute we arrived to set up on Sunday morning till we left in the Evening the staff couldn’t have been more helpful and professional.
I don’t remember everyone’s names but some who deserve a special mention are Hazel who I kept interrupting all morning with my various requests for help but who continued to smile and offer all the assistance we needed.
Also Nikki who organized the staff throughout the afternoon and arranged for the Riverside Bar to be opened early to accommodate us with pre-event drinks, she was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them. Add too all that the fantastic food served by the Kitchen plus the speed with which the immaculately turned out waiters and waitress’s served in the Barn and it’s no wonder all our 70 guests were so complimentary about the Barnes Hotel and its staff.
Our events organizer, Florence, also did a great job helping us during the preparations and tolerating last minute changes and emails requesting various items for our day. Everything I asked for was there as promised and enabled us to provide my parents a 50th Anniversary celebration none of us will ever forget.
Well done The Barnes Hotel !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank chris c
BarnsHotel, Operations Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear chris c

I was delighted to read all your lovely comments about your parents golden wedding celebrations.
I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team and I hope to welcome you back to the Barns Hotel again in the future

Kind regards