“Perfect ”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Perfect ”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went on the 24th of May for a wedding reception, the room was small but lovely, the deco was lovely, the bed extra comfortable, the shower was a bit iffy with the temp, but the bath was lovely, chairs where comfortable the tv was a good size. The food in the restraunt was average, didn't expect too much, and was a bit disappointed that there wasn't a cocktail menu, but thankfully I know cocktails!
The staff where lovely and polite. But beware, the walls to the room are thin, so if your planning on having some fun, be silent unless you want banging on the wall and being shouted at!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jasmine F
BarnsHotel, Operations Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Jasmine F

Thank you for choosing the Barns Hotel, I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us. It so nice to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

I have passed on all your feedback to my team and I look forward to seeing you again soon at the Barns Hotel

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
cambridge
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went here for a wedding & reception in February, lovely room for service and reception .you have to move out of the wedding venue so staff can set up for the reception but a part of the bar is set aside for guests. Then guests are allowed back into the barn for reception. All decorated nice and extremely warm in fact too hot even for February. The rooms in the hotel are good and comfortable if not a little on the pricy side. Food was average I would say for a large gathering of guests but was hot and staff were good. The following morning tables were set aside for wedding guests. check out was a little of a pantomime as everyone of the wedding party wanted to check out all at once so this caused the staff a headache, but after an orderly wait all was fine.

Ideal for a romantic wedding with river side setting for those getting married in summertime .

Room Tip: If your a guest and weather is a bit iffy then keep an umbrella to hand whilst walking between barn...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bondfans
Dear Bondfans

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Barns Hotel, I am pleased that you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us.

I have passed all your feedback on to my team and I hope to welcome you back to the Barns Hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Plus points:-
Hotel looks good and room was comfortable and clean. Location by the river is nice. Food was adequate. Staff are good (generally)
On the minus side:-
On arrival we thought that a drink and a meal in the Riverside Tavern would be nice. The receptionist seemed a bit surprised and we later found that this part only seems to open for weddings etc.
The menu showed whole turbot for about £18 (?). I had to have this! But what arrived was a turbot fillet-and not a very nice one at that. When I complained the waiter checked with the chef and I was informed that they had not had an expected delivery. Surely I should have been told before it arrived on the table. Got the feeling they hoped I wouldn't notice! They offered free deserts to compensate.
On the second night we popped into the restaurant to ask if we could reserve the table we had had the previous night. "Yes" to the booking but "No" to the specific table reservation. It is first come first served! Really unusual I thought especially as they weren't busy! We did consider eating elsewhere but it is nice to relax in your own hotel with food and drink and so we did try the hotel restaurant again that second night ( and were "lucky" enough to get our favourite table again as it wasn't busy. The whole turbot was on the menu again that night but I copped out and had the fillet steak which was very good.
Overall it's a nice place to stay - and if you're having a wedding there it's probably very good - but to my mind it's overpriced and they've got illusions of grandeur if they think they are 4 star. If there again we'd stay at the Premier inn on the other side if the lake because you know what to expect there!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eaters53
Dear Eaters53

Thank you very much for leaving us a review, however I was most disappointed to read some of your negative comments.
I would like to start by offering my sincere apologies and I have raised all the points you made with the team. Please be reassured that all your comments have been used for retraining purposes so that we can prevent this situation from happening again.
I do accept that on this occasion we have fallen short of our high standards that we set ourselves.
I would like to apologise again, and I hope that if you are ever in the Bedford area again you will pop in and see us so we can show our best to you.
Kind regards
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

A reunion dinner for 50+ and the hotel hummed like a finely-tuned Rolls Royce. The staff are amazing - hardworking, charming, efficient, welcoming. At dinner the food was hot and delicious, wine glasses were never allowed to be empty, and the general ethos is one of charming professionalism.
The hotel itself is well-appointed with comfortable beds and spacious rooms, and the room-service breakfast was hot, plentiful, and well-cooked. I'd arrived after a lengthy journey from south Devon and sat on the terrace overlooking the river with a cool lager before me thinking I had found a small piece of paradise.
Could not be more highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Christopher W
Dear Christopher W

Thank you for choosing to stay and at the Barns Hotel. I am really pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us.
I have passed your lovely feedback to my team and I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future
Kind Regards
Surrey, England
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Stayed here for one night on a D, B & B deal at the end of March.

We found a good deal for the time of year and decided to give this place a try.
Its a lovely setting and the restaurant served a good selection of food, cooked to a good standard. The wine was a bit expensive for what it was, but we had a lovely table in the window overlooking the river with the swans floating by.

The room was at the back of the hotel clean,comfy and spacious. The bathroom was a bit dated and needed a bit of an uplift and the towels could also do with a bit of an upgrade, but we did get free wifi.

Breakfast was great, back in the window overlooking the river, but only ducks in the morning.

Staff were attentive, pleasant and plentiful.

Overall we got a good deal and I was not disappointed, might not want to pay full price until the bathroom has been sorted out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BarnsHotel, Operations Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear CRose8,

I was thrilled to read your comments about your recent stay with us and I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review.
It is so nice to hear that you had a wonderful evening here, I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team.
I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future,

Kind regards,
Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We held our wedding at The Barns on 5th April and I have to say, the venue and staff exceeded our expectations in every way.

I had dinner in the restaurant the night before. The food was gorgeous and the service exceptional. Each member of my family would concur. The general manager (I think his name was John) seemed to be a 'jack of all trades' and helped me with multiple items, such as storing gifts and room decorations, showing my family around and fixing a TV!! He was brilliant.

I stayed in the Manor Suite for both nights and this room is totally fabulous. Everyone who saw it during the wedding was amazed. The standalone bath made a lovely setting for some of our pictures and the room was spacious enough for all of the bridesmaids to get ready.

Prior to the ceremony I met our Master of Ceremonies (Maggie - she looked after us for the entire day) and she was so calming, when I was most stressed. Maggie organised everything so well and was really lovely. She put in a massive effort on the day and we can't thank her enough.

We held our ceremony in the Tithe Barn and I have to say it looked gorgeous. I had ordered a backdrop to cover the bar during the ceremony and it actually set the scene really well. For those getting married here and bringing their wedding music on CD, we did this and it went perfectly. We did visit the Barns prior and test the CD, I also ensured that it was very clearly labelled as to which track should play when. I was a bit worried about not having a live musician before-hand but this was spot-on. Additionally there is a jack for an iPod in the Barn if required.

Next we went into the Riverside tavern, which provided a great space for the cocktail hour. I was too busy getting pictures to try the canapés but I am told the mini burgers were lush. Additionally, the grounds and photo opportunities were beautiful and ample.

When the Barn had been turned around for the wedding breakfast our guests were in awe. The room looked positively stunning. We have since received ample compliments about the room, décor and quality of the food and the amount of wine that was flowing!

The evening do was brilliant, the DJ who came with the package, had everyone up and dancing all night. The staff were great with our guests and everyone had the best time.

All in all our day was perfect and the Barns surpassed our expectations by a long way. Thanks to Sam, Maggie and the rest of the staff for providing a 5* service. I would definitely recommend this venue and the value received through the wedding package.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
BarnsHotel, Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear mckgem,

I was absolutely thrilled when reading your comments. thank you for choosing The Barns Hotel as your wedding venue. I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us. It was lovely to hear that everything went perfectly.

I have passed on all your lovely feedback to all the staff, in particular those you mentioned.

I look forward to seeing you at The Barns Hotel again soon.

Kind Regards,
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

me my wife and daughter went for some lunch at the barns hotel lovely place just by the river great views. good choice on both menus we had fish and chips worth the extra money crispy batter homemade tartar sauce and crush peas that where still green and half a lemon . and they made my daughter a little ham egg and chips very good services by Ben the waiter and great food from the chefs in the kichen

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
BarnsHotel, Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Katie S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.

The chef, Ben and all the kitchen staff were delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us.
I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Bedford Swan Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wyboston
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel

Been to The Barns Hotel? Share your experiences!