“PLEASANT”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Ecton, United Kingdom
“PLEASANT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Wine Glass Restaurant, within the Barns Hotel is situated on the banks of the Great Ouse. One can watch the sailing craft drift by in a rather idillic setting. Drawn to this establishment by a TravelZoo Promotion which certainly was good value for money, however I would have been somewhat disppointed if I had to pay the 'regular price'. Good menu and good quality food, which was well prepared. We were there for a mid-week lunch, not busy, excellent waitress. Would return again. Good parking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
BarnsHotel, Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear John_CI7087EN,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review.
The chef and all the kitchen staff were delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us.

I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Kindest regards

The Barns Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Greek first
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

On 26th July 2014 I arranged a birthday celebration at this hotel. I booked it the previous September and my contact in the hotel made sure that the celebration for approx.100 people was properly planned and provided excellent support up until the day of the party. We had 62 people sitting down to a 3 course meal at 3pm - the food was excellent and the service efficient. The manager in charge on the day could not have done more to be helpful and contributed to the success of the day. The evening also went well with a retro band and a buffet for which I received the comment subsequently from one of my friends "it was the best buffet I had ever had". I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for any celebratory event. Everyone who stayed overnight considered the rooms comfortable/good and the breakfast was v tasty.

1 Thank SteveWPearce
Dear SteveWPearce,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am so pleased that your birthday celebrations went well & all of your guests enjoyed themselves!

I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future,

Kindest regards

The Barns Hotel Team
Shefford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had stayed in Bedford (not at the Barnes) for the River Festival and decided to have an evening meal in the Barnes Restaurant. The weather was fabulous so we were very happy to be given a lovely table on the balcony overlooking the river.

Our meal met all our expectations; the menu had a good range of dishes, each course was fresh and perfectly cooked, and the portion size was just right. We chose a medium priced wine from the more than adequate wine list.

The service was ... relaxed. Had the wait for each course been 2 minutes longer then it would have been slow. Each time we had got to the point of thinking, "about time the food arrived" when it did! Having said that, the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and had clearly been trained to a good standard. Given the beautiful surroundings are great weather "relaxed" was fine.

We took coffee inside in the lounge and the staff were not phased by our moving rooms.

Overall, a very pleasant evening to a good standard so we will most certainly return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
BarnsHotel, Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear MrAscot264,

Thank you for choosing to dine with us at The Barns Hotel the weekend of the Riverside Festival. What a brillaint weekend it was! I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us.
I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team and I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Kind regards
Luton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I attended a wedding here and although the setting is beautiful by the river and the grounds are lovely, the disabled toilet is not fit for the purpose. One of the guests was in a wheelchair and she had to suffer the embarrassment and indignity of having to leave the door open whilst she went to the toilet because the room isn't big enough. It should be 4 times larger and I'm surprised it has passed any standards, on top of that it is the only one. Although some of the kerbs are dropped, they are not flat and wheelchair users cannot go up and down them unaided. As for the meal, the starter and dessert were OK, but the main course was small and the only enjoyable food on the plate was the roast potatoes.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hazel L
South West England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at "The Barns" a few years ago for a local Christening, and our experience was somewhat disappointing. It's in a lovely location by the River, and the buildings and gardens look lovely from the outside, but it is quite dark and dingy inside.
Our room, for the price, was only okay - it was clean, small, very hot, and if you opened the windows, which overlooked the car park, you got all the noise of car doors opening & closing and people standing outside chatting & smoking until the wee small hours of the morning. Not very restful.
We arrived early and wanted to have a Bar Lunch with a friend who had come to see us, but all they could offer were rather uninteresting sandwiches, which were not very appetising.
The Bar area is dark, and whilst parts of the restaurant have windows, there is no ambience whatsoever, and the furnishings are very average.
We stayed 2 nights, as did several other friends who had come for the same Christening nearby, and we were all somewhat disappointed with this hotel.
On the second morning, we had booked a table for Breakfast for about 8 adults and a small child, for 10am. When everyone had arrived, we went into the Restaurant, only to discover that the member of staff in charge that morning, had decided to switch off all the hot containers for the breakfast food prior to our ordering/choosing our food. So we had to wait, while they were switched on again and more food was cooked for us.
Now, my husband and I were paying for this breakfast for the whole group, and it was absolutely chaotic. We kept having to ask for everything. By the end of the morning, we were not at all happy with it, but paid anyway, and also complained. Apologies were not very forthcoming, nor did they seem like genuine apologies - merely "words".
All in all, our experience at this hotel was certainly not great, and certainly not worth the prices they charge. Some staff were pleasant and friendly, whilst others (mainly more senior staff) were the complete opposite.
Now, the main reason we stayed there was for easy access to the Church where the Christening was being held.
Despite that previous experience, we thought that this summer, when we had another Christening to attend in Bedford, we'd give the hotel "a second chance", in the hope that things would have improved.
So.. some months ago, we again phoned the hotel and booked a room for 2 nights . At the time of booking, we were advised that, if we phoned the hotel about 2 weeks prior to our due arrival date, we could avail ourselves of the hotel's "Seasonal Special Rates", which would take £100 off the original price quoted.
Hence, on 18th July 2014, I rang the hotel to ask for the Special Seasonal Rate to be applied to our booking, which is for early August. The Receptionist advised me that this had to be done "online" and could NOT be done over the phone . I said that at initial booking, I had been told I could do this by phone. She said "No". i then asked if their website accepted PayPal for payments and she went off to find out. Returned and said "No PayPal". I then asked to speak to the Manager, and was advised the Manager wasn't in at present, but would phone me later, which she did - about 15 minutes later. The Manager promptly and vociferously denied that any of her staff would have stated that the rates could be altered via a phone call. In the end, I got so angry, that I cancelled my booking for the early Aug.2014 dates, and advised the Manager that I would require confirmation of my cancellation in writing - e-mail or letter, and that i would not pay any cancellation charges, nor would I ever recommend this hotel to anyone - in fact - quite the opposite. Both those members of staff - Receptionist and Manager - may care to re-think their very rude and totally unacceptable attitudes to their customers/potential customers.
My husband and I have been in the Hotel and Catering Industry for many, many years - my husband all his working life (over 50 years) in the Catering Industry, and I have been in "Customer Services" related work all my working life, and have never experienced such appalling attitudes as these Hotel staff displayed ! Yes - I am very angry, and yes, I may have been a tad rude, latterly, myself, for which I apologise, but this hotel and these staff need to remember who the customer is, and that customers expect excellent service, flexibility and a professional attitude from those in Hotels, or in any customer orientated business ! I rest my case,...

Room Tip: Not overlooking the Car Park
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank VETTRIANISTA
BarnsHotel, Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Mrs Broggini,

Although I have great sympathy with your complaint about your poor experience of our hotel a few years ago whilst attending a local christening, I am very sorry but I cannot comment about a situation which happened so long ago. There have been many staff changes over that time. I do hope your complaint was dealt with satisfactorily at the time.

However I am very concerned about your comments re. your latest booking attempt. I apologise profusely for what was an obvious mis-understanding. I can assure you that the relevant staff have been spoken to, and lessons learnt. We take great pride in our customer service which is usually of a very high standard; as evidenced by the vast majority of our reviews received.

I sincerely hope that you will stay with us again in the future, in order that we can make amends for our shortcomings on this occasion.

Once again I apologise for the unpleasant experience, and obvious inconvenience, that you were put to.

Yours sincerely.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Overall the hotel is just average, however not average price to stay, the food is very average, the internet is very poor quality and the rooms are at best premier inn standard, The food was very average although the staff are willing and very friendly. In fairness to the review if the room rate was a third cheaper it would be easier to accept the negative aspects, overall I felt like it was a 3 star hotel charging 5 star money.

Bury, Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

A very nice hotel and such a change from the stereotype large hotel groups. Personal service was no problem. We had organised a buffet for a medium sized group attending an event at the nearby Shuttleworth Collection. The food was excellent with roast beef the best many had tasted. The situation just by the River Great Ouse was great and we were treated to several pleasure boats passing during the evening. Service was good with nothing being any trouble at all. The rooms are fine, clean and quiet and with the usual facilities provided. A bonus was the chocolates and prosecco provided as part of the package and already in the room on arrival. Altogether I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We requested a room away from the tithe barn wedding venue and even though there was a wedding takin...
BarnsHotel, Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear RodandAlly,

I was so pleased to read your wonderful comments about your stay with us. I have passed on your comments to the Barns Hotel team, especially our Kitchen. It's great to hear your guests really enjoyed the food. I hope to see you again at the Barns Hotel soon.

Kindest Regards,