“Mixed feelings...” 3 of 5 bubbles

d'Parys Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Bedford
“Mixed feelings...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We visited d'Parys for the second time to celebrate my mother in laws birthday last night, we sat in the garden for an hour before the meal; the garden and restaurant are beautiful with a lovely relaxing atmosphere. We ordered our meals and service was great so far, polite, friendly and informative.

We then all thoroughly enjoyed our various starters from the main menu... duck dumplings, cheese fritters and cured prawns and also a gazpacho soup from the specials board. We could not fault any of them, all were delicious and and a good portion size!

The mains however were very disappointing, the Moroccan fish pie was sent back to be reheated as it was only luke warm, two of the party had ribs and both people scraped the sauce off of them as it was far too "tangy.

My husband and I both ordered burgers, mine was from the main menu at £14.95 and his from the specials board at £17.95, at these prices we knew we were paying over the odds for burgers but thought they would be special, unfortunately they were both very mediocre. They completely lacked flavour, were dry and a small lump of cheese was melted onto mine which was solid where it must have been sat around for a while. It was served with a tiny pot of coleslaw and chips, on the plus side the chips were very nice!

For dessert I ordered two scoops of ice cream which was oddly served to me in two individual cardboard tubs, others had coffee's- all were enjoyed.

By this point the table had not once been cleared of glasses so my husband had his pint glass as well the two previous glasses he had used, they also served the final pint in a normal bitter glass, not in an Estrella glass therefore making the beer lose its fizz as the Estrella glass has an etching on the bottom to prevent this. Perhaps if they had cleared the glasses from the table they could have avoided this?!

Overall we had a lovely evening in a beautiful setting with great atmosphere. Unfortunately the problems we experienced were the same as on our first visit- substandard main courses and varied service. D'Parys has the potential to be the best place in town and I really hope these problems are ironed out quickly as I would like to return in the future and be able to recommend it! Wishing them the best of luck for the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Beckie232

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

What a lovely done up building! a super improvement.
However we arrived at 19.30 with a party of 40. The dinner was pre booked and all dinners ordered and payed for in advance! One of our party was delayed and the orders were not served untill 21.30!!!!!The policy is to wait till all guests have arrived????
The main course was good, but to have your icecream served in a tiny cardbord tub with a pastic little spoon was what what made me think not to book this for our Chrismas venue!
A great shame because the hotel was beautifull. Sort it out De Parys because Bedford good do with a Stunning place like "The Parys"

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dieuwke2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on Tuesday 8th July and was very surprised off how lovely it looked outside. On going in it was beautifully decorated and had a lovely feel to the place.
My room was room 7 what a lovely spacious room and very nicely decorated and most importantly very very clean.
I went for breakfast in the morning and recognised a young lady I know as Emma who used too be head off house at the embankment and was really impressed in the way she remembered who I was and took time too engage in a conversation with me. She introduced Keely another a housekeeper who I fort were (sisters) too me pleasant lovely girls they asked me if my stay was ok and took time too show me around a few off the rooms and I must say they are all lovely and beautifully kept good work housekeepers keep them smiles and laughs coming that's what makes a visit more pleasant well done

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ellie P
Sevenoaks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at d'parys for one night in July - the standard of accommodation was superb. We had room 15 and I would have expected to pay twice the price for a room of this standard.
The restaurant was very reasonably priced and the service was excellent - probably because everything else about the hotel was so exceptional we were slightly disappointed with our main courses - they were still very good and in any other hotel we would have probably rated the food as excellent - but because of the exceptional standard elsewhere they didn't quite live up to our expectations - on saying that breakfast was superb and I would still highly recommend d'parys as both a hotel and a restaurant and will definitely stay there again next time I am in Bedford

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
2 Thank Familynnss
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

A very impressive bar and dining area ( we had dinner and didn't stay overnight ) and the staff were friendly and competent. My two colleagues had no complaints about the food, and my starter was terrific. However, my main course was disappointing inasmuch as the meat was very tough and I was unable to eat all of it. Also, my whisky tumbler was either dirty or dish washer worn. I will dine there again to give it another chance.
De Parys IS , though, a great asset to Bedford -a town which could use a tad more sophistication.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay at this hotel, the first shortly after the refurbished Du Parys opened. I left a review then and gave feedback on my stay to the hotel directly but nothing I fed back had been taken notice of. In fact I found the early enthusiasm of the staff had gone completely . There was no one to check us in or to check us out the following morning, we just left our keys on the counter. My room was above the garage, up some extremely steep and I have to say, slightly dangerous metal spiral stairs. The room , again, design over practicality . Whoever put these rooms together only wanted marks for the design rather than the ease of use and logic. I had wardrobes with glass doors...why would I want to sit and look at my clothes hanging up and the spare hangers. The bath at the foot of the bed is a complete waste of time. I wonder how often the maids have to clean these baths plonked right at the foot of your bed....this is not the place for a bath. My toilet/shower room was rather empty, not even a hook on the back of the door for a robe, no shelf to put toiletries on, no towel rail to put towels - bizarre lack of any thought. My bed was so close to the shower room door I could put a foot out of bed straight into the shower room. There was only a tiny bathroom waste bin in the room. The sink was right at the other end of the room so getting out of the shower and wanting to use the sink meant a fair walk to it. Biggest issue was the skylights right above the bed, two of them. Yes they had blinds but no way to close them. Unless you are 7 foot tall you couldn't close the one over the bed even standing on the pillows - ridiculous. As the sun rose at 4.30am I was wide awake at this point and very annoyed with daylight streaming in. While the bed is fabulously comfortable it just doesn't compensate for all the other irritating problems and useless design features. Breakfast was poor, soft boiled egg cooked hard boiled. Waitress disappeared for ages and couldn't be found to ask for anything. Come on Du Parys, get into those rooms and stay in them and sort out the annoying bits. Get the service back to the great standards they were.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Craig M, Manager at d'Parys Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank-You for taking the time to leave us another very detailed review, we have trained and retrained the check in/check out process. However the other issues you raise or have raised previously we cannot change they are there by design and not by accident. We do have rooms that are slightly smaller which don’t have the features you don’t like for example only one of our rooms has a spiral staircase and sky lights so please give us a call before booking and we will try to find a suitable room. – d’Parys
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here on our wedding night. Our room was amazing -side by side baths, comfy bed, love the decor and traditional furniture and to top it breakfast was great! Perfect way to end the perfect day! Only negative is that I didn't think the staff were very friendly, no help in with bags etc.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Craig M, Manager at d'Parys Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Freya – Thank-You for choosing to stay at the d’Parys for such an important occasion. I’m so pleased to hear you had an excellent stay, enjoying our rooms, decor and breakfast. We really do hope you come to visit us again very soon and we will carry your bags next time. – d’Parys.