“a little let down”
Review of d'Parys Hotel

d'Parys Hotel
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Myself and some girlfriends booked this amazing looking hotel as a bit of a weekend treat whilst visiting a vintage festival. The thought of chilling out in a roll top bath was blissful. However, not all rooms are lucky enough to have such a luxury so do not be fooled by online photos and think all rooms have one. Also be aware that 2 of the rooms are actually outside the main building in a refurbished coach house, both are done up lovely but sadly let down by their close (and I mean close) proximity to the kitchen (rather noisey ) and the fact that you are forced to have your curtains closed (unless you want the kitchen staff, and other staff members on their cigarette breaks gawping into your room whilst you relax in your room).
The room had a rather fancy Nespresso coffee machine, perfect for that morning brew. Or not, no instructions could be found to work said machine, so I had to Google instructions!
The weather was a little fresh (august bank holiday) so I thought I would pop the radiator on before I went to meet the girls for dinner, return 3 hours later. No heat in the radiators. Wander back out to the main building as no phone in the room, to advise my radiator fails to get warm. I am informed it is all run off a main control in the main building, all well and good if your in the main building and not outside!
All that said, the hotel overall is lovely and finished to a high standard, just let down by a few issues. The meal in the restaurant was fantastic! As too was the breakfast.

Room Tip: If you love the thought of a roll top bath, ask for one!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hannah M

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Hublot and I were in Bedford for a family party and booked this accommodation through booking.com. We called ahead and asked if we could check in earlier, as our party was meeting at 2pm - they were very accommodating and let us check in at 11am, which enabled us to take in our surroundings. We had to pay on arrival, which suited the set-up of the D'Parys fine and were quickly shown to our room; what a spectacular room this was. comprising a queen sized 4 poster bed, stripped back floorboards and twin bathtubs in the room - the most modern feature in the room was the nespresso machine, not a room for people who like lots of "tech" around them.

The property itself is a 5 minute walk from Bedford town, which has the great river Ouse running through it, which makes for a lovely riverside walk in the park.

This property comes highly recommended and we'll certainly come again when we're next in the neck of the woods - especially if we're given room 8

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Val A
Reviewed 17 August 2014

When we arrived are first impression was WOW. The décor is great and well thought out, which raised our expectations . Unfortunately that is the only positive comment I can make. The food was terrible and service really poor. It is such a shame as the upgrade of the hotel makes for a venue you want to visit. We would pop in for a drink but until the food changes wouldn't waste our money on such poor quality food and service again.
I am not one to complain and have never felt compelled to leave a review before but our experience was not good and what you see is not what you get. You need to up your game d'parys

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank lisa h
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I never saw this place before and was amazed when I went in. The decoration and layout of the bar, dining and outdoor areas is well thought and planned. The service was not bad; I realised the staff is very young and inexperienced but they certainly tried their best. The food is not good value for money. I have been there twice and had the 'special' burger for £17-95. An astronomic price for the mediocre quality that was produced. I have paid less at Roast in London for a high quality beef burger. Second time I visited the place, I ordered a salad and was poor. We had a creme caramel and was tasteless and poorly made. We complained and we did not even get an apology. Would I visit the place again? Yes, but will go there to have a drink and a small snack. It has a lovely atmosphere that cannot be found in any of the other places in Bedford. I do hope they change the chef and they realise that if they want to keep their high prices they need to produce outstanding food. As other reviewers have commented it has a big potential to become a great restaurant let us hope the owners take these reviews seriously.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Matebel
Reviewed 4 August 2014

De'pary''s hotel in Bedford is outstanding!! We have just returned from staying the weekend and we will definitely be booking at this hotel again. Upon arrival, the staff were both professional yet friendly and very smartly dressed. The room was beautiful, outstandingly clean, a large bed adorned the corner of the room, positioned in such a way that the room felt huge! with down filld bedding, mattress topper (tho the mattress itself was so deep and of v.high quality) and large down filld cushions, it felt like we were enveloped in a soft marshmallow. It was heaven!! You didn't even have to get out of the bed to turn the lights off as all the switches were duplicated on the bed head, along with a docking station for the iPod, iPhone. There was a luxurious bath with fluffy white pristine towels in the room, and a surrounding snug seat, wow!! If you don't fancy a romantic bath with the other half, the wet room was very good also.(still big enuf for two) (Very romantic weekend - without even venturing out of the room or hotel). I wondered if we would be disturbed with noise from the hotel restaurant or wine/dining garden - however the heavy curtains draping the window (again so luxurious yet simple to the eye) and triple glazed glass let no noise thru whatsoever. The added perks of a coffee maker, hand made individually wrapped biscuits were a lovely treat. A hair dryer and plenty of mirrors offer every girl a place to pamper. Toiletries were also provided. After the best nights sleep we've had in a long time, in such a heavenly bed, it was then down to breakfast. This was again was outstanding with a very good choice of cooked dishes, from a full English to salmon and scrambled eggs. Fresh fruit, muesli, dried fruit, yoghurt, continental selection, we're all included in the price. All in all we would definitely recommend a stay here. I have stayed in countless hotels yet this was one of the best for that price range. In fact I would have paid a extra £100 per night it was that good!!! It's a steal at £95 for a sat night inclusive of breakfast. This is a little jem! Get yourselves there you won't be dissapointed!

Room Tip: All the rooms were amaing
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I would just like to say I was blown away at the fantastic new look of the hotel it is amazing.
Charlie was our waiter for the evening for myself and my 2 lady friends who where helping me celebrate my Anniversary as my husband could not be there. The wine was lovely we had the Prosecco and we had the steak burger wow it was gorgeous. Charlie was a brilliant waiter and helped make the evening very special. I will definitely return and tell all my friends and family. Thank you very much Suzanne Dickson

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We visited d'Parys for the second time to celebrate my mother in laws birthday last night, we sat in the garden for an hour before the meal; the garden and restaurant are beautiful with a lovely relaxing atmosphere. We ordered our meals and service was great so far, polite, friendly and informative.

We then all thoroughly enjoyed our various starters from the main menu... duck dumplings, cheese fritters and cured prawns and also a gazpacho soup from the specials board. We could not fault any of them, all were delicious and and a good portion size!

The mains however were very disappointing, the Moroccan fish pie was sent back to be reheated as it was only luke warm, two of the party had ribs and both people scraped the sauce off of them as it was far too "tangy.

My husband and I both ordered burgers, mine was from the main menu at £14.95 and his from the specials board at £17.95, at these prices we knew we were paying over the odds for burgers but thought they would be special, unfortunately they were both very mediocre. They completely lacked flavour, were dry and a small lump of cheese was melted onto mine which was solid where it must have been sat around for a while. It was served with a tiny pot of coleslaw and chips, on the plus side the chips were very nice!

For dessert I ordered two scoops of ice cream which was oddly served to me in two individual cardboard tubs, others had coffee's- all were enjoyed.

By this point the table had not once been cleared of glasses so my husband had his pint glass as well the two previous glasses he had used, they also served the final pint in a normal bitter glass, not in an Estrella glass therefore making the beer lose its fizz as the Estrella glass has an etching on the bottom to prevent this. Perhaps if they had cleared the glasses from the table they could have avoided this?!

Overall we had a lovely evening in a beautiful setting with great atmosphere. Unfortunately the problems we experienced were the same as on our first visit- substandard main courses and varied service. D'Parys has the potential to be the best place in town and I really hope these problems are ironed out quickly as I would like to return in the future and be able to recommend it! Wishing them the best of luck for the future!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family