“Nice pub... food a little disappointing”
Review of The Woolpack Inn

The Woolpack Inn
Ranked #74 of 426 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Nice pub... food a little disappointing”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We went for dinner in the Woolpack for the first time again after a year or so. The atmosphere and service were nice, however the food was quite disappointing. We had the fresh mussels which were delicious but for the price the number of shells was minute. We were not offered new napkins after the wet starter and had to ask for them My tuna was dried out and lukewarm and the nicoise had not a caper or black olive in sight and were replaced by anchovies which I hate. The presentation was nice overall but a bit overpriced for what it was.

• Visited March 2014

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“A Fantastic Restaurant”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

I live very close to this pub/restaurant and regularly eat here. The food is absolutely spot on every time, the staff are great and the selection of real ale perfect. On my most recent visit I was welcomed like a valued guest with a smile, the staff ask everyone how they are and never leave a guest unnatended without a drink or their table. I was served very quickly and was accommodated for well with conversation and table checks by the staff. I ate salmon which was stunning, I would eat it again and again. I recommend this restaurant, a little gem and somewhere that needs more publicity.

UK
“Yum Yum !”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Amazing value for money (ie £7.95 for 2 courses at lunch time Mon to Fri) .Excellant food,beautifully presented ,delightful service. The dining room is very small,and you really need to book,we went 2 years ago,and had a great meal,and have been 3 times this year,and it remains so good .It is delightful,we have taken friends there,and we will all return.

• Visited January 2014
Clophill, England, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I've eaten at the Woolpack twice in the last few weeks and have had a great experience on both occasions. The food was excellent and reasonably priced, the staff were friendly and efficient and they do a nice pint of real ale to wash it down with. I'll be going back again soon.

• Visited January 2014
Bedfordshire
“Oh dear, don't know what's happened to the usual high quality”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We've eaten here so many times over the past few years and the quality of food and presentation has always been excellent. Far better than typical pub food. Unfortunately, our meal this Saturday night fell far below its usual excellent standards.

It took an age for the waitress to bring a menu round and even longer to take our order and longer again to receive any food. As I've said we eat here regularly so we know how good the service usually is but it wasn't up to par this weekend.

Two of us ordered the tomato and basil soup for starters and it was awful. Watery, tasteless and just downright disappointing. The bread that accompanied it was overcooked too. The 3rd member of our party ordered seafood broth, which suggests a seafood soup but when it came there was no broth and when we asked the waitress why not, she said, broth in this case was the oily coating on the bottom of the bowl???

Two of our party thoroughly enjoyed their ribs and lamb shank main courses but my beef wellington was well below the standard of one I enjoyed on a previous visit. That wellington's pastry was coked to perfection and it was filled with a big slab of fillet steak that was still pink inside. It has a tasty mushroom filling and the red wine sauce was lovely too. This time there was a miniscule sinew filled meat that I can't believe was fillet steak and because it was so small, was hopelessly overcooked. The pastry was burnt in places and the some of the potatoes were charred in places too. Needless to say I left most of it uneaten which is unusual for me.

I would have said something to the owner as we always make a point of speaking to him when the food is good, but he wasn't there on Saturday. If I had been marking my meal I'm sorry but I would have given it a 1 star this time but because my companions enjoyed their mains on balance I've given the meal a 3 star rating.

I do hope this is a one off blip because this is usually one of our favourite pubs to visit with family and friends.

• Visited February 2014