“Cakes and Hygiene at Fancy”
Review of Fancy Bakery

Fancy Bakery
Ranked #2 of 4 Bakeries in Bedford
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Cakes and Hygiene at Fancy”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The comment made recently regarding "Fly Infestation"! (very harsh). I have worked in the food industry in many places for many years. I use fancy often and have done for many years. I can say with hand on heart that if 3 flies were in Fancy it wouldn't count as an infestation and in no way does this contribute to poor hygiene, (Fancy has the highest standard in Food Hygiene). I also doubt that the likes of major supermarket chains, cake shops, delis. coffee shops, fast food outlets the list is endless, would also deserve such harsh comments about "3 Flies". The truth of the matter is "Fancy" has impeccable food hygiene standards, the fact that the member of staff for a split second omitted to put the dome back on the food and a fly was seen to be on a cake doesn't warrant such a unrealistic comments, I for one will continue to support such a unique and very successful local business, beautiful cakes!!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Michele_29x

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Poor hygiene and fly infested cakes.”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I went to Fancy's for a couple of cakes. (Very nice cakes). The bakewell tart was uncovered and had at least 3 fly's on it. Girl was at the back in the kitchen. When I told the girl about the tart her response was 'O dear'

I purchased 2 slices of cake and the girl left both cakes uncovered after serving me and went into the back of the shop. Now 3 cakes uncovered. so unless you like your cakes fly infested,
well I am not purchasing cakes there again. I threw my cakes in the bin.
How do I know if they were fly infested???

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Susan B
Saffron D, Owner at Fancy Bakery, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
At Fancy Bakery we take Food Hygiene very seriously. Our hygiene rating is the highest level, with a score of 5 and we work very hard to maintain this standard. My assistant did not see the alleged fly and we wonder why you continued with your purchase, after allegedly spotting a fly, only to throw the cakes away later, can't understand that at all!
“Best cakes in town”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I come here regularly with friends and family, the cakes are amazing and a great choice of hot drinks. The decor is homely and there is a little courtyard area for when the weather is warmer. I just wished it opened on Sundays as well :-)

1 Thank wendyh71
Saffron D, Owner at Fancy Bakery, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Good to hear you love the Brownies at Fancy ! thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Bedford, United Kingdom
“The best brownies in the world!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Fancy is a weekly treat for us and we usually get a couple of cakes to share as a takeaway. Never had a cake I didn't love! The brownies are out of this world though....seriously seriously good! I am a bit of a brownie addict and have not tasted better than the ones there. Cannot recommend the place highly enough.

• Visited May 2014
Heathfield, England, United Kingdom
“What a Real Treat (if you can find it)”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

How I found out about this place I can't remember. I am so glad that I did. It is not the easiest of places to find - even the signage doesn't necessarily help you. However, you will not regret hunting it down. The cakes were absolutely delicious. I would highly recommend the Chocolate, Fig and Almond Cake which was extremely moist with a lovely flavour. I would also recommend going early as some cakes had already sold out by the time that we got there (would have loved to have tried the Carrot Cake). I also had a Hot Chocolate that was made with real chocolate pieces.
A real gem very worth diverting your journey for.

Visited April 2014