“A belated birthday bash.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cornfields Restaurant & Hotel

Cornfields Restaurant & Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Bedford B&B and Inns
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A belated birthday bash.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

Treated along with five others to a late celebration of a mutual friend's birthday. Met up in the bar for a pre dinner drink, tall people mind your heads on very low beams! Nice atmosphere and we were given ample time to peruse menu and enjoy complementary nibbles. We were called through to take our seats and were all pleased with our starters ,four of us had scallops which were delicious. The restaurant was perhaps a little dark but this did give it an intimate feel. Wine list was very varied , staff were attentive without being intrusive. Main courses were all well received , I had duck which was perfectly cooked and the vegetables were fresh and tasty. The satisfaction continued with the desserts which we all ordered. Coffee accompanied by gorgeous chocolates. It is a very nice venue for a special occasion but would be a bit on the expensive side for a general night out.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Croydon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst working nearby.

Before i arrived I read the reviews which made me feel a bit concerned but looking at the pics I was sure this place would be great and I was not disappointed.

When I arrived I was taken to my room (Willow) by the owner, as I walked into my room I so pleased that this would be my home for the night, my first impressions were very good.

The room was large, clean and extremely comfortable, and the decor really did compliment the hotel and the area. My view of the fields was beautiful.

The bathroom was large, with a great bath / shower, fresh towels and complimentary products (shampoo etc).

I ate in the restaurant in the evening, the food was fantastic. I ate from the fixed price menu which had a brilliant choice of food, but there is also a la carte menu on offer. The bar area is lovely, really cozy and the wood fire going made you feel at home.

The staff were really friendly and could not do enough to ensure your stay was good.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely and set me up for the whole day.

As I said I stayed here whilst working nearby but I would be so pleased to be taken here for a romantic weekend away, it is just beautiful.

All in all my stay here was great, I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AngelaThompson
Hereford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Went for sunday lunch and we were the only people in the whole place!!! Mains were average, deserts were good. The place is tired and even has a carpet in the public toilets. Pictures of naked women in the men's toilet confirmed this place is rather odd. It's also expensive and be warned the staff will stand over you whilst you eat!!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank R S
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Advertised and booked as dog friendly hence why it was booked. Dogs not allowed in public areas despite this being a 'country pub' type of establishment. I was corrected on this by the owner who said it was a restaurant with accommodation. On the accommodation side of things the room we booked at £150 per night was like stepping back into the 70's with veneer furniture, carpeted bathroom and integrated wall mounted kettle/caftiere station that had seen far better days or was least meant to be white rather than yellow at some stage in its life. On the plus side the bed was super king.

There was a strange atmosphere throughout our experience with guests squashed into what seemed like a tiny holding area/bar with oddly placed and unmatching chairs and sofas. Amidst the awkward silence orders for dinner were taken by the owner in the bar area. It was interesting listening to what everyone selected!

The bar staff seemed underwhelmed by working and eyes rolled as the manager seemed to constantly correct their every move even taking one aside. Say no more but I don't think we were meant to hear that conversation as guests.

The food itself was very tasty indeed and saved the whole experience however when we asked for a heavy red wine to accompany the delicious beef dish a pinot noir was one of the wines offered. An odd suggestion given the level of foodieness the menu portrayed.

Breakfast was served in a small room with a selection of continental items and a choice of hot items from a menu. An awkward silence prevailed again in this room and an unfriendly atmosphere as doors that didn't need to be shut were.

No newspapers, no crispy bacon, no hp sauce and no Heinz baked beans. Big mistakes even without the rest of our experience. We couldn't wait to leave and were £300 worse off after one night dinner, bed and breakfast. Go figure.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 804KateH
Little Paxton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed just one night when it was very cold. The room was very comfortable and warm. The dinner was excellent all food cooked very well and excellently presented. Service very good and good value for money. Breakfast good choice and again well cooked served.

Room Tip: We only saw the room we stayed in but only four rooms and we were told each one is different all ove...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

I found Cornfields by browsing the Internet for a venue for my Mother in Laws 90th birthday lunch for all the family. We booked some months in advance and found Graham to be helpful from the start. The menu choices for our lunch were varied and interesting. We were a group ranging from 2 to 90 years of age and everyone found something to please them on the menu. It was all beautifully cooked. The staff were friendly and helpful and even managed to entertain the 2 yr olds! We came from as far as France, Anglesey, Yorkshire, Hampshire and no one was disappointed. The birthday girl herself loved it. I can highly recommend Cornfields for a family event. It is in a very dual location which we all liked too.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

We booked DB&B at Cornfields - a Saturday overnight in August.
Checking in was a warm and friendly experience. I am perplexed by other reviews with negative conclusions on customer service. We had a 5-star welcome.
Our bedroom in the adjacent converted building was spacious, well equipped & had a super view across the fields to the rear of the property.
Dinner was fabulous and the service in the restaurant was excellent.
We used the Lounge Bar for pre-dinner and after dinner drinks. Low ceilings, an abundance of very old beams, comfortable sofas - the quintessential Old England hostelry - fantastic.
Breakfast the following morning was as good as everything else the day before.
We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Millhouse Hotel & Riverside Restaurant
The Barns Hotel
The Barns Hotel
#2 of 17 in Bedford
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel

Been to Cornfields Restaurant & Hotel? Share your experiences!