All reviewsoverlooking the riverthe pubno liftfirst floorlovely hoteltop floorcomfortable bedvery pleasant staycar parkone night stayyogurtousenoisebathstartersswan
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Had a 10oz French steak. Asked for a medium and was cooked to perfection. Lovely meal and nice staff. Was seated very quickly and food came swiftly and hot. Nice place for couples or doubles. Starters were sausage and bread with dips, was a treat. Would recommend for nice relaxing meal or a special treat.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
jonathantaylorhotel, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you very much for your glowing review,
You must have visited on a Wednesday for our steak night of the French Cut Rump? It is a personal favourite of mine too. I’m really glad you enjoyed it.
I look forward to seeing you next time you visit.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We are regular customers of Embankment and dine there on a frequent basis.
We wanted to enquire about several family and friends staying there in the summer when we have a party locally. I went into the Embankment and was asked to call 'Wendy' on a mobile number who is the reservation manager. I had no problem in doing that but when I phoned I have to say the service and attitude was very abrupt almost rude; I got told they have a block booking of the hotel for two months but it was in such an off hand manner and that 'I couldn't have a discount anyway!'.
I accept that the hotel may be fully booked but I was surprised at the whole attitude and I will now be taking our booking of up to about 7 or 8 rooms elsewhere!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
jonathantaylorhotel, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent telephone conversation with Wendy. After investigating your comments I have been informed that when you called you asked Wendy for 3-4 rooms (not the 7-8 rooms you have spoken of) and that Jason (who you originally spoke to) said you could have a discount for being a local. Wendy explained to you we were fully booked and that as a rule we actually only reduce room rates if 10 or more rooms are booked. You then told her that “you don’t even have 10 rooms” to which Wendy then informed you of the fact we actually have 20.
We would have offered you a discount on your 7-8 rooms however, but we couldn’t as we were full.

I am sorry you felt Wendy was abrupt with you on the phone, however she was just trying to explain to you why we couldn’t accommodate you.

If you would like to book a room in future please email jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com so I can oversee your booking personally.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is the third time we have had a one night booking at this hotel, on this occasion we requested a room to the rear of the property, which we were allocated. The room was overlooking the car park and turned out to be quite quiet. We had room 206 which was small, but more than adequate for one night - clean, a very large comfortable bed and the temperature was pleasant and easy to control. The shower room was clean, though the shower was a tad small, but again fine for a one night stay.
The bar area has a lovely atmosphere, with a good selection of drinks and on this occasion the staff were really friendly, they never stopped clearing tables, re-stocking the tables with clean cutlery and rearranging the chairs for the next guests.
We had a lovely cooked breakfast the following day, although there is a good choice of other options if you don't feel like a "Full English", there is fruit, cereals, yogurts, pastries and toast. The little touch of warm mugs for your tea/coffee is a nice touch and the staff in the morning were just as hospitable and busy as they had been in the bar the night before.
The hotel is in the perfect location for both strolling, the shopping area and just relaxing with a drink outside.
All in all a very pleasant stay and will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for great review and thank you for continuing to return to us to enjoy our hospitality.
We pride ourselves in having a really comfortable and friendly atmosphere as has been highlighted in your comments. Please be sure to say hello when you next stay with us.
Best wishes

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Excellent overnight stay with good food in the evening and great breakfast too. Attentive service was excellent and the room was very nicely decorated and well equipped (though a small TV….). Good value all round.

Room Tip: Room 102 excellent but does have some road noise and the outdoor smokers area is below outside the front of the building (chatter was noticeable but not disturbing). Great view of the river.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us especially your comments on our great service.
We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I was really looking forward to our stay here after reading great reviews but felt it did not live up to the expectations. The building is amazing with a great bar and interior and a lovely outdoor area facing the river. It was very busy when we arrived with a lively atmosphere, however we were left hanging around for quite some time to check in. The room was nice and spacious, only had a shower not a bath like we had expected as we had paid for a top priced room. But wasn't overly clean with rubbish on the bedside table and a used plaster in a wooden vase type feature in the bedroom!! We had a good meal however sitting in the bar area afterwards became unbearable from the awful smell coming from the gents. You couldn't get away from the smell which was there for the whole of our stay and particularly worse in the evening. In the morning I was woken rather early from the noise of staff putting out the table and chairs outside the front of the building. Not great when having a break away from the kids and you are looking forward to a lie in! Breakfast I would say was average the service was slow and seemed to lack attention to detail, not asked how we would like our eggs cooked. No spoons provided to stir our drinks etc. this hotel has a lot of great features but really lacks attention to detail on its service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review Rachel,
I am sorry your stay did not live up to expectations. I am surprised by your comments on the cleanliness of your room and breakfast service. Please could you inform me of when you stayed and what room you were in so I can look into this matter.
Jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com