“Used to be ok”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Bedford
“Used to be ok”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Once upon a time in vogue
Now not so good, service just slips each time i go there. Maybe its my bad luck? But this is about my experience - each time i visit i feel i have to wait too long at the bar, and unnecessarily because the staff fail to acknowledge you unless i get rude myself.

• Stayed May 2014
SwanGM, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks for your review.
I have very few reviews like this and yours is very vague on actual details.
If you could email me more details of your experiences it may help so I know where we have got it wrong for you. It seems you are merely commenting as you have had to wait at the bar. we are very popular and so on busy nights it is impossible to serve everyone immediately.

You of course will be acknowledged more quickly if you are rude to the team.

Jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The superb location and setting belies the disappointment one encounters on actually staying in this hotel.

I arrived at the hotel at around 10.40pm having been delayed by trains. The reception I received was the antithesis of a welcome - in fact, bordering on rudeness. I was made to feel like an inconvenience; from staff anxious to finish their shift ASAP. The room was tired and the bathroom dirty (small piles of previous residents' hairs). No mirror above the basin making it somewhat hit and miss whilst trying to shave!
Breakfast was really poor. Limited choice cereals, etc. Poached eggs OK but toast provided was like digesting cardboard. Day staff were more receptive then those in the evening - but that's relative.
All in all, very disappointing. The Swan Hotel just up the road is definitely superior.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the pub.

I am frequently praised for having excellent and friendly staff so I am saddened and very surprised to read you had virtually no welcome when you arrived. My email address is below, I would appreciate if you could let me know who checked you in and these are not the standards of service I train to my team.

I am sorry you were unhappy with breakfast. We will always replace or change any meal at the time if informed. Likewise we will always offer and room change if possible too.

jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com
Essex
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As the title of this review suggests, if you are offered room 108, do yourself a favour and find a different hotel.
The only good thing about the room is that it is the first one you come to at the top of the stairs (no lift available), but it is all downhill from there. First thing that you notice upon entry, is how small the room is, in fact there is literally just enough space to walk around the (very small) bed. What also became immediately apparent was a rather loud droning notice (similar to a saw mill), which on further investigation, turned out to be the biggest extractor fan system you have ever seen positioned directly outside the bedroom window – this noise kept going until 01:00 am, and returned again at 07:00 am, so no chance of a good nights sleep.
I did ask to change rooms, but unfortunately the staff were either unwilling or unable to help, either way, not what you would expect from a hotel that claims to have won awards, and all for the bargain price of £90.00?

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulnet12
Hi Paul

I am sorry you did not have a pleasant stay with us. The extractor fans should not have been running after 11pm so for this I apologise. We are currently in the process of installing secondary glazing to the windows in 108 to help with the sound.
You mentioned about the staff not wanting help? It may have been the case that we were unfortunately unable to move you on this occasion due to all other rooms being checked in. My team will always try to help as best they can and move guests who are unhappy with their room if possible.

I do hope you stay with us again. please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your booking.

Jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com
Summerfield, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Not sure how to review this hotel...
The staff were helpful and I experienced no problems...

BUT

The building is very 'tired' and is in urgent need of modernization.
We booked their 'premier room overlooking the river' (room 101)

There is no A/C - so you have to sleep with the window open...
Unfortunately only one of the 4 windows would open
Also - its more a pub than hotel - so the noise from drinkers was excessive.

Car parking is difficult... with room behind the hotel for about 6 cars
but - as stated above - its a pub - so finding a parking space is difficult.

The TV was smaller than my computer screen - no, really! it was like 15 inch.
The was no remote control - so walked down to reception (more in a sec) and asked for remote
A remote was taken from another guest room - but that failed to work!

I dont recall the last time I stayed in a hotel room without a telephone in it...
There were TWO telephone points in the wall - but NO telephone.
So communication with the hotel is via the stairs (no elevator)!

Furniture was tired and looked very dowdy also windows very dirty

The 'overlooking the river'...
The hotel is on the opposite side of the road to the river - and the river is shielded by trees..
Could we see the river? Yup...
Were we overlooking the river? Nope.

With the above said - The staff (once we found any) were helpful
We experienced no difficulties and the breakfast - whilst very small - was well cooked.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the back to avoid the noise from the drinkers in the bar
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your review,

As you mentioned we are not a hotel but a pub with rooms.
Unfortunately during youe stay with us the 42” tv went in for repairs and so a temporary one had to be put in instead.
We are currently re-decorating all of our bedrooms to brighten them up, however I have recently conducted a furniture inspection and the sofa in your room is still in excellent condition so I am slightly confused by your dowdy comment.

I have not had anyone complain to me before about the view not over looking the river. You will see from other reviews who have complimented the view from the front Riverview rooms.
If you do stay with us again I will ensure you have a quieter room on the second floor.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had dinner on Saturday night and really enjoyed it. From sitting outside with a drink beforehand to the great food, service and fun ambience it was just a great night out. I love the way they do the basics really well like getting you a drink quickly when you sit down, explaining the food options, getting you something to nibble and keep chatting to you without becoming annoying. There was an enormous party in the back room which slightly delayed our mains but they kept us informed and we didn't mind at all. Overall a good intermediate option between the everyday meal and fine dinning with interesting menu options and a vibrant atmosphere.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KCandJC
Many thanks for your review,

I am glad you enjoyed your Saturday evening with us and took in our wonderful atmosphere. We are always striving to improve but it is always great to know when we have got it right.

I look forward to seeing you in the pub soon.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great location by the river but a bit pricey for what it really is. Bar prices are more what you would expect in London. Parking a bit limited. We have stayed here several times and like the informal atmosphere. Rooms are good value, but everything else a bit expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the best views by far!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff W
SwanGM, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hi Geoff

Many thanks for taking the time to review us.

I am glad you have chosen us on a few occasions to stay and thank you for mention our great value rooms.

We do try to keep our prices as low as possible; however we do only serve great quality products. Whether this be our wine from independent wineries and local beers (which we have to buy through Charles wells brewery) to the best dry-aged beef and Free-range chickens from our butcher Aubrey Allen. I firmly believe you will not get better quality anywhere in Bedford.

Please say hello when you next visit as I would love to buy you a pint of the good stuff.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We have stayed here on numerous occasions now and once again we were not disappointed. We normally stay on the top floor in a standard room- clean and all amenities that you could need for a comfortable stay, however this time we picked a room with a river view. WOW we are so glad we did, the room was large and has the added benefit of a bath and lovely views of the river. We were lucky to be staying during the heatwave so we could open the large doors, you could hear the voices of people enjoying their evening drinks on the patio, which was really nice as there is such a lovely buzz to this place. We had wonderful service throughout our stay both with our room and in the restaurant. Every meal we have had here has been amazing. We had a pork sharing platter on our first night, it was burger night on our second, and it was topped off by gorgeous beef brisket lunch before going home.
We were having our car worked on near by and there was no issue keeping the room a little longer and then storing our bags while we waited for the work to be completed. Nothing is too much trouble.
I can only commend the staff on the well oiled operation they have. Everyone is professional, helpful and very friendly and always make our stay a great one....hence why we keep coming back!

Room Tip: Room 102 is lovely with River Views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frecklesejd
Thank you for such a wonderful review. We are really pleased you choose to stay with us while in Bedford and are glad you love the pub as much as we do.

Please be sure to say hello next time you visit us, it would be great to have a chat.

Best wishes