Embankment Hotel
US$108
US$93
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Bedford(Bedford)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$59
Travelodge
US$101
PremierInn.com
Millhouse Hotel & Riverside Restaurant(Sharnbrook)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$88
PremierInn.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsoverlooking the riverthe pubno liftlovely hoteltop floortown centrefirst floorcomfortable bedvery pleasant staystayed one nightouserowersbathstartersswan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Situated right on the embankment with a lovely terrace directly outside, the surroundings are stunning. The service was helpful and friendly and the room was very comfortable, just what I needed. I loved the ambience of the bar, where I sat and did some exam marking, much to the amusement of other customers. Surprisingly for a busy pub, it was a very quiet night and I slept well. Didn't have breakfast as I needed to get out early and do the local parkrun but later, the bacon butty, coffee and orange juice was just what the doctor ordered. Niggles? Yes, no TV remote which made the TV a pain to operate. Wifi was good though. Would I stay again? Yes, most certainly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor at the back.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
SwanGM, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Many thanks for your review

We are pleased to hear you had a good nights sleep with us. The remote controller issue has now been resolved.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 3 July 2014

A return visit, and have to say they yet again met all of our expectations. Room beautiful overlooking the river, food both dinner and breakfast amazing. Staff friendly. Such a wonderful inn with olde world charm.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the river, views are amazing.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review Jen

I am glad we met your expectations once more. Please be sure to say hello next time you visit us as I look forward to welcoming you.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

i have stayed at the embankment for the last three years once a year with work, unfortunately i have no choice about where i stay and it is close to the hospital which i teach at.

this year i was pleasantly surprised t be checked into a large spacious clean and tidy room on my first night and even had a bath!

following a 12 hour day of teaching i arrived at the hotel to find the bar closed - was looking forward to a quiet night with no noise from drinkers to be told by one of the staff that she had some bad news, i needed to be moved from my room as the manager had promised it to someone else!

Moreover they had moved my things for me, i found this unacceptable but it had already been done. On checking my new room it was tiny, no bath just a very small shower cubicle and the staff had left some of my clothes in the old room

after a long day i had to find someone to get me these things from my old room, check in and unpack again into the less than desirable new room.

I thought that when a hotel messed up a booking you were supposed to be upgraded not downgraded?

with little apology from the staff and simply the offer to give me a discount at check out - irrelevant to me a paid for by work - i settled in for a hot and long night in the new room

the staff overall are helpful at this hotel but i think the management need to get their act together and i am deeply unhappy about being moved and having my things moved for me. If i had a choice i would never stay here again but then i guess we will need to see what next year brings

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for your review Nathan

Can you please let me know when you stayed with us so I can get to the bottom of what happened with your room.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

SUMMARY
This is a perfectly adequate provincial pub-cum-hotel. A little dear, perhaps but fine all round. We stayed for just one night, as we had a meeting the following day. It’s obviously popular, as the place was heaving on a Friday night and there were few rooms left when I booked.

SITUATION
The town of Bedford is the county town of Bedfordshire (no, really, it is). It’s on the river Ouse (one of several with that name in England) and lies about half an hour by train from London. The Embankment is near the town centre and overlooks the Ouse (the clue is in the name). The road that runs past it can be a bit busy though quietens down at night.

ARCHITECTURE
This is pure 1920s mock Tudorbethan. It’s no worse for that (just clock the Park Inn! Horrid!) Inside, it’s not just a box, with interesting landings and corridors.

SERVICE AND FACILITIES
I’m not sure how many RAC stars it has but it’s got all of the facilities you’d expect of a solid provincial pub/hotel. There’s a restaurant, of course, a large bar (with live entertainment on our night there), an ironing room. There isn’t a lift, though that wasn’t a problem for us.

On service, it’s worth mentioning the staff. They are well chosen and well trained. Check in was seamless. The staff behind the bar (on a heaving Friday might) coped admirably, for example with our food order. A newbie staff member didn’t know how to do food on the till but, rightly, immediately sought help, rather than panicking or wilting feebly.

On checking out, it turned out that they’d forgotten to put our meals on the bill. Tempting though it may have been to pay and run, I pointed that out and it was swiftly corrected. It’s inexcusable for it to have happened (I even showed the man our key fob to get the room number right) but the young woman dealt with it quickly efficiently, so not delaying our departure.

ROOM DECOR &c
The room wasn’t vast but was adequate. It had a small wardrobe, Freeview, tea ‘n’ coffee facilities (and good biscuits). There was no ‘phone, which is a bit off, should an emergency arise but that’s not too big a deal. In the bathroom, there was a window but no extractor. Mrs L made the express point that the bed was comfortable. It was a double, though, not a king. There again, a king would have taken up more space in the compact room. The view (the car park of the flats to the side of the building) was not very inspiring but I suppose is the quid pro quo of not having that road, which is what you get if you go for the river view.

FOOD + DRINK
This is a Charles Wells tied house, so sells his excellent (and Young’s sell-out) ales. I only had Bombardier, which is ubiquitous but was well kept and presented. They had three other cask ales and the usual undrinkable industrial fizz.

We had a bar meal. Friday night is Fish Night at the Embankment. We had excellent salmon/pollack fishcakes and lemon sole respectively. The sole was simply presented with boiled potatoes and asparagus, together with possibly the best hollandaise I’ve ever tasted. It was perfectly balanced and full of air. Top marks there, I’d say.

VFM
Maybe I’m out of touch but ninety notes for a night in the provinces does seem rather dear. Eyebrow-raisingly high prices seem to be a theme with brewery tied pub/hotels. Still, at least we didn’t have to pony up on arrival.

VERDICT
We liked the Embankment, its accommodation offering, its ales, catering and service. It scores well in all departments. I’d happily stay there again but I remain to be convinced that one gets value for money there.

Room Tip: River view with that road or car park view with no road. You choose.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your thorough and kind review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do keep our prices as low as possible, however we do buy in the best produce (food wise) that we can. Therefore being more expensive than other gastro pubs that serve lower quality food. Being a tied pub as you mentioned means we buy our beer at higher prices and so have to pass some of that on.

I do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights and were very disappointed with the experience. The 1st night we stayed in room 111 which was far too small.It was impossible to walk around the room without bumping in to furniture. Apart from the size of the room, it was grubby, dark and poky. There were cobwebs and unpleasant stains all over the ceiling, stains on the bedspread, dust all over the paintwork and the toilet was dirty. We were not able to change rooms until he following day when the only friendly and pleasant member of staff offered a different room- 107. This room was a little bit bigger although still grubby and shabby. There was black mould on the window in the bathroom , some revolting blood like stain on the door of the bathroom and stains all around the walls. The shower plug hole doesn't drain and I didn't dare investigate further as it must be blocked up. I agree with other reviewers that electrical sockets are too scant and difficult to access. I had to ask for a chair and a lamp so I could work properly at the desk.

One good thing is the quality of the towels although for the price I paid for 4 nights, I could have bought several bales. I have stayed in motels for a 5th of the cost which have had friendlier staff, cleaner rooms and more space. A very poor show and a miserable experience. Oh and as for safety- it seems the staff think it's fine to prop a fire door open with a fire extinguisher!! Picture available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sheila H

Hi Sheila

Many thanks for your review. We are currently in the process of decorating all of our rooms. If you could let me know when you stayed so I can investigate this further that would be great.