“The best in Bedford by a MILE!”
Review of St Helena

St Helena
Ranked #1 of 435 Restaurants in Bedford
Price range: US$60 - US$60
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ideal For romantic dinner,Special Occasions,Bussiness lunches or just a Night out. £45 is for a 5 course fine dining dinner menu
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic restaurant with quality food and ingredients, friendly knowledgeable staff who dong rush you along. We were last in one Friday past midnight and they didn't bat an eyelid.
You can always tell a good restaurant from the minute you walk in and this is no different where you are met at the door and can be seated straight away although we prefer to enjoy the beautiful garden with drinks first.
First class experience and great value for money.
Enjoy!

1  Thank Simon B

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Many years I've been eating here and I've never been disappointed, a beautiful building and garden with friendly service. The food is to die for with so much flavour that you will never be disappointed.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great food and such a well thought out menu! My wife is allergic to garlic (and does not like chilli) and it was not an issue, the clever chef simply adapted his dishes and we all had a splendid meal. Apart from the food, which as I have said was wonderful, mention has to be made of the service style, it is attentive yet not intrusive and they strike the perfect balance in engaging with their clients. We left feeling like well fed friends (except we did pay for the meal - but hey they even made that part a pleasure!)
Having discovered this hidden gem in Bedfordshire and living within a reasonable taxi ride, we will be back, again and again!
Thanks to all at the St Helena

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our daughter and son-in-law had enthused over this restaurant for some time, so we were very much looking forward to our visit yesterday evening. We had very high expectations of St Helena and thought that it could not possibly live up to what we were anticipating. How wrong were we! From the moment we stepped through the gate into the lovely gardens we knew that it was a very special place. The inside was just as impressive and we were greeted warmly and made to feel valued. The service was attentive without being overpowering and the food was delicious. There was such attention to detail and so much effort had been made by the staff to ensure that everything was perfect for us. It was an excellent example of fine dining without being "stuffy". We had a wonderful evening and will certainly return. Thank you Frank and Raff for a very special evening!

1  Thank Minemeur
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I always liked to eat at restaurants that were in the good food guide as it was always a true guide to finding 'good food'. Never used the michelin guide as I was searching for 'good food' not stars.
So despite hearing good things about St Helena from many people in Bedford I never went as it wasn't in the guide.
Well to be frank that is a missed opportunity for anyone who reads those guides.
I came here for my wedding anniversary on a warm saturday night. On arriving it reminded me of Le Manoir. I know it is not as grand but maybe this is Le petit Manoir a Bedford ! excuse my french. I think Raff et al are Italian but La Picola Casa doesn't have the same feel.
Had originally booked an early table but changed to later which was a pity as the gardens which befall you when you arrive were quite beautiful and it would have been nice to enjoy them.
The food:
A chef's appetiser of pea and elderflower was very good as it refreshed the taste buds followed by some excellent little home made breads.
I had a starter of scallops with a curry emulsion. The scallops were cooked perfectly, melting in the middle but with a lovely caramelised crust. She had a smoked salmon scotch egg with beetroot texture which was very good.
My main was turbot with courgettes and a vanilla sauce, forgetting the later made for an interesting meal as it took a while to work out the flavour, however the mix of all the ingredients together was superb. She had a beautifully cooked piece of beef fillet with some excellent triple cooked chips on the side.
The desserts were sublime. A refreshing, cooling zingy gooseberry ensemble for her while I had a chocolate delice with coffee ice cream and toasted hazlenuts that was just brilliant.
Followed by good coffee and petit fours. Had a superb prosecco with the meal.

All in all an excellent place. Pricey but worth it: just a shame they don't do a cheaper lunch menu.
My only small negatives would be that the service could be a bit more polished, though Raff is an effortlessly charming host. I prefer to have one person looking after you. At one point four people wanted to top up our wine in as few minutes. And give the conservatory roof a little polish.
Almost forgot and to top it all a very cute Maltese dog almost came home with us.

3  Thank Matthew M