“Good, not great but I will go back”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of St Helena

St Helena
Ranked #1 of 411 Restaurants in Bedford
Price range: US$58 - US$58
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ideal For romantic dinner,Special Occasions,Bussiness lunches or just a Night out. £45 is for a 5 course fine dining dinner menu
“Good, not great but I will go back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My first visit did not quite deliver my expectations of something a bit special or those of our friends who have been several times before. The setting and ambiance are lovely and the owner is very charming but we were somewhat disappointed with the menu which has changed with a new chef. The service was efficient and courteous and the food was tasty, well cooked and presented with care - and there was very little left on our plates! I liked the fixed price menu and there was a good choice of reasonably priced wines which meant the evenings was not outrageously expensive. Definitely worth another visit.

London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Our second visit to St.Helena. The food is consistently brilliant. We all thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful of our food. The chef is brilliant. Can't wait to go back!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank ClareBels
Luton, United Kingdom
“Just outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was taken out for a memorable birthday date (!) to this up market fine dining restaurant for the first time. Wow I was in no way disappointed. The food was fantastic and the service and ambience outstanding. There is a lovely garden for pre dinner drinks which made a nice entree. Thank you and I look forward to the next visit. If is nice to be made to feel so welcome.

3 Thank steve36jones
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Ummm.....is there a new chef?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

To be fair, I have been to this restaurant a few times and enjoyed it thoroughly. However, this last time left me quite disappointed. I ordered the Pigs Head (don't worry its not a whole head! ha ha), which, I suppose, I expected it to be tidy little slices of meat with the black pudding and apple sauce. Sadly, it was just a large dollop of mushed meat in the centre of the plate and certainly didn't appeal to the eye or have much flavour about it, albeit I did eat it and although probably not the best choice of dish, I did want to try something different. Then my main came, which was the Cod, again, flavourless and very disappointing. Once it came to pudding I just gave up and went for the cheese. Now the wine we had was a substantial Malbec which was absolutely divine, so no complaints there. When the bill came, the waitress did ask if we had enjoyed the meal and I was honest and expressed that it certainly, for me, wasn't the best meal I had had at St Helenas. She took my comment on board and was extremely professional in her response. Now, I would go again but at the moment I have sadly been slightly put off and hence my title - Is there a new chef?? because meals here previously have been mouth watering and leaving me wanting to return as quickly as possible. But if reading this review, don't be over put off, because previous experiences here have been exceptional.

11 Thank Dilly67
luton
“Outstanding from arriving to leaving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I had no intention of writing another review of St Helena's Restaurant but having dined there again on Saturday (2nd) I had to share the experience. The Front of House staff have a professionalism and confidence about them that relaxes you as a Diner. They are there if you need anything but you don't notice them the rest of the time. The food is exceptional: presentation is stunning, right down to the matching of the plates with the dish. The Taste, Textures and combinations were outstanding. It is a Kitchen at the top of its game, but, I suspect with more to come. Finally to Raff and Frank who basically walk the restaurant with wit and wisdom imparting their knowledge, as hosts they are unique