We had some reservations before we left for our Sunday to Friday break because we'd read a couple of reviews indicating that many rooms haven't been touched. The room we were allocated (208) had more or less been done up and would have taken no time at all to finish. In fact, we had such a good deal for dinner, bed and breakfast that we would have happily finished the job off ourselves! A couple of walls needed a coat of paint and some "stuff" is missing - no waste bin or hairdryer. These are really minor niggles and I feel ashamed at criticising the place at all because of the bargain price.
The staff were without exception friendly and helpful and the food was fine. We greatly appreciated the free wifi in the public areas - handy for researching where to go and what to do.
The hotel is in a handy central location and there is certainly no shortage of stuff to do in the area, particularly given how lucky we were with the weather. The Deeside Way (old railway line) between Ballater and Aboyne is great for cycling or walking - with a stop for coffee in Dinnet. Loads of other good walks too. We also did quite a few castles (Corgarff, Crathes, Kildrummy, Drum) so no shortage of stuff to do.
In summary, then, there are a load of things still to be completed in the hotel and hopefully they will get there soon. That said, I have paid four times the price of this hotel for half the quality, so I for one certainly won't be complaining.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Deeside Inn is an authentic Highland inn situated in the picturesque village of Ballater in the heart of Royal Deeside - a few miles away from Balmoral Castle, the Queen's summer home. Only an hour's drive from Aberdeen, this part of the Cairngorms is world famous for its stunning scenery and offers some of the best walking, climbing, mountain biking, river fishing and wildlife watching in Scotland. We can arrange a huge range of outdoor activities on behalf of our guests. The inn itself is welcoming and cosy with open log fires, wooden floors, tartan carpets, comfy tweed furnishings and well appointed comfortable bedrooms. In our Ceilidh bar we offer over 40 Scottish single malts and hearty Highland dishes, and also host fantastic traditional music sessions every other Wednesday. In our brasserie style restaurant we offer an a la carte and grill menu, which feature game, salmon and Highland beef. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, LateRooms, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Deeside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Deeside Hotel Ballater
- Deeside Inn Ballater, Scotland