“Poor”
Review of Deeside Inn

Deeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ballater
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very disappointing, especially in bar and restaurant: slow service, and food of indifferent quality. The hotel has potential but the staff need better training and the chain needs to exert more quality control.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

It is always disappointing to receive a poor review but I feel that yours was certainly justified and I am sorry that your stay was not enjoyable. At the time we did have an issue with the kitchen which slowed the service down - but I am relieved to say that we have a new head chef starting tomorrow, of whom we have high hopes, and I expect the issue of slow service to be a thing of the past. Your point regarding training is well taken and you will be pleased to hear that we have spent a not inconsiderable amount of time working on polishing up our service as recently as the last 10 days. Thank you for your comments - if you decide to visit us again I feel confident that you will find us much improved. Best wishes, Joanna Whysall

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We paid £124 for a double room which was at best shabby, the bathroom looked as if it had been salvaged from a sixties tower block and the bath had a great chunk of enamel missing.
The windows were all screwed shut so we had an uncomfortable warm night, to add to this we were woken at 4.55 am by somebody playing a piano (there was a piano in the reception area so can only assume the night porter was bored). When I mentioned this to reception on checking out she just shrugged her shoulders, we will never set foot in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

It is always disappointing when a guest does not enjoy their stay with us and I am only sorry that we were not able to make you more comfortable at the time. I am glad to say that the window you speak of is being replaced so that issue will be addressed. It is very inconsiderate of someone to play the piano at such a time and I will remind our night porter of that. With best wishes, Joanna

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Deeside Inn for 3 nights in mid May and had a lovely time. The hotel is very welcoming with open fires and the staff could not be more helpful and friendly. The hotel is perfectly situated within Ballater and lies at its centre. The Jetsonics from London were playing a gig in the bar on the Saturday night which only enhanced our stay - they were brilliant.
We have no hesitation in recommending the Deeside Inn as a great place to stay and we hope to be returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted that you enjoyed The Jetsonics. We are trying to develop our bar into a first class music venue and we are very grateful that such a fantastic band as The Jetsonics are prepared to come up all the way from London. They are playing again on 17th November so please let us know if you would like to come along for that. Best wishes and thank you for taking the time to review us, Joanna

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay with my husband, we were visiting family who live in Ballater. For the price we paid (£248 for b&b ) it was a totally disappointing, the room we had 23 on the second floor was shabby and in bad need of upgrading, the reception and bar areas were dull and dreary. And the bar prices were nothing short of extortion £9.60 for a glass of vine & a pint of cider, when we mentioned it on checking out, we were told this was in line with other hotels in the area, well that's not true, we had a drink in the Alexander Hotel 100 mtrs away and the same drinks were £3.00 cheaper, and this hotel for far nicer. Would We ever return to the Deeside Inn? absolutely NOT

Room Tip: Don't accept a room facing the back as you hear deliveries being brought in before 7am
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank needaholday

I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I do think though that our prices are very good for a hotel and our beer and spirit prices are in line with the local bars - we did this on purpose so that we don't alienate the local villagers. It is always disappointing when guests don't enjoy themselves and am sorry that we did not do more to make you more comfortable. Best wishes Joanna

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at the Deeside Inn on 19th and 2oth May 2014. On arrival there was a problem with the booking as had on;y been booked in for one night instead of two. Receptionist was very friendly and was able to correct this very promptly.

Room was a single and although small was more than adequate for my needs. Clean and comfortable. There was however only two plugs in the room, one of which was used for the TV and the other for the kettle. Had to keep changing plugs to use my laptop/charge phone.

Came back to the hotel on the evening of the 20th to find the room had not been made up. Spoke to reception who apologised and wanted to send housekeeping up there and then. Declined the offer but was given tea/milk/biscuits to refresh the tray.

Breakfast was good both days. Good selection available and I had full breakfast which was well cooked and tasty. Would have liked a larger portion though. Service was quite slow as dining room was busy and only seemed to be one experienced waiter and one trainee serving.

Having said all of the above enjoyed my stay. Staff were very friendly and for the cost well worth the money. Would go back again without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello there, I have read your review with interest and disappointment. I drill it into my team to make me aware of any complaints or issues (however small) but I have to say on this occasion your issues were not fed back to me. It us unacceptable that your room was not serviced - this is done daily and I will find out why this was overlooked. I am glad though that despite that you enjoyed your stay with us and I promise that these things are not normal practice and it will be dealt with. Thank you for your comments. Best wishes Joanna

Reviewed 26 May 2014

A large group of us on a walking weekend stayed here last year and enjoyed it so much we decided to stay here again this year. The staff are all very friendly and helpful and the food is really very good. A very good chance we will stay there again in the future as we all like the hotel and love Ballater and the Royal Deeside area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to put a review on TripAdvisor. I hope you will all come back and stay with us again sometime. Best wishes joanna

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Booked a two night break with "easy breaks" which included admission
To Balmoral estate. Extremely good value. The staff were so helpful and welcoming, the food was good and wholesome, well cooked and presented with a smile! The bedroom was basic but clean and functional. Open fires add to the homely atmosphere.Other posts mention "slow dining service"-----what do you expect when each dish is cooked to order from an extensive menu? This is not Macdonalds! Great stay, deserve to prosper.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

What a lovely review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and am appreciative of your taking the time to review it. I hope you will come and see us again sometime. Best wishes, Joanna Whysall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballater
Loch Kinord Hotel
#1 of 3 in Braemar
Tor-na-Coille
Tor-na-Coille
#2 of 3 in Banchory

Been to Deeside Inn? Share your experiences!