“A most enjoyable break.”
Review of Deeside Inn

Deeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ballater
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our room was clean,bright ,spacious and comfortable with a decent sized en suite. The staff were very efficient,friendly and approachable. We were reminded by the receptionist that we had two free passes to visit Balmoral Castle (thus saving us £22).
I genuinely cannot praise the food too highly. The evening dinner was of an excellent standard,and the choice of breakfast dishes was amazing. Again the waiters and waitresses were really good.
My wife and I will definitely be booking in again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I do hope that you will come back and see us again soon. Best wishes, Joanna

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was most sceptical about this hotel, but it is the nicest place ever!
The hotel is located on the river, off the main road in a park like area with horses, and rabbits and dogs - out of a picture book! Wonderful for our boy. Tennis facilities behind the house. It seems to be an old private villa with big rooms, each individually and tastefully furnished. Breakfast is rich and freshly made. Bath and bed rooms are huge. The area - to dream of.
Olivia welcomed us as if we were coming home.
We just stayed one night, but if I really wanted to chill-out, this will be the place. Simply loved it.
Note that internet is very slow, mobile phone reception is also not that good (if you want to get away, it is perfect!!) Hotel does not have an elevator, - we were on the first floor, so no problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

I would be delighted if this review was for us - but sadly with the references to the park and tennis courts it is not us. Best wishes, J Whysall

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I spent three wonderful days in Ballater and the surrounding area and thoroughly enjoyed our time at The Deeside Inn. While it describes itself as an Inn, it is really a medium sized hotel, which was a lovely surprise. The room was very clean, the en-suite was particularly good even though we only paid for a standard double room. We booked through LateRooms with no problems whatsoever and got a complimentary evening meal by looking at the special offers. The staff couldn't do enough for you, it was a great experience altogether. Lovely walks close by, I would really recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask which floor it is on. The sound proofing was great in our standard room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a lovely review, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please do come and see us again soon. Best wishes, Joanna Whysall

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

After reading many of the comments on here, you might think the Deeside was the worst hotel in the world. I stayed there for ten days this summer and have nothing bad to say about it. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast excellent and the room clean. The prices may be a bit high, I don't know. (I do not usually stay in hotels.) All in all, the Deeside Inn makes you feel welcome and is hereby recommended for anyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

I have to say that your review troubled me in some ways. We had around 17, 000 guests stay with us last year. TripAdvisor users do not see the hundreds of thank you cards, boxes of chocolates, hugs and kisses we receive from customers who have had enjoyable stays. Happy customers tend to thank us in that way as opposed to writing a review so it does skewer the overall view. It sort of breaks my heart than anyone could possibly think us one of the "worse" hotels in the world. I have stayed at many of those myself :( !! and my whole raison d etre is to care and to offer the best service possible. I am pleased you wrote your review, it was sensible and considered and I am very grateful. I am also glad you saw for yourself that we are not as we may appear from some of the reviews. I am glad you have a good trip to Scotland and that you enjoyed your stay. You had fantastic weather which was fortunate - it has now changed though!! With thanks and come and see us again sometime. Best wishes, Joanna

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed for a two night break on the DBB special deal which was good value.The staff were generally very good except for an almost 40 minute delay between courses at dinner on our last night I am not sure what the problem was.Our room on the first floor overlooking the street was fine apart from a very small toilet/shower area with a small step at the door.I found it odd that there was no phone in the room which is unusal these days but not a problem.The wifi was excellent in the hotel.An added bonus on our last night was a performance from an Australian folk group The Mae trio in the dining room they were very good.

1  Thank Davy916

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the Mae Trio - they are a very talented young women who are fast making a name for themselves on the Australian folk scene. They had also appeared as part of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - so were very privileged to have had them here to play. I was sorry to hear about your wait for dinner - this is something I will investigate today. With best wishes, Joanna Whysall

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This exactly how a highland hotel should be. A 3 star place but a 5 star experience. Friendly, helpful staff from reception onwards. The food was excellent as were the public rooms. We thought our room was fine. Clean and comfortable. Breakfast and dinner were varied with a good mix of Scottish and European dishes. We could picture ourselves despite the most glorious weather outside at Christmas time beside a roaring fire in the lounge. Ballater is a grand old place full of active folk having a great time. A night out here all but erased the embarrassment of the Commonwealth games opening ceremony.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review - we want to be regarded as an authentic Highland inn and it is always lovely when we are appreciated for being that. I am very pleased that you had a lovely stay and hope that you will come and see us again sometime. Best wishes Joanna

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Had a fair deal on DBB for this hotel so I guess not too bad value for money. A lot could be improved though. Room we had was on the second floor with no lift and no offer of help with luggage - we are both OAPs & had to carry all our luggage up ourselves. Also staying on quite hot days and room unbearably hot - no fan or AC. Rooms are dated & our curtain rail moved when we tried to shut curtains. Bathroom clean but enamelling on bath needs redoing and basically updating. Breakfast ok dinner ok but not very big portions would have thought over expensive if not on a DBB deal.

Room Tip: Ask for room on ground or 1st floor
1  Thank Patsyanne_11

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I have taken a note of your comments. You came in a unusually hot week for Scotland (I think is was nearly 30 degrees some days) and you are right that it was very warm. I was sorry to hear that you had carried your own bags. We do not have a lift and as a three star inn, we do not have a dedicated porter, however, we always make a point of offering to carry bags for all our guests and my whole team, and myself, pitch in to do it. I am sorry that this wasn't done for you and I will bring it up at the next weekly meeting. I have to say that I think our portion sizes are generous and value for money and in my experience are amble when you consider we are offering three courses. However, again we fell down as we should have noticed that you were unhappy with this and offered you are larger portion or additional potatoes and vegetables as I never like our guests to be hungry. Please do come and see us again and be assured that this things will be rectified. Best wishes, Joanna

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballater
Loch Kinord Hotel
#1 of 3 in Braemar
Tor-na-Coille
Tor-na-Coille
#2 of 3 in Banchory

Been to Deeside Inn? Share your experiences!