“Stayed once, wouldnt repeat”

Britannia Ashley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We found the Ashley Hotel in Hale pretty easily, and the over night parking was in an adjacent car park used by the co-op. I don’t know Manchester and this for all I know, Hale, may have been the ghetto. I didn’t feel comfortable leaving my car over night in a supermarket car park. Hale is not the ghetto though as demonstrated by the top of the range mercs, audis, the odd Bentley and BMW’s that were parked on the streets. Still, there isnt any on site parking.

The hotel was a typical Britannia, I suspect if they built one today it would look like it had seen better days, the Ashley was no exception, it looked like it had seen better days but it was clean and it was only a place to sleep prior to the flight early the following day.

The room itself was clean, it had a bath slash makeshift wine cooler and a telly.

We decided to hit Hale and avail ourselves of a McDonalds/Pizza Hut/Fast Food. Hale wasn’t generous in it places for the deep of pocket and short of finger and so it was back to the temptingly advertised Britannia Hotel 6.95 all you can eat buffet. So we go to the restaurant, told we have to pay at the bar, the bar guides us to reception, the reception says you can’t have it as it isn’t available after 8, we point out its 7.45, we are met with blank looks that seem to say “you are working purely on a preconstrained time pattern and here at the Britannia Ashley we take our time pattern from another universe”. With this in mind we ordered fish and chips instead. It was alright.

Back at the room, lights off and at the point we realise that the room has a supernatural eerie green glow to it. I look around to see if something from Ghostbusters is in the room, or failing that is a neon billboard just outside our window. No is the answer to both of them. It seems that a feature of The Britannia Ashley is, and this is no extra charge by the way, but a feature is that when you turn the light off, there, in all its emerald glory is a green emergency light. I am pretty certain that I am going to block this out, after all how irritating can a green glow to a room be?

It seems one of the most singularly irritating things when you know you have to be up at 3.30am is a green glow to your hotel room. Between 10pm and 3am (we cut our losses 30 minutes early) me and the Staffordian fighting midget I lovingly call Lisa got zero sleep, not a single wink of the allocated 40.

So in summary, ok location, tired, worn, both the hotel and me, no parking, wouldnt stop there again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pedro_Dee

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Located in a lovely town, this hotel was hard to find, the hotel entrance is around the side of a coffee shop and hard to find even with a GPS. The hotel is shabby, dirty, room small old and musty smelling. I was given the impression that it had a shuttle bus to the airport but it doesn't - the explanation about what was meant in their description was confusing. They did arrange for a taxi to the airport at about $17.00. Definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fahyfamily
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a hotel / airport parking and were disappointed. The photo is very mis leading as we thought it was a country hotel, but the grass is actually a municipal bowling green and the hotel is in a town centre, above a Co-op supermarket. Our room was clan and comfy but on the small side, and we had to pay for car parking in the nearby pay and display car park. Its handy for nearby restaurants and bars. Our room was very small and about 2/3 the size of a Travelodge room. The TV was a 1980's CRT with the choice of about 8 channels, and the remote didn't work, along with some of the buttons on the TV. The room had a very noisy fan which never stopped buzzing, and the light had a strange green glow which illuminated the room all night. the art work on the walls consisted of naked women which seemed a bit odd. When we arrived we found that they had changed our airport parking location. Due to the noise of the fan, we were up at 2am so sat watching TV until it was time to go. As we were only there 1 night, we didn't bother mentioning any of our complaints, but we couldn't anyway as the night porter was fast asleep in the next door bar, so we just dumped the keys and left. We drove to the Brittania Country hotel, where there was further confusion with the transport, where we were put on one minibus, then off loaded onto another, then a third turned up. Unfortunately it wasn't a good start to our holiday and we won't be returning

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neiljaffa
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Recently spent two nights there.
I will start with the positives first. Situated in a nice village,the reception area was pleasant, the staff were were friendly and helpful especially one of the young waiters, the bathroom was spotlessly clean.
The downside was the damp smell in the bedroom and the extremely mouldy window which was covered in black fungus.
The bed springs seemed to have a life of their own, not a comfortable bed
The evening menu was a throwback from the sixties - prawn cocktail, no seasoning in food, mushy vegetables etc. It tasted like school dinners and the dining area even smelt like a school canteen
Glad I only had to spend two nights there

2  Thank mistyFife
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I must confess that this hotel has changed my view of the Britannia brand, after my experience of the dreadful tip known as the Liverpool Adelphi.
We arrived after a long drive and little sleep the night before, and despite my pre-disposition to grumpiness, the young lady in reception was determined to prove herself probably the most friendly, cheerful and helpful front desk employee ever. She even phoned her mother to discover which airport terminal I needed next morning. If I ever start a hotel chain, I shall come looking for her to take ,charge of staff training.
After that, I would ha e forgiven this hotel much, but in truth, there was nothing to forgive. It was clean, quiet and functional.
My only unease was with the questionable taste of a sketch of an oddly proportioned naked woman facing the bed.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank HarryLTW
britannia701, Operations Manager at Britannia Ashley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear thewick

Thank you for your positive comments about your stay and the Britannia brand. We always aim to deliver the best customer experience and it appears on this occasion we have exceeded your expectations.
I have already passed your comments on to the receptionist who was very happy to receive them.
I will look into the paintings and if possible change them for something a little more tasteful.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Booked this hotel on the recommendation of a friend who stayed at another Britannia Hotel. Very helpful staff when I telephoned after having trouble booking on line from France (website didn't like French postcodes). Room was ready when we arrived at 2.00 pm and was clean, airy, comfortable. Both we and our Jack Russell were given an excellent welcome. Furniture style was a little dated, and we weren't keen on the nude paintings on the wall, but that's a personal opinion. Bathroom and shower were kept immaculately clean. Staff were very helpful, and looked up addresses on the computer for me to put into my SATNAV. Shame there wasn't any hotel parking, but the Co-op was right next door, and charges were extremely cheap (10p first hour - nothing 6.00 pm to 8.00 am.)

Room Tip: We had a room facing onto the road, but there was no interference from traffic. Excellent situation...

Dear GillyJ

Thank you for your recent comments, I am very happy that you found your stay here very good. I have passed on your comments to the team who are always happy to hear guests have felt the service they receive is of an excellent standard.

We hope to see you and your Jack Russell again soon

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We booked at the Brittania Ashley and gave our credit card details. After travelling for 3 hours we arrived to be told they were busy so our room has been given away and told these things happen. We were asked to go to their sister hotel, Britannia Airport. Being tired after travelling we arrived at Britannia Airport Hotel not happy and asked for some kind of compensation. They said this had to come from Britannia Ashley but they had not offered anything for us, after commenting on the review I would leave them they upgraded our room. We were happy with this and then we saw the room, if that was upgraded I dread to think of what we would have stayed in. I went into the bathroom and noticed a stain on the toilet seat, I couldnt work out if it was a permanent stain so wet some toilet roll and wiped it, it came off, it was red and more than likely blood! I was disgusted and annoyed with myself for wiping it off, then while in the bath I looked up to see a long dark curly hair on the tiles. We had a buffet tea in the restaurant that night and it was ok but have had better food. We went back to our room and watched telly, as the lights were off we just got into bed in the dark, big mistake! When I woke up the next morning and threw the sheets back I noticed blood all on the sheet down the side of the bed. After scrubbing myself in the bath and praying that the blood was not infected I completed the feedback card in the room and reported this to reception, we were told that they would report this to the Manager overseeing the cleaning and took my email to reply, as yet, 2 weeks on, no email. We paid £47 for our room, we never went with the cheapest hotel we saw but feel totally ripped off, we will never stay in any Britannia Hotels again! The other annoying thing is we deliberately booked with Britannia Ashley so we would be on the outskirts of Manchester as we had a flight to get lunch time the next day, we thought a short drive would kill time the next morning, after being moved to Britannia Airport we were minutes away and left twiddling our thumbs, we planned our break and they took our choice of stay away from us messing up our plans, they do not have the right to decide where you stay and as well as needing to clean their rooms they should not take your card details for their own pleasure! Also on inspecting the blood on the bed my partner noticed the underside of the bed had collapsed and the mattress was hanging down as well as a spring out the bottom of the bed. I dont know how environmental health have not shut this place down!

Dear JamesMandy2012

I apologise for the problems you encountered during your visit. I always try to inform guests beforehand if there is a problem with their room and we need to move them to one of our sister hotels. On this occasion we failed in doing that. Your room was not given away, there was a problem with a leak and this is the reason your room was not available. I have spoken to the receptionist who was on duty at the time and reminded them of the standards I expect from everyone.

As for the problems you encountered at the Airport hotel I have passed the information and your details to the manager for him to address everything you mentioned

Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
1 mi away
Best Western Cresta Court Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
The Airport Inn Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Travelodge Manchester Trafford Park

Been to Britannia Ashley Hotel? Share your experiences!