“G R I M ...”

Britannia Ashley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Our travel firm sent us here for the night when they messed our flights up. We were in and out within half an hour...... No more really needs to be said that has not been voiced already. On a positive note the young man on reception was very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We booked this hotel to be close to the airport as we were to catch an early morning flight. Having looked at the hotels website before we arrived we knew it would not be a 5* classical hotel but i am sure they have stolen the 2 stars they claim to posses and it is certainly not a "boutique" hotel like it claims to be!!

Upon arriving at the hotel the first thing we noticed was the shabby decor before even getting to reception along with the worn furniture! After being greeted by a pleasant man in the reception and having our rooms allocated to us we embarked on what would be an experience for sure. Upon walking the corridors it is evident to see that even Basil Fawlty would have serious worries about this hotel, the decor was horrendous, the carpets are extremely dirty and you certainly get that sinking feel about your stay!

So finally we entered the room to be presented with a curtain which was half on/half off the rail, a television which was pre 1990 and the horrendous decor carried on throughout! The chair in the room was absolutely disgusting, ripped, covered in stains and god knows what else! The cleanest part of the hotel was probably the bathroom and I was tempted to sleep on the bathroom floor as it was more appealing than the bed. It is extremely surprising that this hotel has not been shut down and i am surprised none of the regulatory authorities has taken any action against Britannia! (I have also stayed in another Britannia hotel in the centre of Manchester and it was also awful!)

The one positive that we had was that we were not in the rooms any longer than 4 hours as we had to leave for the airport at 3.30am. Also i feel the young man who was supposedly the manager must be sick to death of receiving complaints and having to provide refunds (like he did for us) for disgusted guests. I actually felt he made the best of a very awkward situation and Britannia MUST invest heavily in this hotel unless they want to risk losing custom. I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone and would urge EVERYONE to stay away! The one thing we all found hard to comprehend is how lovely the area is and that we were presented with such a poor standard of accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Me and boyfriend stay here the night before we flight out on holiday. We got room on 3rd floor. Bedroom was ok big with a double bed and a single in we sleep ok. Bathroom waz big with bath and shower in . There a co-op right next door to hotel . We had food hotel cos us £14 for both us .We got free taxi to airport witch pick us up on time so we happy over all ok for night stay over all happy with the stay

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2014

If I could score this less I would! I ended up in thus hotel as a result of flight cancellations this week, all others were booked. I arrived just after 8pm and had a bad feeling as soon as I walked in the front door. First impression was old fashioned and run down. I took the lift to the 3rd floor it was like a battered lift you would find in a deparetment store. Went into the room which was like something from the 60's. Window frames thick with black mildew really excessive, no attempt to clean it. Window frames really old and so were curtains. There was a chair in the bay window with damp lines round it. Really old furniture falling apart and old TV. Room smelled due to damp. In the bathroom the bin still had rubbish from previous occupier.

Went downstairs to ask about food, advised restaurant was on first floor and were about due to stop serving food. Went to the restaurant to find heated trays with old dried up meat, stuck to the container, dried up chips and peas. Went back to reception to ask for a menu to be told it was self service and that was what was in containers. I did say it was all dried up, was advised it is time to stop serving!! Thankfully I got a sandwich in the co-op next door.

If you read the website for Brittania hotels it in no way relates to the reality! I can't believe they actually charged for the privalage!

It's about time the management of the hotel chain carried out an inspection and either close it or depend cash refurbishing. I have pictures to prove what I am saying is true.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I booked this hotel because it's website said it was 3.1 miles from Manchester airport and I needed somewhere close for an early morning departure, and the site also stated they provided free shuttle service to the airport, but it's all lies! Cost me almost 16 pounds for a taxi from the airport, and I was then informed there was no shuttle service back in the morning which meant another expensive cab ride back. The service was terrible, the whole place is totally run down, the elevator wasn't working, the front doors aren't even locked at night. It was a total nightmare. The curtains in my room were actually lying in a pile on the floor as the curtain rod had broken and the window didn't close properly. Also no wifi available as stated on the website. All in all the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, avoid it like the plague!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Take note of the reviews will be my first tip! I booked this hotel as it advertised airport transfers not only on it's own site but all the other 'hotel' booking web sites. I e-mailed twice over 48hrs before arrival with no reply so called Britannia to book the transfers as we were coming from the airport to be told this hotel does not do transfers only on a fly/parking booking. No apology just telling me I misread the conditions! So we paid just over £10 taxi each way. This Hotel is run down more of a guest house than hotel. Check in we had to wait while the room was being hoovered, all heard over the walky talky while we just stood in the very small reception area waiting. Room ok, peeling metal window frames, old mismatched furniture, no head board and although we booked a double room we had a family room with an extra single so the double bed was pushed to the side and the wall lamp then ended up in the middle of where the headboard should be and we couldn't even sit up in bed! I booked the DBB & Wine deal not expecting fine dining but I did expect it to be edible! The food was awful, the worst I have come across. I am not that fussy and travel very regularly all over the world (ending up in some weird & wonderful places!). First the 'restaurant' is like a small works canteen with a small 'buffet'. There was no staff and other guests just said to help ourselves. Luke warm and tasteless. Eventually a staff member came up to check the food and I said I was on the Wine/Dine package and the only reply I got was to go downstairs to the bar to get the bottle of wine myself. No one asked if we were ok or if we had all we needed. We had an early start (6.30am) to the airport so missed out on breakfast (quite thankfully!) but as this hotel is used mainly for airport stops early breakfasts should be made available. On the plus side the bathroom was reasonable with a lovely shower and all bedding/towels were plentiful and clean. If you get a mega cheap deal for an airport stop then book room only and expect a basic but clean room. The best thing about this hotel is location, Hale is a lovely little town with nice restaurants/bars so have a wander and dinner out.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albertella8
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night prior to getting a flight from Manchester Airport, we booked a DBB deal for £84.00 which we thought sounded reasonable as the meal was to be a 3 course including a carvery..............firstly the hotel was not disable friendly although this is not clear on any of their website, the room was clean (ish) but dated, and the meal, well it was terrible, it was not a carvery, there was no starters left for us to eat, and they started to clear away the dried up food before we were ready to eat...............we did write to complain but have yet to hear back from them............really puts us off staying in a Britannia Hotel again.......I would pay extra and stay at another hotel nearer the airport for sure

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie and Ian D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Best Western Cresta Court Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
The Airport Inn Manchester
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Travelodge Manchester Trafford Park

Been to Britannia Ashley Hotel? Share your experiences!