“Do NOT listen to bad reviews ..”

Britannia Ashley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Loved it ...
great location , Hale is one f the cutest areas though about 15-20 min from Manchester..
Very friendly staff, always with a smile and willing to help and big, nice warm rooms...
Not a luxurious choice .. but if you are in the area for business etc , i strongly recommend it ..
very good value for money .. really enjoyed my stay there ...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Elizampeta
There are newer reviews for Britannia Ashley Hotel

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I am just about to go and cancel our booking. Our room at the Britannia Ashley is disgusting. Conditions are squalid at best- pubic hairs in bedsheets, months of dust, soap scum and probably toothpaste on the bathroom shelf, NOTHING has been dusted and there are holes in the walls.Heights of vileness that I am not willing to endure. Urgh!!!
Furniture and particularly the mattress are KNACKERED - I actually laughed at the mattress 'protector'- a) Why bother? That chicken flew the coop LONG ago...and b) Said protector is for a single bed!! Cutting the elasticated edges and trying to spread it across a double bed isn't going to work!!
Why management have bothered with the cheap, tacky 'art' on the walls i do not know- even if the prints were decent, it 's like trying to ice a turd.
I can't leave quickly enough. The hotel's one saving grace is the mannerly young man on reception.
Britannia Ashley management- shame on you for asking for payment for this joke of a service. People of the world- avoid this hotel like the plague!!
I feel itchy- time to go!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Koalabottle
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If your looking for an overnight stay in this area i would advise you give this Hotel a try. It has everything you could require. On entering your met with a welcome smile The reception is manned 24 hours a day and you are quickly checked in and directed to a convenient lift to all floors. Use of the lift is advisable as the staircase is very steep.If you have mobility problems then this hotel is not for you as there is a small staircase you need to negotiate leading to the lift. The room i had was very clean with fresh linen on each of the twin beds and an an en suit bathroom with shower over bath. There are tea making facilities in the room and a television which though dated is watchable. If as i do you enjoy an occasional drink there is a nice well stocked bar to side of reception and the drinks seem to be very reasonably priced. They don't have there own car park which is a shame, but there is a public car park which is just a short walk away, Parking is free between the hours of 8PM and 6AM.

Room Tip: closest to the lift is best as it avoids a maze of corridoors
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My friends and I stayed here not out of choice as we didn't know where we were staying - It was allocation on arrival as we were part of a trip with a well known Company. On arrival to the hotel you could smell the damp, it didn't get any better on the way up the stairs, carpet was filthy and threadbare in places, windowsill was filthy where it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. On entering our room the window was open obviously to disguise the smell of damp, the window frames were black with mould and there was a seat in the window area that had a hole in and was damp. The floor hadn't been cleaned, there were bits of food and rubbish lying around and the furniture was dated, mismatched and dusty. It just got worse from there really, pulled back the bed sheets to find blood stain on one and a big hair on the other, just pure filth really. Went to Reception to complain and the guy on the desk was obviously very apologetic and offered us another room. We went to view the new room, it was stinking of smoke and as I checked the bedding, this bed also had a blood stain on the sheet only it was bigger than what it was in the previous room - I was furious. Reception staff again very apologetic and promised me our room would be cleaned from top to bottom by the time we got back later that evening. I can say he kept to his word and did clean the room top to bottom as he promised, he even hovered aswell as changed the sheets - he even done this all himself, and left us a bottle of wine as an apology.

The restaurant was horrid, the food was awful and the chairs were literally touching the person behind you, there was a lot to say for cleanliness so all I can say is suffer this hotel at your own peril.

Had I known where the Company (who I haven't named) were going to put us then we would never have went on the trip, they don't tell you where you are going until you are headed there but I have taken this matter up with them and have issued them with lots of photos to support what I have said.

The bathroom was clean but apart from that nothing else was.

Yuck!!!!

Room Tip: I doubt if you will ever find a good room in this hotel so no tips to offer you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Arrived late after quite a long day. Chap on reception was friendly and obliging, checked us in with no bother and arranged our taxi to the airport the next morning. Wasn't expecting much reading reviews on here, and the hotel doesn't look much from the outside, but it was worth every penny we paid.

Clean room on the third floor, clean bathroom, fresh bedding, trouser press and tea making facilities. Shower was hot and powerful, the room was well heated and the television worked. We left the next morning feeling infinitely refreshed and very pleasantly surprised by it. There's nothing wrong with this hotel at all apart from the decor, but that's just a matter of taste, which I quite liked anyway.

Hale's a nice place, it's a shame we weren't there for longer really. Nonetheless, we had no problems with our taxi the next morning, the whole service was prompt and smooth. We paid about £45 for our stay, including taxi the next morning, and I've rarely spent that amount better. I wouldn't even be pushing it to say that this hotel was better than the one we stayed in at our destination. I really wish I could find a real reason to mark this hotel down to make my review more credible in the face of all these snooty reviews that seem to be expecting five stars, but I can't.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Was welcomed with a smile . Transfer to hotel booked and paid for by britannia . Basic . But clean . You get what you pay for . Id stay again . Yeah its bit dated . But I booked a stay over not the ritz . Few bars and restaurants and co op on door step . Glad I never got put of by stuck ip snobby reviews

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann C
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked this hotel to he near the airport, but please do not consider it and book elsewhere.

Good points - man on reception and barman who also seems to be the maintenance man, both very friendly. Hale is a very pleasant place, nice front street and lots of places to eat.( which you will need as hotel food was disgusting) Bathrooms have obviously been refurbished and are very clean with a good shower.

Bad points - where do I start, we arrived having booked online. They had no record of our booking, so even though we had all the paperwork, we had to sit in the bar area while they sorted it out. We were told this would take 10 minutes, after a 3 hour journey with parents and a four year old this was not what we needed. The 10 minutes ended up almost an hour!!! Whilst waiting I used the ladies toilets and on my return I said to my parents "I hope the rooms are cleaner than the toilets" I was soon to discover how ironic these words were!!! The toilets were thick of dust, dirty and covered in graffiti.

We were eventually given the keys to our two rooms. After fighting with the broken lift (which kept opening and closing several times on the same floor before going anywhere)The first room we entered had not been made up, beds had obviously been slept in and there were dirty towels and food cartons everywhere. Back to reception where another room key was given to us.

Both rooms we had were identical ie: disgusting. We considered refusing to stay but by this time we were all tired, didn't know the area and were here briefly before a flight next day.

The carpets are filthy and sticky, the furniture is decrepit, stained and dirty. There were stains up the walls, mould and damp stains all over the ceilings. Paint flaking off the ceiling in large patches in both rooms, one windowsill was flooded with water. Both rooms had fully opening Windows (we were on the top floor) and one room had a set of drawers directly in front, the other room had a torn badly damaged chair in front. (My point being my 4 year old could have climbed on this furniture and had access straight to a very easy to open window, a few floors up)

Neither of the very old fashioned tv's worked, the barman/maintenance man brought us aerial leads but the pictures were still barely visible. The beds were extremely hard and uncomfortable and the Windows did not have double glazing. I did not sleep at all as the bed was so uncomfortable plus the noise from the street below kept me awake.

Breakfast was self serve, the staff did not give us any instruction so we helped ourselves. The food was bland and tasteless, I couldn't get my knife through the hard sausages. We are served tea that had tea leaves floating in it and there were no strainers.

Really regret not leaving the night before or asking for our money back. Intend writing to Britannia and requesting a refund. This hotel should be closed down, it's the worst place I have ever stayed!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TR72JESS10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
The Airport Inn Manchester

Been to Britannia Ashley Hotel? Share your experiences!