“Hilariously bad”

Britannia Ashley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here overnight purely because it was close to my relatives. Yes, it is cheap for the area but still, £99 for 1 night in this place is actually terrible value for money. We arrived after a long journey to face a room that had not been cleaned. I have worked as a housekeeper before and know that it is a fairly grim and tiring job (and also don't want to upset anyone, or get anyone in trouble by complaining) but there are certain standards that should be upheld wherever you're staying.
I've stayed in $30 highway motels in America that were nicer than this. The floor was literally COVERED in stale bits of food, bits of plastic and general dirt. It looked like it hadn't been hoovered in weeks and was covered in yellow stains.
Then there were the work top counters, also all covered in stains and crumbs. The bathroom was tatty and uninviting, with a stale smell, stains on the floor and grim lighting.
The TV looked about 100 years old, the picture on the screen was grainy and fuzzy and the remote control was being held together with duct tape.
The bed had been made but was a complete mess and when we drew the covers back there were some hairs in the bed so who even knows if the sheets were clean.
The other furniture (arm chairs etc) were all covered in unappealing stains and snags.

We went down to reception to note to the staff that our room hadn't been hoovered and inquired could they possibly get that done. They informed us that all the cleaners had left for the day and all they could offer us was a room change, we had to get to get dinner and so couldn't faff around changing rooms and thus had to accept the shoddy room.

In their slight defense, when we arrived back later it became obvious that they had sent someone round to hoover the room for us, but it was still a complete state. (I was unable to get photos of the extent of the filth on the carpet before they hoovered it, but it was bad)

In the morning I went to make a cup of tea and had to clean the cups first because there were some mysterious bits of black matter sitting in the bottom of them and looked out the window to a nice view of the hotel bins.

We weren't so bothered by the extremely dated decor as it had it's own sad and weird charm but the hideous state of hygiene that the room (and the rest of the hotel) is in is just grim. They need to completely gut and redecorate the entire place.
Absolutely would not recommend, this place makes Travel Lodge look like The Ritz.

Room Tip: Not booking a room in this hotel would be a start to getting a good room
4  Thank JuliaLiam

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked a nights stay and four nights fly/park.

The Ashely hotel is shabby, dated and the room we had was in an of inch of dust. The bathroom was dirty and falling apart.

After being told we had to park the car in a public car park at our cost over night appreciate only £4 but not the point. Having a new car was not chuffed about leaving it in a public car park and to boot it's shared with a co-op store, so was concerned about damage. The receptionist promised to leave the transfer details in our room, but after my initial moan about the parking, she obviously thought, sod you I'll go home without doing it. Then I'm told that at 5am I'd have to drive 20 mins to their sister hotel, Country house as the transfer bus only runs from there. I did not read the small print when I booked, and in fairness it did say it, but no mention of a public car park.

I was told, they could not handle my complaint and I'd have to go back to the room and call "holiday extra's" who I'd booked through. Which is poor as I was at reception !!!

I tried again 6 hours later after a change of staff, and was met by another receptionist, who had a different attitude and tried his best to get me the information.

The taxi company made us wait 45 mins at the airport on arriving back, I spoke to every club car taxi that came to the meeting point in that time and they said, this happens all the time mate, just keep ringing the office. When I did, I was told that the mini bus was there and had driven around the rank several times looking for me! Finally when the taxi arrived, I was told by the driver that he'd just been given the job (after my call) and that I should think of the booking being late as God had probably saved us from something bad on the way home !!!!!

I very rarely complain as I cannot be bothered, but this hotel and the fly/park experience really put a dampener to the start of our holiday.

I feel better now I've got that off my chest, so may complain more !! Lol

Room Tip: My tip is to not stay here
3  Thank 720Traveller
Reviewed 10 June 2014

not good at all, poor cleanliness, poor standards of room furnishings and bedding, cheap as chips for a one night stay, you get what you pay for i suppose but i don't think id stay again, id rather pay a little more and feel comfortable, it felt like a hostel.

Room Tip: cheap is what it is!
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed here with a friend on a Saturday night and I was given a 3rd floor room which can reached by a lift or the stairs. The hotel is located very near to Hale train station and the nearby car park costs upto £4 to park between 8am and 6pm. There is restaurant and a bar on the ground floor where you have free wi-fi but it the signal did not reach the 3rd floor.
The room was clean and a reasonable size with a comfortable bed and it had tea and coffee available . The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels available and had a lovely power shower at the right temperature. The 2 negatives though were the windows were only single glazing so it a bit damp around the windows overnight. Plus the TV was very old and had only a few of the freeview channels.
The staff were friendly and very helpful and the all you can eat breakfast for £7 extra was very good value.
I did like my stay here and I would stay here again as the positives outweigh the negatives but I think some improvements do need to made.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CestAlty
Reviewed 25 May 2014

On arrival the hotel looked very tired and grubby from the outside we were greeted by a very nice man who gave us the key to our room very charming and helpful down hill from there. We opened our room door to be greeted by stale smoke not a good sign when you have lung complaint the room was very grubby and in my mind dirty. We can reception and the nice young man changed our room it was a bit better but there was black mould in the windows and the skirting boards had never seen a duster.We were given 1 pillow each I made do with the 1 solitary cushion as well because I need 2 pillows with my lung complaint . Breakfast bacon lovely but the rest oh dear dried up and the eggs looked as if they were the day befores the young man waiter managed to get some fresh eggs but not good swimming in grease. our bathroom shower curtain was dirty and unhygienic overall the hotel needs a good clean and refurbish would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

me and my girlfriend decided to stop in this hotel. After travelling down from Birmingham we expected a clean nights sleep but that is not what we got, after arriving at around 10PM the assistant on the check ins desk informed us they could not find our booking and we was standing there for around 20 tiring minutes. After finally getting a room we went straight to sleep. After waking up in the morning I had a look around our surroundings only to discover the room had not even been cleaned, the bins were full of rubbish, there was used cups around the room not even any toilet roll! I raised this issue with the staff member and was told to contact the manager, having done so i still have not yet recieved any response and its been 2 months! i do not reccomend this hotel at all.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The reviewer pics of the furniture are accurate. Picture on site is nothing like where you stay. My parents room on the 3rd level was dirty with ripped curtains and a heater that cooked the room! My room on level 1 was quite smaller even though they were both classed as Double Rooms. Room on Level 1 very, very stuffy with windows that could not be opened (security issue perhaps?). Furniture through out is old and damaged. Young man on reception handed you the keys to your room and that was it - seemed very shy. Had to make a few trips down to ask questions. Didn't even think to provide the WIFI password. The place needs a good make over. Did sleep well though and it was very convenient for making an early morning flight back to Sydney. We got what we paid for. The tea and coffee in your room was appreciated. Reception advised that WIFI is now only guaranteed in the public areas of the Hotel. Area is quite cute and would have liked to have had a chance to explore it. The Co-Op underneath the Hotel was convenient. The Cabbie who drove us from the airport used the oldest trick in the book, pretending to get lost. I have his details and will be reporting the incident. £18 to get from the airport and £10 to get there.

Room Tip: Most lower level rooms do get WIFI. If fresh air is your liking make sure you ask for a room with op...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
1 mi away
Best Western Cresta Court Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
The Airport Inn Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Travelodge Manchester Trafford Park

Been to Britannia Ashley Hotel? Share your experiences!