“Overpriced and apathetic service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Home Restaurant - CLOSED

Home Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Manchester
“Overpriced and apathetic service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I actually ate here mid March but haven't had a chance to review until now.

We had eaten here many times before....not that I would say I was a "regular", but still, several times, and mostly it had been fine.
We didn't get off to a great start to be told we had missed the early pm offer by about 5 minutes, and they weren't budging on that! Fair enough, our fault, we should have read the sign better.
The mains were all pretty expensive, so we skipped starters and went right to the mains.

The wait for the mains was just unacceptable. I appreciate it's not McDonalds, but most decent places cook from scratch and I have never had to wait almost an hour for my main! The worst of it was, we were the only table in there, so the chef can't have been that busy! We did ask "how much longer"...to which the rather rude waiter retorted" We cook everything fresh!"...whatever.

Still, I was hoping the mains would be worth the rather long wait, and we were all starving.

When the eventually came, mine was ok (some kind of beef stew and mash as I recall), my father in law's was ok too (bangers and mash...though you struggle to get that wrong).
The other two meals were appalling. The mother in law's pork steak was overcooked and dry and the supposed "roast veg" consisted of about 5 slices of carrots!!

My partners belly pork was tiny in size and also overcooked and tough. Considering these mains were about £11-12 we complained to the waitress. She said she would check with the chef, and came back and offered to get some more veg, which she did, but by this time we had all nearly finished so it was a bit pointless really.

Again, we stressed that we were disappointed and felt a bit let down (we weren't rude about it)...I would have expected that something would have been knocked off the bill for this, or at least given free deserts, but nothing, not even an apology.
I feel they don't value customers and provide very overpriced food and especially drinks. On this night they charged us £5.50 for a glass of house red. So, whatever you might save on the food, you will lose on the drinks.

We won't be going back. You only have to look at the empty tables in there and car park outside to see that this place is doing something badly wrong. I would far rather go round the corner to the Swan with two Nicks or up the road to the Jolly Thresher and get guaranteed great food and service.
Not recommended!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Redpanda22

Cheshire
“Superb Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Went to the Home purely by chance one lunchtime with friends. We took advantage of the specials offer. Not disappointed the food is without a doubt superb and the staff are very friendly all in all a great atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank chesh35
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

We decided to pop in here on our way back from Wales, we hadn't booked and when we arrived it seemed they were short staffed as unexpectedly let down by some waiting staff, however we we shown to our table and ordered our meal, it took a little longer than usual but was delicious, the service was exceptional and full marks to the staff (there were only a couple of waiters)who were exceptional. We will be returning for sure.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ravenchild
“Popped in on the off chance.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

We popped out for a drive and my daily mile walk, on the way home we fancied a bite to eat. Driving back to warrington we seen the large eye catching sign "two courses for £7" we thought we'd give it a try. We were welcomed by an Italian waiter who gladly asked us where we would like to eat. The level of communication was good about the food types and menu.

The choices which we had were soup, pâté and some deep fried dish which my fiancé had for our starters. The mains were; pulled pork burger and a slow roasted pork, all of which were good and well presented. My only gripe, was about the drinks, I had a pint of black currant and soda which was mainly ice. Overall a great visit and we will definitely go back again.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Abbo0107
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived to be greated by the "Italian" waiter who kept saying "chow bella" all the time, we didn't get asked where we would like to sit (it was quiet) they also got our drinks order wrong, we ordered our food and the starters were average, the mains arrived which were curry and belly pork which my Mum had ordered. It looked awful and tasted awful, which my Mum explained very calmly to the young waiter who looked half asleep! A waitress came over and listened to our comments and she told us that she would inform the kitchen. After that not one member if staff came over to us to apologise, they did not ask if we would like a desert or coffee (even though they had asked the other tables) we were left a while until I asked for the bill. When I went to pay at the bar (as no one came to our table) the waitress asked if everything was ok, when I started to explain to her that the service had been bad, the Manager came over waving his hands and started shouting at me. I paid the bill and told him we would not be coming back again, his reply was "good
chow bella" he was very rude and intimidating. They also have a new chef which speaks volumes!! I would rather pay extra than be treated like that!

• Visited June 2013