“Lovely country pub and restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Home Restaurant - CLOSED

Home Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dublin, Ireland
“Lovely country pub and restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

I love the UK and how you are driving in the middle of the countryside and there is always a country pub nearby serving food. Good food at that.

HOME is one such pub that we happened upon when we needed a lunchtime pit stop.

I had a fish and chips, which was very nice. I washed that down with a lovely pint bottle of Magners in a glassful of ice. It was a nice day so we sat out front in the sun.

Lush. Both me and the venue :)

• Visited June 2013

“Fine but not brilliant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

The last time I ate here they were advertising a refurbishment and that's good news as it certainly needs it. Quite tired looking and a previous attempt at what i assume was meant to be 'quirky' was a bit of a mess. The food is OK, nothing special but not bad either. I hope the refurbishment is a success and includes a review of the menu.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank JMA_Chester
Manchester
“Overpriced and apathetic service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I actually ate here mid March but haven't had a chance to review until now.

We had eaten here many times before....not that I would say I was a "regular", but still, several times, and mostly it had been fine.
We didn't get off to a great start to be told we had missed the early pm offer by about 5 minutes, and they weren't budging on that! Fair enough, our fault, we should have read the sign better.
The mains were all pretty expensive, so we skipped starters and went right to the mains.

The wait for the mains was just unacceptable. I appreciate it's not McDonalds, but most decent places cook from scratch and I have never had to wait almost an hour for my main! The worst of it was, we were the only table in there, so the chef can't have been that busy! We did ask "how much longer"...to which the rather rude waiter retorted" We cook everything fresh!"...whatever.

Still, I was hoping the mains would be worth the rather long wait, and we were all starving.

When the eventually came, mine was ok (some kind of beef stew and mash as I recall), my father in law's was ok too (bangers and mash...though you struggle to get that wrong).
The other two meals were appalling. The mother in law's pork steak was overcooked and dry and the supposed "roast veg" consisted of about 5 slices of carrots!!

My partners belly pork was tiny in size and also overcooked and tough. Considering these mains were about £11-12 we complained to the waitress. She said she would check with the chef, and came back and offered to get some more veg, which she did, but by this time we had all nearly finished so it was a bit pointless really.

Again, we stressed that we were disappointed and felt a bit let down (we weren't rude about it)...I would have expected that something would have been knocked off the bill for this, or at least given free deserts, but nothing, not even an apology.
I feel they don't value customers and provide very overpriced food and especially drinks. On this night they charged us £5.50 for a glass of house red. So, whatever you might save on the food, you will lose on the drinks.

We won't be going back. You only have to look at the empty tables in there and car park outside to see that this place is doing something badly wrong. I would far rather go round the corner to the Swan with two Nicks or up the road to the Jolly Thresher and get guaranteed great food and service.
Not recommended!

2 Thank Redpanda22
Cheshire
“Superb Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Went to the Home purely by chance one lunchtime with friends. We took advantage of the specials offer. Not disappointed the food is without a doubt superb and the staff are very friendly all in all a great atmosphere.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank chesh35
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

We decided to pop in here on our way back from Wales, we hadn't booked and when we arrived it seemed they were short staffed as unexpectedly let down by some waiting staff, however we we shown to our table and ordered our meal, it took a little longer than usual but was delicious, the service was exceptional and full marks to the staff (there were only a couple of waiters)who were exceptional. We will be returning for sure.

• Visited May 2013