“Comfortable overnight stay”

Ranked #3 of 7 Altrincham B&B and Inns
Devon
“Comfortable overnight stay”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

From the text on the morning of my arrival, to welcome me and offer assistance to find the farm, I cannot fault anything about Birtles Farm, a working farm in an extremely quiet location.
I stayed overnight to break a journey from the south of England to the north and was so pleased I chose this B&B. The friendly welcome from Sharon was just right. No long speech of where everything is and how everything works - like you get at some B&B's. I was travelling on my own and had the family room to myself at a very reasonable rate. The room was nicely furnished and the bed extremely comfortable with a snuggly duvet. It was a cold night and my radiator didn't seem to be working but Sharon brought me a panel heater straight away so I was warm.
The soft, fluffy bathrobe was a nice touch in an en suite room - as was the selection of tea bags. The shower cubicle was larger than normal which I appreciated. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order with and served with lovely granary toast - delicious!
All in all I was very impressed with my stay and would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We arrived quite late. Very friendly host Sharon showed us our room. Lovely decor, small en-suite. No wifi could be connected to either of our iPads and neither of our phones. Sharon offered to help but it was late so we didn't bother. In my opinion I felt that the pillows had seen better days plus the quilt was feather and I am allergic to feathers so that wasn't good. Perhaps I should have called beforehand to check. The breakfast was plentiful and quite nice. Although I felt slightly embarrassed sitting opposite complete strangers to eat on one large table.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shandylincs
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Have stayed at Birtles on several occasions. Run by Sharon always very freindly. A busy b&b. Good parking, local pub near by does not serve food every week day evening so check before otherwise use Travel Inn a short drive away. Would recomend but book early.

Room Tip: Near by pub does not serve food every day during the evenings, travel inn a short drive away ok for...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed b4 we went on holiday everything was lovely Sharon and David are lovely people made very welcome nice good breakfast ,went we got back from holiday we stayed for breakfast left the car at the farm which was great.liked it that much just been again over night for a shopping trip to knutsford and hale

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Great breakfast and very comfy beds, had to get out of in the morning! Also, you can expect all the care you need. I have stayed here for a few times now and find myself coming back. It's honestly a great place to spend the night and Sharon will always have recommendations if you look for e.g. a place to eat out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GJTHeemskerk
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at Birtles Farm on 2nd September , we only stayed one night but we were made so welcome . The room was more than comfortable , the subtle décor , the original features of the farm , the wooden beams and latches on the doors. Sharon was such a excellent hostess , we were provided with a scrumptious breakfast , she even catered for my husband who is vegetarian . If anyone is looking for accommodation I would thoroughly recommend staying at Birtles

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lia D
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

As I approached this bed and breakfast I was unsure whether or not I had arrived at the right place. You follow a long cobbly path down to approach a farm, hay stacks, horses etc. However at the end was this beautiful country house with original features such as wooden beams, original fire places. The house was full of character and lovely warm. Despite being an old house, our room was still very modern, and even had duck goose down duvets which were very comfortable.

Sharon was very accommodating, and showed us around the guest room which you are able to sit in if you wish to. Breakfast the next morning was also very lovely.

My only negative feelings towards this place are as follows:
- It can be a little uncomfortable trying to get hold of someone if you cant see anyone around, I found myself knocking on a few doors!

- The private bathroom was down the landing so felt a little uncomfortable at times walking to this. I was also unsure how private this was, whether it was for our room or all guests, as whilst we were in our bedroom we did hear someone enter and use this "private" room.

-Attention to detail. There were a couple of things missing, for example no spoons to stir hot drinks in the room, and no toilet roll in the bathroom- slightly awkward!

Other than those few thoughts, this bed and breakfast is a lovely place to stay, it's right next to Tatton Park which is great, but out in the country so nice and quiet :) I found it great value for money.

If you also like dogs, there are quite a few friendly ones on the farm who love a play and cuddle!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
BEST WESTERN Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#67 of 116 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Birtles Farm? Share your experiences!