“Good ”

Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
“Good ”
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Pulled up in the car and was a little unsure. 1st impressions?

Well i've always said never judge a book by it's cover!

The front of the hotel looked like an old victorian house, which certainly wasn't the case when we stepped inside.

Very clean and modern hotel with a beautiful restaraunt, which was light and spacious.

Pleasant staff which were helpful.
No lift which was a small problem being on the 2nd floor but staff offered to carry cases. Food good too!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2014
Sadly there is little we can do about the exterior but very pleased that we exceeded your initial impressions.
THanks for taking the time to share your views and hope we can welcome you back in the future

Paul Rodgers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight before flight to turkey next day. Had a family room which was spacious and super clean. Couldn't fault room etc. combined hotel and airport parking for approx £75 ( weeks parking at Manchester airport) excellent value. Definitely do it again .

• Stayed August 2014
Thanks for this positive review.
Pleased you enjoyed the stay

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This is a great hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean, spacious and quiet. There was plenty of parking. The bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty and plentiful. Evening meal was delicious.
It's in a great location as it’s only a 20-30 minute drive to Manchester.
They play all my favourite Elvis and oldies songs at breakfast. :)
The only slight criticism i have got is that there is no mirror near the hairdryer so it's very difficult to dry your hair accurately.
I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Citytraveller38
Thank you for sharing your experience and pleased to know that you had a good stay.
We do like give our guests a cheery start to the day with a wide mix of popular music at breakfast and pleased you appreciated this aspect.
Generally mirrors are situated at all dressing tables but will hunt the room where this is not the case and quickly correct

Hope you will return to us on future trips to this area

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I booked this hotel for just one night prior to an early flight. On arrival I thought it looked ok and was pleased with the speedy check-in.
The room was located on first floor and I walked up the modern stairs painted in a muted grey which looked quite appealing.
Unfortunately that is where it ended, once I turned into the corridor I saw very poor maintenance outside and inside the room.
The corridor and the bathroom had holes in the ceiling and were "filled" with pieces of wood, very poor.

The prices in the hotel were quite high with a lager costing over £4.00 and a small pizza quite exorbitant!

There was no one at the desk when I checked out and as the road was blocked my Sat Nav would not work properly, I returned to the hotel to be told by the receptionist that he didn't know exactly how to get there but "best to get on motorway", he said that he didn't have maps even though I was offered one on check-in.

I booked this hotel as it had a good rating so I don't know who is rating it so well, I will use the Britannia again next time.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tjniloc
Thank you for taking the time to express our views and apologise for the late response caused by my recent absence from thr hotel.
I very much regret the property did not meet your expectations but do accept there is a small area of corridor ceiling where a recent leak occurred that still requires attention I am not aware however of any further holes.
I have noted your comments about prices of certain items but believe our prices compare very well to hotels, restaurants and other foof outlets in this area.
Hope you enjoy future trips to this area in the establishment of your choice.

Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This hotel was booked for us by Thomson after they changed our flight from East Midlands to Manchester a few weeks before we were due to travel.

We had originally booked a Hilton with Airport Parking at East Midlands, on a Mystery Hotel deal and this was booked for the same price and a similar deal, although it meant we had to drive to the airport instead of getting a shuttle bus from the hotel.

On arrival the hotel looked nice and there was plenty of parking.

The hotel receptionist was extremely friendly and efficient.

We had a bit of an up and down stairs escapade to get to the room which was tucked away in quite a dark area of the hotel.

The room itself (I think it was room 42) was very, very small and felt quite tired and a bit old fashioned, although it was suitable for what we needed it for.

However, the real problems came when trying to get to sleep.

The bed was "sooooo" uncomfortable. It was one of those that my wife and I rolled together into the middle of the mattress. You were sort of hanging on to the edge of the mattress to try and stop from disturbing each other.

I think we were also right above the kitchens as there was banging and crashing underneath us which kept us awake going up to midnight - not ideal when we had to be up at 3am.

Also - very frustrating (but not the hotels fault) is the number of people that feel the need to either slam their bedroom doors and talking at the top of their voices in the adjacent rooms - without any consideration whatsoever for anyone else.

All-in-all, if I had paid what I had paid for this hotel I probably would have been sort of OK with it, apart from the bed and location above the kitchen. However, when I look at what we should have had for the money we paid (Hilton), I do feel quite disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room that isnt above the kitchens and check the mattress before committing to th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Firstly I am soory your flight was changed resulting in a move from Birmingham to Manchester and thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I do not consider that we have any rooms that are tucked away although we are not a purpose built box as many of the more modern hotels are and think of this as being a building of character.
The room you were allocated was not above the kitchen but even if this had been the case the kitchen is actually closed from 10.00pm through to 6.00am so not sure what the crashing and banging was but regret this disturbance and that caused by other inconsiderate guests.
Bed comfort is very much a personal think and generally receive good feedback on this aspect but will check this room and change if required.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I booked a family room through Holiday Extras and the Mercure Bowdon came in at £110 for 2 weeks airport on-site parking and a night in the hotel, so this appeared to be a no-brainer. Alternatives through HE were significantly more expensive, since the Mercure was the only one showing as offering family rooms. This was my fault for not looking outside Holiday Extras. The hotel is about a 15 minute drive to the airport, so do-able. However, on our night, there was work on the M56 which meant we were advised to allow One and a quarter hours to get to the airport. HE did not inform me of this. Had I known, I wouldn't have booked it.

My daughter has some mobility issues and we discovered quickly that this presented quite serious problems. There is a flight of stairs to the entrance of the hotel, but also there is no lift from reception to the family rooms that appear to be all downstairs. Now, she isn't too bad walking but struggled with all the stairs, so this is a hotel best avoided if you have any kind of disability that affects your mobility. We ended up checking in at one side of the hotel, where the reception is, then driving round the back so it avoided one flight of stairs to get to the room. Even then there were several steps up and down to get to the room. All very inconvenient.

Once in the room, it was average and clean enough. There was mildew in the bathroom and some dodgy looking electrics on the wall, but it seemed safe enough. We made the decision to stick it out but then the temperature rose and rose. It was getting unbearably hot and there was no air con. Also, the hotel's free wi-fi obviously didn't stretch to the basement family rooms so enough was enough. We upped and left at about 10pm, booked a very pleasant room in the Hilton at the airport but used the parking element of the deal. Not recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RobbyJBridlington
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this review but feel I should point out a few things for the benifit of future guests considering booking with us in the future.
Yes there are steps to the front door but there is also flat access to the hotel at both the front and rear of the building. We also have a fair number of rooms on ground floor level and allocate these to anybody who requests this option thus avoiding steps.
I cannot understand the comments relating to the increased temperature as the heating is off but guess we all suffered a bit with heat in the limited hot periods we had in July and August.
I regret that you felt you had to move which no doubt doubled your expense but pleased you availed yourself to other aspects of the deal purchased.
I do not think Holidayextras are to blame for the closure of the motorway and the advice given regarding increased travel time was a suggestion on our part by way of assisting guests and there were other routes also available.

Paul Rodgers

Travellers are raving about these Altrincham hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at the Bowden overnight before an early flight from Manchester in the morning. The stay included parking for 14 nights and a taxi transfer to and from the airport at either end of the holiday. The room was comfortable and well equipped for a 3 star hotel. There are no lifts so when travelling with lots of luggage before a holiday, being put in an upstairs room is a little tiresome.

A real winner was the evening meal in the restaurant. Good prices for outstanding food. We both had sea bass. If it is on the menu when you stay, it comes highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ground floor if travelling with luggage. No lifts!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Firstly my thanks for writing this positive review and pleased your stay with us set you up for a good holiday.

Having had dinner in the restaurant myself recently I have to agree that the seabass was an excellent choice as I also enjoyed this dish

Paul Rodgers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
The Airport Inn Manchester
Cottons Hotel & Spa
Cottons Hotel & Spa
#2 of 9 in Knutsford

Been to Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel? Share your experiences!