Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Tewin Bury Farm Hotel(Welwyn Garden City)
View Hotel
Brocket Hall(Welwyn Garden City)
Ramada Hatfield(Hatfield)
View Hotel
The Lodge Welwyn(Welwyn Garden City)
View Hotel
All reviewsworld cuptop floora quiet residential areafree wifibusiness tripsingle bedpleasant stayhatfield houseshort stayweekend breakreception staffbirthday partystayed here for one nightbuffet breakfastplenty of parkingwedding receptiongood nights sleep
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We booked two nights at Homestead Court and were upgraded to an Executive Suite in the annex 'Banks Suite' and found that we were more than catered for with all amenities within easy reach. The Suite was superb from the moment we opened the door till the moment we closed it at the end of our stay.

The staff at reception were superb in helping us where we needed it. We were there for our Niece's wedding on the Saturday but had to book the extra night before as we were travelling from Manchester.

The King George Suite was a fine example of Staging such an event and the staff were friendly throughout. We will be staying here in the near future for sure and personally I cant wait to come back.

The Food was fabulous which they served us for the Wedding Breakfast and On both mornings the Breakfast was FANTASTIC !!!

One tiny thing which most of us at the Wedding found to be a pain was the prices of alcohol and soft drinks......!!!

I left a TripAdvisor sticker on the window of Banks Suite because I felt it was deserved !!! Great Hotel !!!

Room Tip: We have stayed in this Hotel twice, once in the Main Hotel and obviously this time in the annex. On both occassions it was superb so for us our advice it dont matter where you stay your guaranteed good views, sleep and superb food.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012

A return visit here early July 2012for 2 nights.
Our needs were - a twin room - an evening drink - and breakfast.

Room had been updated since last year. Twin beds, toilet with sink and shower room.
Breakfast was as good as many major hotels. Full selection of cereals, yoghurts, eggs, bread/rolls/jams + cooked breakfast made to order.

All staff we encountered were very polite, friendly and courteous.
Lounge has sports tv channel on. Bar snacks available and full bar.
Outside the bar are picnic tables with umbrellas looking onto a lovely garden.

The decor is dated and the cranky lift is slow but all in all, it is excellent value for money.

Room Tip: In summer ask for a room with air-conditioning- cost a bit more but will be well worth it.
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed in one of the newer studio rooms in the extension, which was very pleasant, with French doors leading into a small private garden. We were able to park right outside the door, which was convenient, as we had lots of luggage after a long trip. Staff were particularly friendly & helpful, & we had a fast response to our request for a repair to the bathroom light.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Having read reviews before & after my stay, I would say the purpose, or reason for anyones choice for staying here is down to convenience, or cost. Expectation of accommodation will always differ with the individual. My choice was because we were attending the London Olympics over the weekend 27 - 30th July. and as London was too costly for accommodation, this Best Western was so convenient to the Railway station - a 20 minute walk & London. Less than an hour to London Olympics by train when we went each day on the Sat & Sun. A taxi was only £3.50 - £4 if you didn't want to walk. The area the hotel was in was within a Housing estate, but to me it looked like ex-military houses, along with he hotel looking like ex military accommodation. Lovely gardens & clean & spacious car parking areas
The hotel staff were from Europe, what does it matter where they are from, but spoke good english & they were polite & friendly. Our accommodation was on the 4th floor - basic, clean & there was a fan which we used, as it was a very warm & sunny room we had been allocated - I would not have wanted one that was not facing the sun, as like other comments from guests have said - the rooms were antiquated. Not too much though & " hey" they were clean & comfortable. Yes, also there is page in the guest directory that said you could ask a member of staff for another pillow if you found yours was uncomfortable - they had a list of different gradings for choice - i.e soft firm, hard, & different fillings, so you were spoilt for choice. We ddn't have a meal there other than breakfast & there was plenty of choice in a lovely clean dining area. The staff do not need guests who are constantly complaining & they were there doing a wonderful job. Guests do have complaints at times, but by some of the comments on here they have an attitude to start with as well. You cannot please everyone it seems. I would like to say this is average, but the place served its purpose for my needs.
Also a reasonable 2 for 1 meal new pub, about 100yds away, so if you wanted more choice on food & only slightly cheaper drinks, you had the option to eat & drink elsewhere. Also another couple of yards there was a row of shops that had a lot of takeaway shops, bakers &, supermarket on hand as well as a bank.
Don't have too high hopes here for a modern hotel, but I can say a military style looking establishment, the hotel t me was clean, comfortable, staff doing a good job & breakfast was lovely - I couldn't fault it.

Room Tip: Don't rely on negative comments from others on the noise, cleanliness or attitude of staff - I can only also comment on my room on the 4th floor which was comfortable & I had a pleasant stay.
Reviewed 3 August 2012

but unfortunately this isn't one of them.

My whole experience of this place from check in to check out is that nobody who works there cares about the place.

Check in - As I'm a business traveller for the most part and work for a large company I have an American Express card to pay bills with. At check in there is a large notice which states that if paying by Amex you will be charged an extra 5% on the bill. That's put me in a good frame of mind. Being a BW Diamond Card holder I asked for the room upgrade and was turned down (ok if they're full but I don't think they were judging by the car park emptiness the next morning).

Getting to the room was via an antiquated lift which eventually did the job it was supposed to. On arrival at the 2nd floorthe hallway looks like a what I'd imagine a prison in soviet era times might look like (see photo).

The room. Opening the door (which did not fit well to the frame) revealed something which appeared not to have been decorated since the 1970s. Plywood effect wallpaper which was peeling away from the wall in places. The lower sheet on the bed was badly stained (see photo) which really should have been replaced but considering the state of the room I really it really come too high up my list of priorities.

The bathroom is accessed not by a door but a sliding wooden panel which had probably been there since the place was built. Inside the bathroom the hotel had thoughtfully provided some toiletries which were a bright pink and a bright green as a consequence I really didn't fancy using them that much although they may have been perfectly ok. The bath mat should have been replaced long ago (see photo) and was discoloured. The previous occupant had long black hair as I discovered several on the mat and in the bath.

The bar area was ok and served a limited selection of drinks which is ok for a hotel bar and didn't seem overpriced. The bar food was ok and I ate here twice. The service from the bar staff was slow and unenthusiastic. On the second night I had to clean my own table in the bar area as they hadn't done so.

Checkout was another grudging experience was they should have applied my Diamond discount to the bill. This was done when I asked for it. I asked for them to change the invoice address on my bill, the receptionist told this could not be done without a business card. I told him that that no other BW hotel requires a card to change the address on the invoice - he changed the address grudgingly. Finally I got the correct bill with the Amex surcharge added.

There are no leisure facilities on site but I knew that when I booked. If you want leisure activities then you have to go to Gosling Sports Centre which is a couple of miles away but free to guests.

The only good thing about this hotel is the free WiFi which worked well even allowing me to VPN into my company network.

Overall I wouldn't stay here again as there are other better hotels around for similar money. Try either of the two Quality hotels in St Albans before booking this. I would not want to take my family to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here find somewhere - almost anywhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business