Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Not the best!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We chose to stay here as we only decided on this trip last minute and all the other hotels nearer to london were alot more than this. £160+ for 2 nights.
When we arrived, we were asked to pre-authorise our bank card, just in case we chose to charge anything to the room. Little did we know, they were actually charging £50 to our card (only discovered this when we got home and had to call for a refund! All after we had gone into an unplanned overdraft). Apparently this is standard and there is a sign (we never saw it) and they tell everyone who checks in about this charge. Yet the chap on the front desk, did not tell us this, just charged away without us knowing they were taking the money!!!
Another reason we chose this hotel was the free wifi in all rooms. This never worked once. 2 evenings in a hotel and all they would tell us is that the internet had problems and maybe it would work later, the guy on reception wasn't bothered, just kept shrugging his shoulders. We paid for breakfast for both mornings, this was not great, the hot food that was on offer looked like it had been there for hours and all the waitress said was they would refill once it needed to be.
The room itself was nice to look at, but was not the best of smelling and we had to keep the window open most of the time. a very nice en suite.
The location itself is nice and very quiet and the train to London is regular. Very good for location, just a shame everything else is not as good.
One night there was a very loud party in the hotel and alot of what were clearly underage drinkers in and outside the hotel, which meant we were unable to sit in the bar and have a quiet drink.
In summary, I would not recommend this hotel to friends and family as our experience was pretty miserable.

Free Wifi - unavailable
Breakfast - below average
noisy party
£50 charge on check-in (Travellers should really be told this before booking!)

overall i would rate this visit 2/10

Room Tip: Beware of the £50 charge to check-in they put on your card!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
In response to your comments on tripadvisor, I would confirm that we do ask for a preauthorisation of guests card. The £50 taken from your card is held by your bank on a short period as security and I would stress that we do not take money from the card ourselves.
During your stay our Wi-Fi system had some problems and only worked in the ground floor area
this temporary breakdown has now been resolved and the Wi-Fi works again perfectly.
You mention the birthday party that was held on the Saturday night and I would confirm that our staff obtained IDs from all younger guests to establish their age and there were certainly no under age drinkers.
I was disappointed with your comments with regards to our breakfast we pride ourselves of being one of the best breakfasts in Hertfordshire and and have received nothing but compliments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Epping, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel is in the middle of a housing estate and a surprise indeed. Try to get a room on the top floor at the back to enjoy the fields below. The food is a bit limited and pricy. Plus the BIG TV screen makes the place more like a sports bar. Luckily the Chieftan pub is just down the road! Mind you the bar is open very late for that "last minute nightcap". After a certain time it MUST be charged to your room though. So watch your expense receipts.... The staff are really friendly and I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank John B
Thank you for taking the time to respond on tripadvisor.
Our main bar is very popular with its large screen television for football at sporting events.
We have both a bar menu and restaurant menu together with a specials board offered to our diners.
I'm glad that you found my staff helpful and friendly and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and was impressed. Friendly staff, always willing to help. Breakfast was good with quite a variety to choose from. Quiet location too.
Had a challenge paying for cabs with credit card, seems to be a general problem in England though. I'll stay here again definitely.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time in responding on tripadvisor,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and said that you will be back again in the not too distant future
Bournemouth, UK
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Ok here are the good points
1. A half board rate for under £100 per night so close to London is excellent value
2. If you like your sport then the bar/lounge will suit you, with a big screen but not too load as to upset anyone
3. Bar/restaurant staff are very friendly, fast, efficient and helpful
And the rest....
1. Very tired looking room. Functional but no more. All woodwork in desperate need of a lick of paint (can't comment on better rooms as I was in a standard room)
2. Food was very average, almost at a "poor pub standard" with anemic almost hard chips or easy cook rubbery rice served with most things.
3. Wi-fi worked for only the first of the three night I was there. On the second night I was told it would be fixed by about 11pm and by the third night I was told it was the service providers fault. No apology was given...even though i did explain that the main reason i chose the hotel was for Wi-fi so i could work in the evenings. The chap on reception did not appear to see it was important.
Would I stay again....No!
3. Wi-fi that only worked for one of the three nights I was there

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
In reply to your comments on tripadvisor, our bedrooms are continuously being decorated and upgraded.
The 66 bar is very popular with big-screen television for football games sporting events which we find that many of our guests enjoyed watching.
We have both a bar menu and restaurant menu also with a large choice of specials of the day displayed on a board.
At the time of your stay we did have problems with our Wi-Fi which is now resolved
I am glad that you found the staff efficient and the half-board rate excellent value.
I hope that you might return to the hotel sometime in the not too distant future.
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We booked an Executive Studio to stay for 1 night as this was close to Tewin Bury Farm who did not have any rooms available for a party we attended. I will be open and say, never judge a book by its cover. The room we stayed in "Ball" was Newley and tastefully decorated, situated on the ground floor, was very clean and comfortable plus had all the amenities required for a short stay. Tea and Coffee making facilities, plus an option to order and have your breakfast delivered to your room which I thought was a nice touch. All in all I cannot fault our stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew B, Manager at Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time in responding on tripadvisor.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in our ball suite
the suite is situated in our annex adjacent to the hotel
and has newly been refurbished.
I hope that you might take the opportunity returning to the hotel again in the not too distant future
Bath
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked this hotel based on location, (our daughter lives nearby) price and tripadvisor reviews.

We were away for a special anniversary. We were very chuffed to discover we were upgraded to a lovely room on the fourth floor. The staff here are all so welcoming, friendly and very efficient too. The hotel is in a very quiet residential area. It was very busy on the evening that we were there but all was quiet outside our room. No noise disturbances. Our room was lovely, really clean and fresh. Great bed. Had a great nights sleep. We didn't have any meals here because we were out with family. - Great places to eat nearby. Will def be staying here in future, when we next go to our daughters. Really pleased we chose The Best Western.

Room Tip: The fourth floor has the upgraded rooms. Really quiet up there too.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time in responding on tripadvisor
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our executive rooms.
I'm sorry that you did not managed to dine with us on this occasion but I hope that when you return which you say you will you will remedy this point.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future
midlands
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for one night only as we were attending a wedding nearby. Initially surprised at the location,as it seemed to be in the heart of a housing estate, but it proved to be a quiet area. The hotel itself was hopelessly clean, tastefully furnished, as were the bedrooms, and the staff were very helpful and polite. Our room as I said, was tastefully furnished, spotless clean, and the bathroom was excellent. Bed was comfortable, and the room was warm and draught free. My only criticism is that soundproofing is poor, and we could hear people using the toilet and flushing it. Other than that, it was a quiet location, and I would use this hotel again. We didn't partake of breakfast on this occasion, so cannot comment on that aspect.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time in responding on tripadvisor
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found my staff polite and pleasant.
The rooms comfortable and clean and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welwyn Garden City
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City H...
#2 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Premier Inn Hatfield Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 2 in Welwyn

Been to Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel? Share your experiences!