“Visiting the new member of our family”
Review of The Brocket Arms

The Brocket Arms
Tarporley, United Kingdom
“Visiting the new member of our family”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

What a little gem-hidden away in deepest Hertfordshire. Stayed 1 night - room very adequate and comfy. Evening dinner was god as was breakfast - the staff were very helpful and efficient
What a lovely little village - history and all

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

It’s a while since I last visited this pub, which has a lot of character and is in a nice location. I ordered a sandwich for lunch which was very poor considering the price and garnished with crisps. On another table in the garden where I was sitting, a small groups order had been ‘lost’ as they were ‘so busy’, even thought it was a quiet mid week lunchtime. One real ale I ordered I gave back as it tasted of vinegar which in fairness was exchanged without question. The staff were young people who seemed to be run off their feet or in the case of the kitchen staff, not caring very much. Complacency and slack management seem to be the order of the day here.
There is also an elaborate children’s play area in the garden, so if you want to eat and drink accompanied by lots of screaming kids, this is the place to be.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Broadstairs
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My partner and I spent last night in this establishment and had a fantastic dinner. Excellent portion sizes and superb service. The room was spotless and we were made very welcome.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Essex, UK
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Told on arrival that they had no record of my booking for Sunday lunch for 4 - and that the pub was already fully booked when I called - there was much discussion about whether I had actually called and who did I speak to, I would not think of asking for a name. I know I called as the girl I spoke to explained all about the short walk from Shaw's Corner, that there was sometimes a BBQ if the weather was fine and that food in the restaurant was served until 2.30. I was even able to provide evidence of my email to a friend in our party confirming our reservation. All a bit embarrassing, clearly staff were busy and we did feel that we were becoming a bit of a nuisance - eventually and we felt at the time rather grudgingly, a table was found in the bar. The food, service and atmosphere were good; have since received further apology from the manager.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The food was good, and the atmosphere is your usual old English pub. The service was friendly. It's in a very quiet little village. You can eat outside as well as inside, and order burgers from a little shed out back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Had a lovely stay at the Brocket Arms. Enjoyed a stroll around Ayot St Lawrence - very picturesque village, be sure to hunt out the 'new' church. A post stroll beer in the beer garden was idyllic in the late afternoon sun. Bhup the manager was extremely friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. We stayed in the kingsize room - well appointed, bright and airy - if a little bit expensive for what it was. Nice and warm, and plenty of hot water too. Had a very nice meal in the restaurant - good food at reasonable prices. Service was very good too. All in all, a really nice stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport Pagnell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Heard a lot of good things about the food here. We turned up after a lovely long walk in the delightful local countryside and decided to go for the fresh BBQ option in the Brocket Arms garden. £7.50 for a burger in a bun, with a bit of salad (and it was a bit) and a few (and I mean a few) crisps was over priced. I don't know - a lovely sunny day with people out and perhaps they felt they didn't have to work to hard on the food front. Compared to other pubs whose food we have experienced over the last few months this was bottom of the list. I will say the staff in the bar were efficient and the beer was well kept.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank robriekie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Welwyn Garden City
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City Hotel
Premier Inn Welwyn Garden City H...
#2 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,109 reviews

Been to The Brocket Arms? Share your experiences!