“Mid week meal!”

The Crooked Chimney
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Serving the Lemsford community for more than 200 years, the building was originally a farmhouse called Hornbeam Hall. Its use as an inn dates back to 1756 when it was called The Chequers. In 1777 Searanckes Brewery of Hatfield acquired the building which remained as The Chequers until 1968 when it was renamed The Crooked Chimney after its distinctive crooked brick chimney. The Crooked Chimney in Welwyn Garden is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar. Book a table and enjoy a spot by our roaring log-fire. Or make the best of the British summertime by eating alfresco in our pretty beer garden.
Barnet, United Kingdom
“Mid week meal!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Myself & husband went for a mid week meal, was very quiet and we waited half hour for starter and a further half hour wait after fininishing starter before the main ccourse arrived. I had the chicken pie which was lovely but my husband's steak was disappointing, small and did'nt arrie with the sauce he ordered with it. We did complain and was told there were new staff!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank EmmaHone

Milan, Italy
“Don't stop here....”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, that is.

We stopped for dinner here as the place looks quite appealing from the outside; it's also quite a cosy pub on the inside....

Oh, how looks can be deceiving.

It was an early evening supper on a Monday evening, so the pub was far from busy. The staff seemed very nice & initially attentive. We were starving & ordered a starter to share, plus two (uncomplicated) mains : a pie & a burger.

The starter arrived after about ten minutes, but having finished that & sat there waiting for a further forty minutes for the mains, I decided to go & find out where they were....

Bearing in mind this place was only about a quarter filled; busy due to number of orders is no excuse. Looking around, half of those tables were still waiting to place their orders.

I'm only going to reiterate what the previous reviewers have said. Mediocre food served after an incredibly long wait.

We won't be returning. A real shame as it has all the potential to he a great little eatery.

3 Thank Metrodiner
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Ridiculous!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

After a long journey came with my parents to grab some food before continuing home, passed by 'the crooked chimney' which was set in a good location and had a fairly decent choice of foods. No problem being seated, but once we had ordered it got to the point where we considered leaving. It must of been over an hour wait, with no apology for delay or update in what was happening which I found to be a lack of common courtesy. When food finally did come to add insult to injury (because by this point we were all starving and had thought we'd been forgotten) our carveries came the majority of food on each plate being completely burnt and unedible. It didnt even warrant a bite to see that the food was completely black through and how a chef trained in food could not be embaressed to serve that is beyond me - I wouldn't serve that at home let alone in an establishment where people are paying for nice food. Also the 'pigs in blankets' were completely charred and were almost unrecognisable in distinguishing what part of the meal they were meant to be. To make matters worse, when we spoke out about this saying that it was unacceptable, and how can you serve that the reply was that the marinade or sauce was the reason for the potatoes state (Absolutely ridiculous excuse) they were like rocks and the knife bounced off of them when attempting to cut. Eventually they were sent back and we had 'Whatever was left over' - thanks! Which in comparison to our initial food was entirely different which made it slightly infuriating that a staff member could say the ones prior were of adequate standard. Now that I've read the reviews I can see this isnt a one off, and it's re-occuring which I think is a shame for them no one else. People will go elsewhere to eat, however if this poor management and kitchen staff continue, the business will eventually run itself into the ground. You'd think they'd learn their lesson and not say the customer is wrong, when so many are saying the same thing. Obviously a message there.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Rebecca C
London
“Don't bother complaining to the owners!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We took our grandchildren for a special summer 2014 treat for the second time to this restaurant, as we thought the first time (around Christmas 2013) was a one off. Unfortunately it wasn't, the staff seemed to be lost after we were shown to our table which we booked in advance for 6pm. It wasn't busy, a few people in the garden, 3 or 4 people coming in for dinner. I ordered the drinks at the bar on tab as there was a lack of staff around. eventually ordered our food, and waited. 1 hour later it arrived, no apologies. The food was just passable but my grandson's steak (not a children's portion but from the main menu) was tough as boot leather, he was struggling to eat it. I complained and was informed I could order something else from the menu. So we waited for our plates to be cleared, and waited over 15 more long minutes. By this time I was losing my patience, got up and went to the till, paid for the main course apart from the steak. I can't understand how Vintage Inns can be so unprofessional in today's competitive market by serving up such bad food and sloppy service! The location is fantastic, the place perfect, but I will pass by from now on without ever going in again. I also emailed Vintage Inns to let them know my experience. I had no reply, which does not surprise me as the saying goes " bad service starts from the top!"

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank m_heighington
Watford, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The crooked chimney is a quaint pub restaurant , staff are friendly and food was good , had to wait a little while but gave us time to catch up with our friends , people are too quick to moan if you are in a rush and want fast food go to McDonald's !!

• Visited June 2014