“Best in hertfordshire”

Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Good service lovley food freshley cooked love the don saterday night five of us i realley liked lemb naga r

2  Thank sam12355
There are newer reviews for The Don

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and three others dined at The Don on Saturday, 2nd of August. Three of the party ordered lamb which turned out to be tough, tastelsss and overcooked. This was mentioned to the waiter who called whom I presume was the manager. He seemed rather nonplussed and insisted he hadn't had any other complaints. We suggested he returned the lamb to the chef for his comments which he did; he returned after a few minutes with the same dishes and informed us that the chef said it was fine and that there was nothin g wrong with them. While he did offer to 'take the dishes' off the bill he then informed us that any replacement lamb dishes would 'be the same'. We declined. At this point he then plunged his fingers into one of the lamb dishes, grabbed a piece of meat, held it up for all to see, and then squeezed and crushed it claiming this to be proof that the lamb was not tough. I have never witnessed such disgraceful behaviour in any restaurant in my life. I paid the bill and we left. I know The Don has had excellent reviews but our complaint (three out of three lamb dishes) was handled so appallingly that I will never visit or recommend this restaurant again. Could so easily have been avoided!

14  Thank john h
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have always had great meals when dining at The Don, but I have had 2 takeaways from there recently and they were really disappointing. I had a chicken tikka masala for the first time in years on the first occasion and found it too sweet and tasteless. On the second occasion we collected a takeaway and whilst driving home from the collection they phoned to say they had left something out, but were too busy to deliver. We had to go back and as an apology they gave us 2 poppadoms!!!!!! I have a chicken tikka biryani and the curry that came with it was like dirty tap water! It had no flavour and was not edible. A friend also had a bury anti and she also was not happy with the quality. Really disappointed with what has always been a lovely restaurant, think I will give The Neem Tree ago.

4  Thank lola-italy
Reviewed 1 August 2014

First time visit at The Don and found the whole experience brilliant, food was the best I have had in a long time, service & presentation was great, will definitely be going back again.

1  Thank Jax662014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Good service , plenty of space and it looks like only fresh good quality ingredients are used especially with the vegetarian dishes.