“Great value hotel - but they must improve the air conditioning”

Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Spent three nights at this newly modernised hotel - but finished up in three different rooms!

We stayed here for 3 nights before flying back to Canada - it's a convenient location for Heathrow and well served by public transport as well as the airport shuttle bus. First impressions of the refurbished former Quality Inn were excellent - we asked for a room away from the main road and were very pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. Rooms without sofabeds have only one chair - so it's worth asking for a sofabed if you're going to spend much time there.

Our first night was disturbed only by the temperature in the room - there was no way to adjust the airconditioning in order to cool down. During the second night the heat become unbearable - and at 1am, the water pipes in the adjoining service cupboard started vibrating (due to high water pressure - we were advised to run the shower for 5 minutes, but to no avail) and we were offered another room. The night receptionist helped us move our luggage to a large disabled-friendly room on the same floor at 1.30am and made sure we were comfortable there before leaving.

Whilst the room was well-equipped for a disabled person, the soundproofing through the interconnecting door to the adjoining room was non-existent and resulted in an early wake-up call as our neighbours rose at 5.30 am for their flight. Before breakfast we asked for another room for our third night and were immediately offered a choice of moving at 9.30 am or later in the day, when we returned from a day out. Hotel staff were dispatched to help move our luggage once more.

Throughout this process, the receptionist and staff could not have been more helpful - even calling by to make sure we were comfortable in our third room! However, they were unable to address the root of the problem - which is an airconditioning system that is set to 'heat' in the winter and 'cool' in the summer, but no way to pump cool air into an overheated room. A desk fan is available on request and helps out a bit, but it's really no solution to a ventilation system that's clearly unfit for purpose.

Until Holiday Inn can resolve this problem, an otherwise excellent hotel with friendly and helpful staff is spoiled by an unbearably warm room temperature. The corridors were cool however, so maybe that`s the place to get a good night's sleep?

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road are quiter. Avoid rooms with interconnecting doors. Ask for a room fan...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
HI_Express_T5, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback regarding your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5.

I am very pleased to learn that you were more than satisfied with the Hotel location, value for money & above all service of our staff. I am also very disappointed to read of the inconveniences you endured caused by the problem with the heating. I assure you that our engineers have looked into this & the problem is now resolved.

We hope you will be able to fully enjoy your next stay with us at Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

I have stayed at this hotel roughly 20 times in the last few months as its close to Heathrow for when i fly in late at night but its also very well positioned for Slough, Windsor,Ascot etc especilly if you haev a hire car.
As i said this really is a functional hotel that really isnt aimed at the luxury end of the market, they have a limited menu althogh the italians next door is extremely good with freshly prepared produce and they will deliver to your room.
The HotelHoppa bus picks up and drops of at all terminals...approx 20/30 minute ride depending on destination.
A few peiople have commented on price and i have stayed here for as little as £29.00 for a night which includes a basic but satisfactory breakfast.
In summary so much better than some airport hotels costing 3 times as much, good location, not high end luxury but clean, tidy, comfortable and good welcoming staff.

Room Tip: book a double if you are travelling alone as singles a bit narrow.
1  Thank PMACCA

Thank you so much for your such a fabulous review following your multiple stays with us at Holiday Inn Express London Heathrow T5.

It gives us great pleasure to read your compliments regarding all aspects of the Hotel & fuels our desire to offer our valued guests genuine hospitality & quality services.

We are honoured that you are our regular guest & look forward to welcome you during your next visit.

Operational Manager - F&B

Reviewed 13 February 2012

As other reviewers observe, this hotel is quite a long way from T5 but then I believe most T5 hotels are. The good thing about this hotel is that its one of the best of the new Holiday Inn Express hotels and you can occasionally get really good rates (we paid £40/night for a twin room on a Sunday night in February). The price includes breakfast which is standard fare for hotels of this class (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton by Hilton) but the breakfast at this hotel is as good as it gets. That's not to say it's great but it's certainly edible and plentiful. Our room was relatively large with reasonably comfortable single beds and a very large and well finished shower. If you aren't bothered about being really close to T5 or if you need to stay close to Slough this can be a really good choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5.

I am pleased to note that you overall enjoyed your stay with us & especially appreciated the good value, breakfast, room comfort & amenities.

We do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I ended up staying one night in this hotel due to having a ba flight cancelled and not being able to fly until the following afternoon. I originally had called the holiday inn ariel phone number but I assume it was a call centre as the friendly guy on the phone advised there were no rooms but there were a few at the holiday inn express terminal 5. The booking was made quickly and efficiently and I was relieved to have somewhere to stay as the heathrow hotels were filling up fast due to the snow and lots of cancelled flights.

The hotel is easy to get to from terminal 5 as you jump on the H5 hotel hoppa bus from directly outside arrivals and you're there in 10 minutes. Not quite so easy to the other terminals but it is good for T5. On arrival at the hotel check in was pretty slow, however I can forgive this as they were very busy and and most of the people seemed to have been on cancelled flights.

The room was lovely. Very modern and clean. The lighting was nice and there was a large proper desk and a nice sized tv with freeview and pay to view movies. The bathroom was also very modern and spotless. I had a great nights sleep and the room I was in faced a central courtyard so was nice and quiet. I also really like the choice between firm or soft pillows on the bed which is a nice touch.

Breakfast was pretty standard. Not quite up to par with breakfasts in premier inns however there were a few hot items and a nice selection of fresh pastries so all in all not the worst breakfast I've ever had. Again service was a bit slow but they were very busy.

Due to the circumstances of the stay and the short notice booking I was very pleased with this hotel and I was impressed with the rooms and my stay. I will stay again if I need to stay over a night at Terminal 5.

1  Thank Graeme T

Thank you very much for your kind comments on your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your unexpected stay with us. Thank you for reminding us that it is the small touches that make a difference & also for being so understanding about our shortcomings in light of the busy situation.

We would be so happy to have you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Ours was a very last minute booking brought on by the threat of snow so we probably paid over the odds even though this was the cheapest deal going at such short notice. The hotel was easy to find, had a large but not secure car park and plenty of rooms. I expected it to be noisy because it fronts onto a major road but we heard no road noise at all.

The room was in pretty good condition and was a little smaller than a standard Holiday Inn room and was very blue. The wall-mounted television was a tad on the small size and had an astonishingly complicated menu system that seemed to be designed to accidentally on purpose trick you into accessing pay channels.

HIE is the pared down, budget version of Holiday Inn and the differences are clearly thought out. For example you don't get a wardrobe – you get a hanging rail – and the bathroom has only a shower (though a nice big one) with shampoo/body wash dispensers instead of a bath with shower over and little bottles of goop. The towels were big, white and fluffy so no complaints there either. You do of course get a kettle and tea and coffee supplies.
The lighting in the room was quite good with multiple uplighters and downlighters. I get really annoyed by hotels that light their rooms as if they expect you to use them only for sleeping and don't provide any place where you might actually be able to see what you're doing. Aside from the row of blinding spot lights strangely placed above the bed head (and guaranteed to make anyone lying on it feel like they are being interrogated) it was pleasantly and effectively lit.
Time to moan and groan about the bed – it was absolutely awful. The moment I sat on the bed and sank straight into the mattress I knew that neither of us would get a proper night's sleep. It was such a shame since everything else about the room was fine or really good but the bed was BAD. You don't need to be an over-sensitive princess with a thing about peas to have a miserable sleepless night on such an awful mattress. I did find myself in the middle of the night wondering if it would be better to open up the sofa bed and sleep on that instead.

I'm not usually a fan of HIE breakfasts which tend to be free because they're so dreadful that nobody would ever be willing to pay for them. In this HIE the breakfast wasn't bad at all and included hot food that didn't look like it had all come straight out of a microwave. I have to admit that when I lifted the lid of one of the food servers my husband said “Oh look, porridge!” when it was actually scrambled eggs. Toast, pretty good looking croissants and pains au chocolat were tempting but I wasn't really hungry enough to do them justice. The coffee was very poor and the juice a bit 'iffy' but this would still go down as the best HIE breakfast I've experienced to date.

For people without their own transport there's a hotel shuttle service to the airport for which you have to buy tickets from machines in the lobby. I always think it's a bit of a cheek to charge for these buses as so many airports in other countries have free bus services and the tickets can add a lot to the cost of your stay.

We've stayed in many of the hotels around Heathrow and this is far from the worst for the price paid It's further away than many of the hotels and cheaper than those which are nearer so unless you need to be at the airport ultra-early, it's not too bad to be a little further away. If you book it for your car parking as well as an overnight stay, I would suggest to make sure that the security barriers are actually working before agreeing to pay. In view of the awful bed I could only really recommend this if you can deal with soft beds – or are willing to open up the sofa bed instead.

Room Tip: If your bed's as bad as ours was drag the mattress onto the floor or open up the sofa bed
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Koshkha

Thank you very much for posting a detailed review of your stay with us at Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5. We really appreciate the positive & negative comments as it enables us to improve where we lack & continue to keep up what is good.

I do hope that during your next visit you will be able to appreciate the improvisations we have brought about in our services and standards.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us & we hope to welcome you soon.

Regards

Operations Manager-F&B

Reviewed 11 February 2012

The location of this hotel is good for flyers. And the parking deal with (limited but ok) breakfast made this good value for money.

Our room needed a good dusting and the tv did not work which was frustrating.

I'd stay again if only for value.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5.
I am please to learn that you found the Hotel location & value packages to be more than satisfactory but at the same time I am sorry we fell short of our standards regarding the rooms this time.

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you in the near future on which occasion we will aim to exceed all your expectations.

Once again, thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Very good value hotel.. Very good value for money £99 with breakfast and the chauffer picku with own car on return from your trip.. Saved loads of time...Lovely clean and modern and rooms lovely.
Breakfast a bit chaotic due to a flight of chinese being cancelled and them being put up in the hotel unexpectedly but otherwise great, we will always use this on flying from ~Heathrow...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments on our rooms, services & value for money and also for being so understanding about the busy breakfast.

We are delighted to read that you would choose Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5 for you future travel plans.

Hope to welcome you back very soon!

Operations Manager - F&B

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
Holiday Inn London - Heathrow T5
Holiday Inn Express Slough
Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
Travelodge Heathrow Terminal 5
Mercure London Heathrow Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5? Share your experiences!