“Legoland Bargain!”

Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I realised that I have stayed in this hotel quite a few times on business without noticing - it's just off the M4 at Slough, so another of those faceless 'on the road' places. Never would I have thought of it as a somewhere to stay otherwise.

However, having a Merlin Annual Pass and not wanting to shell out on the Lego hotel each visit, I went all-out for a cheap option - and, to my surprise, this is it!

I was equally surprised that this hotel is a 5-10min drive from Legoland, has included parking, a pool and a fantastic Singaporean restaurant (all well as a main one).

It's great value, comfortable and has everything you need for a Legoland stay with a surprisingly 'treat factor' feeling. You can even book 'kids concierge' for about £10 a child - check it out!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. You have just made me realise that it isnt so long now until the park opens again, and perhaps summer is only just around the corner!!.
I do hope that this means we will have the opportunity to welcome you back, either as a business client or a family guest, either way we will look forward to it.
Kind regards & best wishes from the General Manager, Management Team & Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Having stayed here on many occasions, I write this not only based on my most recent visit (which I'm still enduring) but also based on several visits over the past few years.

Good points:
Comfortable bed, good shower, under-cover parking (although for access, please note that there is no access from the underground car park apart from stairs)
Bugis Street Restaurant - this really is the shining star of the Copthorne hotel. A Chinese / Cantonese / Malaysian restaurant that is run independently but part of the hotel (which means you can charge to your room.) Excellent food, great service and a good choice of drinks. I do wonder what would happen to the Copthorne if this place ever closed as it really is the star attraction and the reason I'll select this hotel. Otherwise, I'd be in the Marriott.
Cost: for a business hotel it does seem to be slightly cheaper than some others.

Average points:
Staff are reasonably friendly. I always get the impression that they're friendly until you confront them with something they need to deal with, at which point you'll get promises with nothing written down and maybe a solution. It all seems to be a bit too difficult.
Main restaurant is ok; nothing special. Breakfast is standard buffet style with a limited range.
Health club - average. That's it.

Bad points:
Internet. It's terrible. I actually set my alarm an hour early to get to work as I wasn't able to work the night before in the hotel. I'd like to say this was a one off, but I've had this issue before and despite promises from staff that they'd contact their provider, nothing.
The room you get is a lottery; the room I had didn't have a desk so I ended up dragging a sofa chair up to the TV table to attempt to work. Wasn't really a problem though, as the internet was so appalling that I couldn't work anyway.
TV is unreliable and many of the channels freeze.
Generally the room is messy, with ripped wallpaper and power cables draped across the floor.

Room Tip: State that you need a desk and away from the lifts (they're noisy at night).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Davewbrown007
David F, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Davewbrown007

Thank you for placing this review on this site. I am sorry that you did not share your experience with us during your stay and that your whole stay was marred as a result of issues that could have been addressed to your satisfaction during your stay.

I was however very pleased to see that you ate in the Bugis Street Restaurant all four evenings and left a gratuity each night in recognition of the service and food and I am happy that our team were recognised. I would however point out that this restaurant is part of the Hotel as we are owned by a Singaporean company and I we also have more sites around the UK.

On reviewing the request log, I was able to see that you asked for a heater and this was delivered within 15 minutes, although was unable to see any further requests. I have asked my Operations Manager to review this and HR to discuss at the team meetings later this month. We pride ourselves on the team here and whilst I do not like receiving negative feedback, I will ensure that we action accordingly.

During the recent bad weather we experienced some issues with supply of electricity and wifi as many services were interrupted as much of the local area is flooded. Whilst our systems did struggle we reset them each time we noticed there was a problem. I have asked my IT department to try and speed up our upgrade to ensure much quicker speeds.

I have reviewed your room with my Maintenance Manager to ensure that the cables are tidied away and that the room is more ergonomic. This review has already taken place and the room is now back in service following some uplift

I noticed that you have stayed on one previous occasion and have asked our Account Manager to contact your company to ensure they are satisfied with the service we provide and share your feedback to ensure they are aware.

Thank you again for your comments, whilst I would have liked them directly in order to demonstrate how seriously I take our guests feedback and also whilst you were staying as this would have provided me an opportunity to redeem ourselves during your recent four night stay. Please do contact me on your next stay and I will ensure it is seamless.

Regards

David Faull

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Booked a 2 night break in a club room which was a great size, very comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the club lounge accommodation, which included Continental breakfast as well as an hour early evening where we had nibbles and a glass of wine. Sunday morning was completed with a gym session and half hour swim, before heading into London.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Guest,
I so enjoyed reading your review, thank you so much. You certainly made the most of your stay, which is what we all like to hear.
Hopefully you will come and stay with us again, may I recommend our Bugis Street Restaurant serving authentic singaporean food which I am sure you would really enjoy.
Kindest regards & best wishes from the General Manager, Management Team & Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute when having to travel to Slough for work and worried about not making my first day at my new job due to the severe flooding where I live in Sussex, I plumped for 2 nights at the Copthorne, as it was so close to the office and had secure parking.

After spending 4+ hours to travel only about 60 miles I was absolutely shattered on arrival, but the receptionists were lovely and did not rush me. The room was a standard one but was spacious with a neat clean bathroom and nice flat screen telly. I also liked the fact that if needed you could open the window a little which for a fresh air freak like me was a bonus.

The beds and pillows were nice and comfy and the small settee gave me some space to relax and gen up on the coming day. I didn't order any food the first night as I used up all the provisions that I brought with me in the car (just in case I got stranded in a flood somewhere) !! On the second night I ordered room service from the Asian restaurant and was very happy with the black bean beef and stir fried vegetables . . . these arrived very quickly and were in 'take-away' cartons - not what I expected but was actually OK as you could simply tip it all out on the plate and was nice and hot.

I also plumped for breakfast in my room both days and was not disappointed - the choice was the usual, but I was able to write on a couple of things I preferred as I am a diabetic and they arrived without any issue.

Although I did not use the bar, restaurant or spa on this trip, from what I did experience I could not fault anything. I am going to the hotel again in a couple of days for another 2 nights, and this time have splashed out on a Club Room . . . . my review will follow soon and hopefully it will be as good as this first trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Maggie_Copthorne, P.A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Guest,
What a journey! What a time! I do hope that the floods did not claim your home and that you are enjoying your new job.
Sounds as if we came as a great relief to you which I am very happy to hear. Hope your second stay was as successful
Delighted that your Bugis Street food arrived hot to your room, which I am sure you have already guessed, is the reason it is in the authentic take away type boxes, and that you enjoyed it.
I will look forward to hearing your second instalment............

Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for nearly a week. Rooms good, surprisingly quite! Oriental restaurant really good, try the banquet! Breakfast ok, drinks in bar expensive. Parking good, bit hard to get out in the morning! Gym good, pool good overall good. Loads better than holiday inn over the road. Not up to northern standards but good for the south.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
What a great review, and from someone who really knows the hotel after your extended stay, thank you very much indeed.
Delighted to hear we beat our neighbour to it but sorry to hear we cant compete with our Northen cousins!
Please come and stay with us again, we wlll look forward to it.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Room was clean and we got a good deal, although don't think it's worth the full price for this location, it's not as good as the Kensington Copthorne but there is nothing to complain about. Didn't use the public areas as we went out for dinner and passed on breakfast. There were some good offers in the beauty rooms so worth trying for some relaxation. If you want to be close to Windsor (by car) and can get a deal on the room this is a definate winner.

• Stayed: January 2014
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your kind comments. I do hope that you will come back to us and try all our facilities, which in turn should bring you to the conclusion that we are actually very good value for money indeed! Something that we all strive very hard to be.
We will look forward to welcoming you again.
Kindest regards and best wishes from the General Manager, Management Team and Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many many times over the last 7 years, not because I love it but because my company uses it due to its proximity to the office in Slough. Don't be fooled by the location of this hotel it's not Windsor, it's the other side of the motorway and is firmly in Slough.

The service is consistently bad. You will sot certainly wait to check in as there is never enough staff. I have just spent 20 mins this evening ringing reception to get wifi and got no answer. Getting a cup of tea or coffee at breakfast takes a significant amount of time and patience often I can get breakfast, eat it and leave before I am offered a drink!

The rooms are ok and clean but have not been updated this millennium and be careful using the shower as every single one will splash gallons of water onto the floor leaving the bathroom dangerously slippery.

There are a massive range of hotels in the area and I would suggest this needs a lot of work before it is one I would recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrew J
David F, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Andrew J

Thank you for submitting this review. I am sorry that your stay following 7 years of previous stays your latest stay has marred your experience of us.

I am particularly disappointed that you did not make these comments to us directly during your visits as we would have had an opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes. I will however review our guest logs and contact you directly to ensure your satisfaction and that we have a way forward in resolving the issues you have expressed.

Last year we completed our refurbishment of the 5th floor and are in the early stages of planning for the 4th floor refurbishment along with all public area's. We have already started our meeting room upgrade and will have this completed by the end of February along with a monthly planned uplift in the heath Club and all 53 family rooms. I have just invested in replacing all the beds and that program is now underway and look to commit nearly £1 million to projects in the coming year.

I appreciate that some of the rooms are now showing their age compared to the new rooms, although would stress that we have plans constantly in place to uplift the hotel and bedrooms significantly and have been working on this project for the last three years. Unfortunately many of the projects we have engaged were replacing plant and equipment and agree that we need to maintain this focus. I will ensure that regulars such as yourself know about all the work we are doing and will be doing to enhance the product. We regularly ask our clients for their input and our last project involved sharing the plans for the new rooms with them for their feedback.

Regarding breakfast and the lack of service you encountered, I have addressed with the Food and Beverage Manager to review and implement a plan for improvement. Our Breakfast supervisor has been here since the hotel opened and a review of the service offered has not really been undertaken, so I am confident that we will identify improvements and that you will recognise this should your company book your room here again.

I am sorry that you felt this was the best forum to place such remarks as clearly they will damage moral and our reputation. I sincerely believe that I have a dedicated hardworking and professional team, who try their very best every day and have exceptional pride in our achievements over the last three years. I also naturally balance this with your comments regarding staffing levels and will review once I know what day you stayed.

Following 7 years worth of loyalty, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experiences further as I am certain that we can restore your faith in us and demonstrate how seriously we take feedback from our guests.

Regards

David Faull

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Travelodge Slough
Travelodge Slough
#7 of 21 in Slough

Been to Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor? Share your experiences!