“Noisy short break!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Noisy short break!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked a 2 night short break here as close to Windsor, so we could visit the castle. First impressions were good - clean, nice sized Club room on the 6th floor, but both nights were noisy & eventful! In the early hours of both nights we got woken by people in the corridors, loud, drunk, moving in & out of rooms, slamming doors & chatting. Business people as well as those staying on pleasure. On the first evening one drunken fella on business, managed to enter our LOCKED bedroom, using HIS keycard! He stumbled off laughing, leaving us surprised & shocked! Reception apologised and reconfigurated our keycard - imagine what that would be like for a girl travelling on her own! On night two, a drunken girl kept knocking on our door in the early hours, until she got on her mobile to discover she'd got the wrong room...again! We visited the Club lounge (small room on the same floor, easy chairs, quiet, open 24 hrs for tea/coffee, continental b'fast) both evenings at 9/10pm, but there were never any clean cups about for us to have a drink. The most disappointing thing was that even though we lodged our complaints with Reception, we received no apology from the management, written or otherwise. It was left to the lady on Reception to offer us a reduced rate for one of our nights stays, as we checked out. On the plus side, we had a nice meal in the on-site oriental restaurant & the late check-out is ideal. Good location to visit Windsor, but think I'll stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the 6th floor, if you want a peaceful nights sleep!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KAREN E
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,
I was really concerned to read your comments - the safety and wellbeing of our guests is of paramount importance to us all and I can imagine how upsetting such an incident was for you both. I certainly take your point regarding such a thing happening to a lone lady guest, fortunately such an event is extremely rare as there are obviously failsafes built into hotel systems to prevent such an occurance, I have begun my investigation with the head of that department and apologise for any upset that we may have caused you.
I would be pleased to look after any future stay for you if you would contact me direct so that we can guarantee that it is memorable for all the right reasons.
Kind regards & best wishes from the General Manager, Management Team & Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here with my partner for the weekend. We thought that hotel initially looked very good and after reading reviews we were convinced this was the correct choice. However on arrival we were greeted by a friendly reception staff who made check in smooth and hassle free. The Asian lady at the reception was rather unhelpful as she was not really interested in helping us. We used the SPA and GYM facilities, although adequate the changing rooms were unpleasant and should be maintained better. The Rooms were really nice we had a room on the 4th Floor. Not sure if we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review. I was pleased to hear that your stay was, on the whole, successful and that you enjoyed your room.
I have forwarded your comments to the Health Club Manager for his information and action.
I do hope that you will come and stay with us again - I will be very happy to oversee your stay personally if you contact me direct.
West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I realised that I have stayed in this hotel quite a few times on business without noticing - it's just off the M4 at Slough, so another of those faceless 'on the road' places. Never would I have thought of it as a somewhere to stay otherwise.

However, having a Merlin Annual Pass and not wanting to shell out on the Lego hotel each visit, I went all-out for a cheap option - and, to my surprise, this is it!

I was equally surprised that this hotel is a 5-10min drive from Legoland, has included parking, a pool and a fantastic Singaporean restaurant (all well as a main one).

It's great value, comfortable and has everything you need for a Legoland stay with a surprisingly 'treat factor' feeling. You can even book 'kids concierge' for about £10 a child - check it out!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments. You have just made me realise that it isnt so long now until the park opens again, and perhaps summer is only just around the corner!!.
I do hope that this means we will have the opportunity to welcome you back, either as a business client or a family guest, either way we will look forward to it.
Chepstow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Having stayed here on many occasions, I write this not only based on my most recent visit (which I'm still enduring) but also based on several visits over the past few years.

Good points:
Comfortable bed, good shower, under-cover parking (although for access, please note that there is no access from the underground car park apart from stairs)
Bugis Street Restaurant - this really is the shining star of the Copthorne hotel. A Chinese / Cantonese / Malaysian restaurant that is run independently but part of the hotel (which means you can charge to your room.) Excellent food, great service and a good choice of drinks. I do wonder what would happen to the Copthorne if this place ever closed as it really is the star attraction and the reason I'll select this hotel. Otherwise, I'd be in the Marriott.
Cost: for a business hotel it does seem to be slightly cheaper than some others.

Average points:
Staff are reasonably friendly. I always get the impression that they're friendly until you confront them with something they need to deal with, at which point you'll get promises with nothing written down and maybe a solution. It all seems to be a bit too difficult.
Main restaurant is ok; nothing special. Breakfast is standard buffet style with a limited range.
Health club - average. That's it.

Bad points:
Internet. It's terrible. I actually set my alarm an hour early to get to work as I wasn't able to work the night before in the hotel. I'd like to say this was a one off, but I've had this issue before and despite promises from staff that they'd contact their provider, nothing.
The room you get is a lottery; the room I had didn't have a desk so I ended up dragging a sofa chair up to the TV table to attempt to work. Wasn't really a problem though, as the internet was so appalling that I couldn't work anyway.
TV is unreliable and many of the channels freeze.
Generally the room is messy, with ripped wallpaper and power cables draped across the floor.

Room Tip: State that you need a desk and away from the lifts (they're noisy at night).
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Davewbrown007
David F, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear Davewbrown007

Thank you for placing this review on this site. I am sorry that you did not share your experience with us during your stay and that your whole stay was marred as a result of issues that could have been addressed to your satisfaction during your stay.

I was however very pleased to see that you ate in the Bugis Street Restaurant all four evenings and left a gratuity each night in recognition of the service and food and I am happy that our team were recognised. I would however point out that this restaurant is part of the Hotel as we are owned by a Singaporean company and I we also have more sites around the UK.

On reviewing the request log, I was able to see that you asked for a heater and this was delivered within 15 minutes, although was unable to see any further requests. I have asked my Operations Manager to review this and HR to discuss at the team meetings later this month. We pride ourselves on the team here and whilst I do not like receiving negative feedback, I will ensure that we action accordingly.

During the recent bad weather we experienced some issues with supply of electricity and wifi as many services were interrupted as much of the local area is flooded. Whilst our systems did struggle we reset them each time we noticed there was a problem. I have asked my IT department to try and speed up our upgrade to ensure much quicker speeds.

I have reviewed your room with my Maintenance Manager to ensure that the cables are tidied away and that the room is more ergonomic. This review has already taken place and the room is now back in service following some uplift

I noticed that you have stayed on one previous occasion and have asked our Account Manager to contact your company to ensure they are satisfied with the service we provide and share your feedback to ensure they are aware.

Thank you again for your comments, whilst I would have liked them directly in order to demonstrate how seriously I take our guests feedback and also whilst you were staying as this would have provided me an opportunity to redeem ourselves during your recent four night stay. Please do contact me on your next stay and I will ensure it is seamless.

Regards

David Faull
Shrewsbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Booked a 2 night break in a club room which was a great size, very comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the club lounge accommodation, which included Continental breakfast as well as an hour early evening where we had nibbles and a glass of wine. Sunday morning was completed with a gym session and half hour swim, before heading into London.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Guest,
I so enjoyed reading your review, thank you so much. You certainly made the most of your stay, which is what we all like to hear.
Hopefully you will come and stay with us again, may I recommend our Bugis Street Restaurant serving authentic singaporean food which I am sure you would really enjoy.
Kindest regards & best wishes from the General Manager, Management Team & Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor.
Storrington, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute when having to travel to Slough for work and worried about not making my first day at my new job due to the severe flooding where I live in Sussex, I plumped for 2 nights at the Copthorne, as it was so close to the office and had secure parking.

After spending 4+ hours to travel only about 60 miles I was absolutely shattered on arrival, but the receptionists were lovely and did not rush me. The room was a standard one but was spacious with a neat clean bathroom and nice flat screen telly. I also liked the fact that if needed you could open the window a little which for a fresh air freak like me was a bonus.

The beds and pillows were nice and comfy and the small settee gave me some space to relax and gen up on the coming day. I didn't order any food the first night as I used up all the provisions that I brought with me in the car (just in case I got stranded in a flood somewhere) !! On the second night I ordered room service from the Asian restaurant and was very happy with the black bean beef and stir fried vegetables . . . these arrived very quickly and were in 'take-away' cartons - not what I expected but was actually OK as you could simply tip it all out on the plate and was nice and hot.

I also plumped for breakfast in my room both days and was not disappointed - the choice was the usual, but I was able to write on a couple of things I preferred as I am a diabetic and they arrived without any issue.

Although I did not use the bar, restaurant or spa on this trip, from what I did experience I could not fault anything. I am going to the hotel again in a couple of days for another 2 nights, and this time have splashed out on a Club Room . . . . my review will follow soon and hopefully it will be as good as this first trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Maggie_Copthorne, P.A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Guest,
What a journey! What a time! I do hope that the floods did not claim your home and that you are enjoying your new job.
Sounds as if we came as a great relief to you which I am very happy to hear. Hope your second stay was as successful
Delighted that your Bugis Street food arrived hot to your room, which I am sure you have already guessed, is the reason it is in the authentic take away type boxes, and that you enjoyed it.
I will look forward to hearing your second instalment............
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for nearly a week. Rooms good, surprisingly quite! Oriental restaurant really good, try the banquet! Breakfast ok, drinks in bar expensive. Parking good, bit hard to get out in the morning! Gym good, pool good overall good. Loads better than holiday inn over the road. Not up to northern standards but good for the south.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
What a great review, and from someone who really knows the hotel after your extended stay, thank you very much indeed.
Delighted to hear we beat our neighbour to it but sorry to hear we cant compete with our Northen cousins!
Please come and stay with us again, we wlll look forward to it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
De Vere Beaumont Estate
Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Slough
Premier Inn Slough Hotel
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor

Been to Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor? Share your experiences!