“Good location...and that's about it”

Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Starke, Florida
“Good location...and that's about it”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here because I was involved in an event taking place at the hotel, but I hope never have to do so again. While the location of the hotel is great—right on the M4—staying in the hotel feels like you've travelled back to the 1960s. The decor of the bedrooms is old-fashioned, and the paint in the enamel bath was chipped, with silicone sealant applied in a very amateurish way, adding to the un-cared for impression.

The hotel was also rather poor from the point of view of the business user. The internet access was slow, bordering at unusable at times, and the bedrooms have very few power outlets. I can understand that the rooms were refurbished a while ago, but most of the power outlets are single outlets, which could be change to double outlets at little cost.

Breakfast was just about OK, although at 7am the service was slow, with as far as I could tell, just one person serving in the breakfast room, although more staff turned up later on. I also ate at the Asian restaurant, and while the hot and sour soup I had was good, the nasi goreng (Malay for "fried rice") was rather bland even though it was described as "spicy" on the menu.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank DylanWadol
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write this review. I am sorry that there were several elements of your stay which you found disappointing - I have shared your comments with all relevant Department Heads to ensure that we monitor closely going forward.
Whilst I see that you have no real wish to return I would be pleased to personally oversee your complete stay - on our secure business floor - if you contact me direct.
Thank you again for sharing your issues, whilst we do not like negative feedback I appreciate that it is necessary if we are to improve the service we provide and it is only through our guest feedback are we able to continually monitor and evaluate our offering.
Kindest regards and best wishes from the General Manager, Management Team & Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Where to start ...

The bar food was awful. I asked for an archers and lemonade and got given orange and lemonade. So we decided to use the restaurant. Wish we never. There was 6 of us who all ordered different pizzas. I got given the wrong 1. I already took a bite out of it and they just took it off me and gave it to the right person. Somebody else's pizza took an hour to serve. By the time it came we had all finished. They offered him a complimentary drink and he got given tap water and still didn't get his onion rings.

Ok so there wasn't much choice for dinner so we asked at reception for a packed lunch to take out for the next day. They took our sandwich order and said it would be ready for 7am. We went down the next morning and got our lunch bags. Guess what .... no sandwiches. It was basically the breakfast buffet in a bag!! Not happy.

Ok so the drinks. During the football we ordered a round of drinks. There was only 1 person serving on the bar. We thought we would order 2 rounds so we didn't have to go back for a while and the bar staff said he couldn't do 2 rounds as he had too many people to serve. He lost about £50 of sales.

Then the last night we asked about shots for everyone. There was 16 of us they had 4 shot glasses!!! Bearing in mind this is the slough local bar as there is nothing else around.

Really really not impressed with the service we received!!! Not enough staff for the amount of business they receive and the staff attitude is poor!!

The positives is the car park is free and the rooms were really nice. Just a shame they let themselves down.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
wilmslow
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here whilst visiting family in Windsor. Plenty of free parking, good reception and excellent staff. We booked a club room at last minute so got a good deal, the room was massive and on a quiet floor. There was a thai restaurant serving good food at a reasonable price and also a bar doing the normal bar food. Our room included free entry into leisure which sadly we had no time to use. Breakfast was good, prompt service, hot food and buffet style. The only down side was not a fault of the hotel but a visiting guest attending an Indian wedding reception in the hotel. They came to bed arguing, shouting and swearing and throwing things around. The room could have done with been soundproofed but they eventually must have gone to sleep. We stayed for two nights and would definitely go back. Good location for families going to Legoland or just to Windsor and surrounding areas.

Room Tip: Ask for club room on the 5th floor if you are staying club class.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobsyboo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely review, it made such happy reading for us knowing that you were happy too!!
We will all look forward to welcoming you back in hopefully the not too distant future.
Prenton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here for the second time whilst visiting family.Staff very helpful. We paid extra for a superior plus room, but it was somewhat tired and quite frankly, the standard room we stayed in last time was in better condition. Having said that, it was clean and serviced daily. The first night
( Thursday ) the restaurant was closed and we were told that it only opened on a Friday and Saturday. The bar meal we opted for was actually quite good, although the choice was somewhat limited. The second night we ate in the Chinese Restaurant which was excellent. Breakfast was the usual buffet, but there were numerous, attentive staff in attendance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaspydog322
David F, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!

I was particularly pleased that your enjoyed your food in the lounge and found our food in Bugis Street excellent with breakfast being served by attentive staff. We have worked hard to improve the service and standards and although we still have some way to go it is nice to receive recognition for our efforts and hopefully we will have improved further when you next visit.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Birmingham, England
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Booked LEGOLAND package and arrived at hotel with two small children and twins having had a wonderful if exhausting day at LEGOLAND. Hotel situated 4 miles from Park and near to M4 motorway junction. Staff brilliant and couldn't do enough for us, particularly Anna on housekeeping, but also the bar staff and swimming pool attendant - who carried double buggy up flight of stairs to swimming pool. Food brilliant with plenty of choice, both in evening and at breakfast. Rooms comfy with views of Windsor Castle - no noise and plenty of coffee/tea/milk plus complimentary coffee in lounge area. So glad we booked this hotel - it made our whole trip a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: Adjoining rooms available if you have children.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Supergrantravels
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am delighted your stay was such a pleasant one.

I read your review out at the Room Attendants brief this morning as Anna, our late Housekeeper is exceptional and as this department usually works in the background praise from our guests is extremely valuable in maintaining the levels of motivation we expect and receive. I was also pleased that all staff that you encountered exceeded your expectations. We work very hard during the LEGOLAND season and really look forward to it. It is good to see our efforts are appreciated and hopefully next time you come we will have moved forward more as we try to improve the standards we offer all the time.

Hopefully we will see you again very soon, thank you again.

Best regards

Loughgall, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Lovely lobby but the rooms are DEFINITELY not the four star as awarded! Bathroom is so basic, shower head not detachable ladies and to be honest in desperate need of a refurb! Booked a room for my husband, my 8 year old daughter and myself - no bed for my daughter, when this was relayed to them they preceded to make up a sofa bed!
No ventilation in bathroom, thought I was as in a sauna, felt sweaty and grubby AFTER my shower!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Windsorvictoria
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your room or bathroom

We currently have plans to uplift the remaining bedrooms, which I am working on for later this year and will certainly consider a detachable shower head in our plans.

Unfortunately as you did not report any of the issues you encountered whist staying we are struggling to identify the room you were in, although I have asked my Maintenance team to inspect all rooms and report to me by the end of the week as we have a central extraction system that extracts the whole hotel and I can only assume that yours was somehow closed.

I am sorry that you did not tell us of the issues you felt strongly enough to write this review as I feel sure we could have redeemed ourselves if we had known how your experience was unfolding and hope that when we finish our room refurbishment you will come back and let us know your thoughts then. Please do contact me directly and I will manage your booking personally.

Kind regards

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

a nice hotel in affordable price. Closest to the LEGOLAND.10-15 minute drive maximum from the Resort. Good reception services,Welcoming and friendly and ready to help. Car parking was secure and was free.Clean spacious rooms. Breakfast was nice. Enough entertainment for children.Wifi was free in Bar and sitting area but unfortunately not in room like most of UK hotels.

Room Tip: No Lifts from car parking so either You unload first and then go to Parking or keep the bags smaller...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sherpao
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post this reveiw and for your kind comments which we all appreciate very much indeed.
I hope that you all enjoyed Legoland and that you might decide to stay with us for any other planned trips.
We will look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor
Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Slough
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor

Been to Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor? Share your experiences!