“Great stop over”

Holiday Inn Express Slough
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped over night as spent two days at legoland. We didnt leave the park til after 7 so got there late. There were no spaces in the car park left but we managed to find a spot on the curb outside the barrier. The hotel is compact and but high rise As a IHG member they were able to give us a room on the car park side so no noise from the station. Our sons sofa bed had not been put up but seen as we had a travel cot for our baby we decided to let him just sleep in the sofa as it was (he is only 4) and he slept fine.
Bathroom was small but clean and functional with a good power shower.
We got to breakfast at 6 and it was nice and relaxing. Good choice.
The only bit we found slightly frustrating was the lifts get busy and when you have a lot of luggage (you can't travel light with a baby) you can't go five floors on the stairs.

• Stayed: August 2014
Jade M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Slough, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your great review with us, as a valued IHG Rewards Member we very much value your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that you and your family found our hotel a perfect base for your two day trip to LEGOLAND.

It was disappointing to read that the sofa bed was not open on arrival and I do apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Once again thank you for your comments and we will look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Jade

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Let's start with the positives. The location is great for a family stay to visit London and Legoland. The hotel is right beside the train and bus station in Slough. A direct bus (702) takes you to the Legoland main entrance in half an hour and for getting into London there are direct trains to Paddington.
The staff were very friendly and responded well to requests. There's free wifi in the rooms that works well and the bathrooms are good. Unfortunately that's kinda where the good news ends.

I'd booked weeks in advance, asking for a double (parents) and twin (kids) room, connected if possible. We were given two doubles, not connected, so my son slept on the sofabed. The double bed was very soft and not very wide. We both kept rolling into the middle. Cosy, but not good for getting proper sleep. The next night I slept on the sofabed but that wasn't much better. The frame at one end of the bed was broken (and was fixed as promised the next day) but that wasn't the problem. The sofabed is just really not suitable for an adult. The mattress is flimsy and you can feel the bed frame.

On our second night we had dinner in the hotel. The four dishes were served quite some time apart and one of them was wrong. My wife was happy enough with the chicken wrapped in ham but the chicken and chips were so bad I barely ate half. The peas were gone so instead I got 'mixed veg'. Taste-free microwaved straight from the freezer bag. The chips and the fish came from the same freezer. The fish was way too salty. To finish it off the tartare sauce was from a sachet and tasted mostly like vinegar. My advice: go anywhere else for dinner.

You don't expect a royal buffet for breakfast at Holiday Inn Express but this was very limited. The only fruit option was grapefruit. There was yogurt and milk to go with cereals (good selection there) but not much choice in bread. White pan, micro-croissants (doughey and cold unless you put them through the toaster) or micro-pain-au-chocolat. The note in the lift warns that breakfast is busy between 8:30 and 10 and that's no joke. A queue at the buffet and a real chance that there's no table. We had to clean ours as staff didn't have time.

Parking is limited as advertised and is a simple first come first serve. If the hotel car park is full you can park next door at the station. Ask reception for instructions to get the overnight rate of around GBP13.

Usually Holiday Inn is a trusted name for a good night sleep and a good food. This experience in Slough however was a big disappointment.

Room Tip: North side (odd numbers) is away from the railway.
1  Thank Dutchman_in_Dublin
Jade M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Slough, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Slough.

Firstly I am very pleased to read that you found our central Slough location a perfect base for you and your families trip to LEGOLAND.

I am sorry to learn that there was some confusion with regards to your booking request and I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.
As we are among the Holiday Inn Express brand family we do provide either double (with sofa beds) or twin (two single beds) bedrooms. Whilst you may have requested interconnecting bedrooms, as you may appreciate these do operate on a first come first serve basis and can be very popular in the busy school holidays.

Please be assured I have noted your comments regarding the sofa bed quality and you may be pleased to know that we are currently undergoing a full upgrade and look to have the installation completed over the next coming month.

With regards to your comments concerning our dinner offering, please be assured that I will be discussing your valued feedback with my team to insure that we meet our guests expectations and I do apologise for your disappointment on this occasion.

As per our Holiday Inn Express brand standards we are unable to offer an additional items to our Express Start breakfast, however please be assured that I have noted all of your comments regarding this complimentary offering and will be sure to share them with the brand team for review.

It is most unfortunate that our Express hotel did not meet your expectations on this occasion, however for any future hotels bookings you may have I would happily recommend our sister brand Holiday Inn, as I am very confident you would not be disappointed.

Once again thank you for your valued feedback.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend with wife and 2 children aged 10 and 7. We've stayed a few times before but haven't been for 2 years now. We spend very little time in the hotel as we always spend the days at Thorpe Park, Chessington World of Adventures etc and go into Windsor in the evenings for some food/drinks. Rooms were clean and breakfast was fine. Sausages, scrambled egg and beans was the hot option and there were also cereals, fruit, pastries and various hot/cold drinks. We knew about the parking issues due to staying before. We've always been lucky enough to get a space. We got one when we arrived at approx. 4.30pm on Saturday but couldn't get one on Sunday evening. I managed to park just opposite the barriers to the car park/hotel by bumping up a kerb. In hindsight I wouldn't recommend this as the ground was littered with glass and other rubbish. We booked this hotel knowing we may have to pay for overnight parking at the train station but we were lucky again ! The train station next door is a bonus for us due to travelling into Windsor both nights. The noise from the station at night wasn't an issue. Receptionists very helpful and professional. The hotel is situated in the middle of a housing estate which could be a bit off putting for some people. All in all a very good hotel for what you pay. Any questions please feel free to message me.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jonny, thank you for taking the time to share your great feedback with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Slough.

I am very pleased to hear that as a returning guests we were able to meet your expectations and we will look forward to seeing you and your family next time are in the area.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed here to visit Legoland. On arrival no where to park, people were parked all over kerbs and on yellow lines. Husband had to drop us off and spent 20 minutes driving around looking for some street parking. Not what you want after a long day at Legoland. We spent the previous night at the Premier Inn Beaconsfield which was a much better base for lego land and we wish we had spent 2 nights there. Room was tiny, beds were unbelievably uncomfortable "triple room" which I thought would be 3 beds - was one tiny double on wobbly legs which squeaked and clunked everytime we tuned. and a sofa bed which was even more uncomfortable. Really hot room, massive noisy air con - even when we turned ours off due to the noise we could hear a buzzing noise which was really loud all night - so very little sleep. Breakfast was ok but the table was dirty and the previous occupants crockery was piled up when we arrived. We would never stay here again. It made a stressful end to the day, we will never stay in a Holiday Inn again. It did not meet expectations and we would really like our money back

Room Tip: Premier Inn Beaconsfield is much better if going to Legoland
2  Thank Familyholidayperson

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, we value your feedback to help enhance the service we are offering.

It is disappointing to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this is detail direct with yourself.
Therefore if I can kindly request that you contact me via gm@hiexslough.co.uk or alternatively 01753 55300.

I will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights to visit Harry potter, legoland, Windsor and London. Great location for all these sites, staff were all professional and polite. Hotel clean ,breakfast great choice what's not to like? Car park and train noise not a big deal! Would stay again thank you.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your great review with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Slough.

I am very pleased to hear that you and your family found our central Slough location a perfect based for visiting the many local attractions surrounding us.

We will look forward to welcoming you all back to us when you are next in the area – always remember to book direct to receive the best rates available.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here before flying on holiday. On arriving we entered a manic car park with cars abandoned everywhere. After asking we were allowed to use a disabled bay with our room details in case it was needed.
Reception were friendly and welcoming.
Room was large & clean; we know this as we moved the bed to try & avoid the whirring of the pipes underground. After a while we asked to move room.
Next room also had a strange continual noise. Hotel needs it's pipes looking at IMO...
Breakfast was laid on early & what you'd hope for.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jade M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Slough, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for taking he time to share your valued comments with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Slough.

I am sorry to learn that you experienced concerns regarding pipe noise during your visit to us and I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies for an inconvenience caused.
In order for me to investigate this matter in detail can I kindly request that you contact me directly via gm@hiexslough.co.uk

Whilst you did experience a fault I am pleased to read that overall you found our hotel clean and that our breakfast met your expectations.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I will look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a family trip to Legoland which is about a 10 minute drive. Lovely clean hotel, friendly staff and great value for money. Also a free breakfast in the morning.

The only down side to this hotel is the car parking, there's only about 25 spaces and once they've gone, there gone,and you need to park at the train station next door at a cost of about £9.

Have rebooked for next year! :)

• Stayed: August 2014
Jade M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Slough, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for your 5* review!

I am very pleased to hear that you found our central Slough location a perfect base for your family trip to LEGOLAND.

As you have rightly mentioned we do have very limited free car parking (26 spaces) and therefore the spaces do operate on a first come first serve basis.
For those guests you are unable to secure a space there is overnight secure parking available in the adjacent train station and for a small fee (as in line with our local competitors) our valued guests are able to take advantage of this.

Once again thank you for your great feedback and we will look forward to seeing you next year!