“best location in sidmouth”

The Kingswood & Devoran Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“best location in sidmouth”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Just returned from a weekend break at the hotel. If I was asked to sum up this place in one word I would use 'civilized'.It is obviously run with old fashioned values which I really like. If you want a place that is warm and welcoming in a prime location look no futher. The dated rooms and small shower facilities are a small price to pay. The only small suggestion I would make is to add variety to the cold breakfast buffet. I would have expected to see melon/cheese/ham in a hotel this good. And on two mornings the bacon and egg that I was served in my full breakfast was overheated and inedible.But I'm sure if I had complained it would have been dealt with straight away. So no big deal!! I do hope to return at some point.

1 Thank Sue B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on a dinner bed and breakfast basis to visit friends in the area. We had a sea view room overlooking the promenade which was spotlessly clean, although the bathroom was a little dated. We had a balcony (albeit it rather small) which was lovely to sit on. The staff in this hotel are excellent, welcoming, friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The food was excellent and there was a good choice in the evening menu, The situation is perfect for the town and beach and although we were allocated a parking space in the hotel car park, we did not need it as we were lucky and managed to park right outside the hotel, where it is unlimited parking. The only gripe is in relation to seating in the restaurant. Guests were obviously allocated tables before arrival and although we were quite happy with ours which did have a sea view, we noticed that several elderly guests needing walkers/frames were placed in tables inappropriate for their needs (i.e. right through the restaurant where it was difficult for them to access due to tables being very closed to each other. I think there should be more flexibility for table allocation to assess guests in person and to their needs. However, we will be returning again soon as this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and have a sea view room
2 Thank Jules244
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just spent 2 nights here with my children aged 10 and 12. We had the family room 304, which was large, very well decorated and had a fantastic sea view, the bathroom was a little on the small side but everything seemed new which was great. What I really want to talk about is the staff. I have genuinly never stayed at a hotel where absolutely everyone from check in to housekeeping are so, so friendly, it really made my stay perfect, thank you to you all.
The beach is pebbly but there is sand once the tide goes out a bit. We had a delicious roast Sunday night at the hotel (the chef arranged chicken for us as it wasn't on the menu), and a fish dish, which was good at Dukes next door on another night.
If I had to be picky my only comment would be that on both days my cooked breakfast wasn't hot but that really is the only fault I can find.

Room Tip: Sea view amazing.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 704jules
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Brilliant position right on sea front. Our room overlooked the prom. Room was very comfortable but bathroom was really small. WiFi was only available downstairs in the bar. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. Food was lovely, and I'd recommend you stay for the evening meal. Nice touch at 4oclock they provide complementary tea coffee and cake. A good way to get too know other guests. Would go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Its worth it.
halesowen
Reviewed 15 August 2014

A very warm welcome awaits you. Tea/Coffee and lovely cakes to greet you. Not to mention tea & cakes every afternoon. Tea & Biscuits all readily available.
Lovely staff, very welcoming. Great service in the dining room and good food.
Sorry to say its average score comes down to the room allocated to us. It was very small, especially the bathroom. Also a few other problems with the room
I urge any one with a problem to take it up with the duty manager, which I did. No other rooms avaliable but it was a problem that was able to be sorted to my satisfaction.
The location was really good and enjoyed the sound of the sea just across from the hotel. Lovely shops around the corner.

1 Thank halesowen60
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

5 nights at this hotel in July with service far beyond any other 3 star hotel I've ever stayed at. Nothing was too much trouble for the excellent staff from breakfast to bedtime. Always smiling, always polite, always eager to help. Smart yet relaxed.
The hotel itself has the best position on the esplanade in my opinion with excellent sea views - the decor in the communal areas is excellent - very smart and clean - as were the rooms I experienced - has a 4 star feel in many areas!
Food: excellent.
Staff: excellent.
Comfort: excellent.
Decor: excellent.
Cleanliness: excellent.
Free wifi but signal not available in room - only downfall for me.
I would definitely recommend The Kingswood and Devoran Hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Wearycoachdriver
alpharetta
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The hotel staff were very helpful and location could not have been better but the rooms were small. My mother had a single and it was tiny and our double was awfully tight as well. The bathrooms were also small. One morning there was no hot water in the single and the bathrooms are so challenged with space that having a shower was challenging each day. I also had the tiniest parking space and once I was in for the evening did not want to deal with having to go in and out again.
Breakfast were very nicely done and the food was always well cooked and hot. The average age of the clientele is way up there and I am sure many people come back year after year but a bit depressing to see so many elderly people for my 12 year old grandson. Perhaps not so bad when the English schoolkids are on holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family