“A nice welcoming visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Otter Inn - CLOSED

The Otter Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South West England
“A nice welcoming visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We arrived here on a wet Friday night, tired, hungry and with a fractious 2 year old.
The inn is welcoming on arrival and nicely decorated and laid out. There is a section for children with plenty of books and colouring in materials. Our waitress was first rate. She knew everything about 2 year olds and chatted to our son, making us feel comfortable and reassured.
The menu is quite considerable and I opted for a steak with a Stilton sauce, which was nice. Sadly the chips were not fresh, which is a real pet hate of mine but there were some lovely big onion rings, which did appear to be fresh.
I also had the calamari to start which was better than average. The house red wine went down very well and my husband enjoyed the ribs for a main course. Our son ate none of his dinner (but there was a good selection for children and he is fussy!)
I would say if you are looking for slightly above average pub food, then this is a good place to find it. The food is not outstanding but the service, ambience and standards are exceptional. What amazing staff!

• Visited March 2014

Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
“Amazing value and Amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Brilliant service, warmth and food. we always try and book the Otter for family meals as every one gets catered for at brilliant value

Visited January 2014
1 Thank sd1002014
Devonport, United Kingdom
“First visit, not the last.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was our first visit to the Otter Inn and we went with friends. I pre booked a table for the Sunday Carvery. We were quickly shown to our table and given menus and asked if we'd like to order drinks. A great start. They have a nice wine list too. The four of us had the carvery. There was beef, turkey and pork. The crackling was super and the choice of vegetables was very good. We noticed that they do an offer of two steaks and a bottle of wine for £20.00. That's our next visit sorted and we will return for another carvery.

• Visited January 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great Family Friendly English Village Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We visiited the Otter Inn back in July, when we stayed in Newton Poppleford for two days, just outside Sidmouth. The Otter Inn is situated in the picturesque Devon village of Colaton Raleigh ( named after Sir Walter Raleigh ), surrounded by lovely countryside. Both the outside and interior of this pub are lovely, as are the locals. My two girls made friends with three local girls who lived beside the pub, and my eldest was heartbroken she had to leave them at the end of the night. It was a lovely, balmy summer's night, and myself and my wife did not want to leave ourselves.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and the Otter Inn stock a decent range of real ales, ironically, Otter Ales, which are my favourite. The food was very good standard pub grub. I had the half roast chicken, my wife had the gammon, and my girls had gougons, which they finished. Next time, I will try their steak and kidney pudding.

I would thoroughly recommend this great English village pub, especially if you have a family -kids are really catered for as they have a bouncy castle out in their garden. If we have more time next time, we will explore the surrounding countryside for a walk prior to our meal. Best of British.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Salisbury67
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Don't judge a book by it's cover!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We decided to try this pub for a meal whilst on a recent holiday nearby. Pub looked lovely from outside and was just the same inside. However, wouldn't say it was a particularly friendly welcome from the man serving the bar. A smile and the odd word wouldn't be too much to ask would it!! Maybe it was the fact we had 2 young children with us or maybe he was just having a bad day?
Anyway the menu was nice, although there was no vegetarian option on the daytime lunch club menu.
Maybe we had too high a expectation with regard to the food but we just felt it was a bit average, We expected some home cooked food but it just turned out to be frozen chips/burger etc. There seems to be plenty of good reviews so maybe we went on a bad day but we wouldn't go back judged on our own experience

• Visited October 2013