All reviewsmusic roomswimming poolchristian guildthe main housethe main hotel buildingbeautiful musicsnooker tablebeautiful old buildingbreakfast includedbuffet styleporridgeno liftbooked this hotelten minute walkfamily roomtwo nightssidmouth town
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Don't stay here! I arrived thinking lovely gardens nice looking house but boy was I wrong. The annexe which is like an old office building or youth hostel has Paper thin walls old dusty brown ancient carpet you can feel the dust in your throat as soon as you come in. I pulled up I saw the old house which looked nice 1800's design but still tatty like it's never been done up ever since, just a messy reception. I was put in the 1950'/70's annexe which the rooms are so small and so outdated and basic I feel robbed.
No tv.
Old stool for bedside table so can't put drink on it as it's a cushion.
Whole building smells bad.
Had to listen to someone's radio most of the first evening.
Freezing cold no heating.
Attacked by bugs in toilet.
Very itchy bed.
2 small toilets and two bathroom for about 20 rooms. The walls are so thin that the woman opposite me complained to the man next to me as he was Laughing a few times and I can here the person next to me open a bottle of fizzy drink.
This place is not worth the money even if it is cheap and sidmouth isn't even very nice I highly recommend exmouth or seaton better
So cold every night the bed is small quilt is too short and no heating single glazed ancient windows. Having been in some bad places I've the years through work and getting budget hotels this is definitely bottom 3.
Avoid this place at all costs you will be seriously disappointed if not.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
6  Thank Mole I
Reviewed 29 August 2017

This was a late booking, just about the only room available in Sidmouth and cheap. The main house and grounds are beautiful. I was staying in the annex (hence the price!). The room was an adequate size, the bed was comfortable and the shared bathrooms and toilet were clean. There is no tv or wifi in annex rooms but the booking site warned me about this. There's good wifi reception in the main house and the garden in front of the main house. Guests staying in the annex have use of main house facilities including the swimming pool which looked very nice. I stayed for 2 nights and really enjoyed it, spent some time exploring the grounds which are extensive and very well kept. There's a nice pub and some restaurants close by, and it's only 10 minutes walk into town. Good value, and I'd stay again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Karin W
Reviewed 26 August 2017

We've stayed here a few times now, once in the annex which is cheaper with shared bathroom facilities; not a problem for me and my teenage son as we shower at the pool everyday anyway. He does miss not having to or wifi in the rooms in the annex though there is plenty to do in the hotel and local area to keep him busy. We've also stayed a few times in rooms in the main house which do have tv/wifi/en suite and are very luxurious, but rooms with luxury coat a little more. The food is amazing and the staff couldn't be more helpful. I would recommend trying out Sidholme as it's been perfect for us every time. We will be back again soon.

Room Tip: Best wifi is in the main house above reception. If you're planning on swimming the showers in the pool are great.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Sam K
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Room on 2nd floor of Annex.Not much use to accomodate an 80year old with walking difficulties.
Carpets throughout the building were filthy. Final Straw when I sat on bed it collapsed !!
Needless to stay we demanded a full refund and left immediately

Room Tip: Don't even think about staying there
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 133704H
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Once again we have stayed at Sidholme for our two week holiday, this was our third year there and I must say that on the most part we were very happy with our stay, the food was very good from the help your self breakfast to the evening meal, good choice’s and plenty of it, we had good fellowship with the host’s and very good fun and games in the evenings, from a quiz to a games night, The staff where once again very good, helpful and friendly, The indoors swimming pool was also very good and kept very well. The grounds were also good and you can spend many hours just sitting in them enjoying the rest. But I an sorry to say that some things did not make me happy, we stayed in room 26 this year and three years ago the same wallpaper that was coming away from the ceiling then is still coming away, and it still has the old woodchip paper, the windows are old and do not work fully and the frames are falling apart, The back door to the main building and the back door area is in a need of a deep clean, the door mat is worn and needs replacing, the seat covers in the lounge are still old and in need of a clean, many carpets in the public areas and the passage ways need a good clean or replacing, many doors and frames in the back are rotten and falling apart, there are many areas that need a lot of TLC and a good clean down, and some of it would not cost to much to put right, Last year you said that you had a refurbishment programme in hand, well if you have we and others could not see any change. The Wife in room 26 was good but you cannot get it in every room and for the price you pay to stay and the size of the Hotel you should able to get it in every room.
I am sorry for this report but having been a building inspector when in the army and since then I spot things that other might just pass by.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family