All reviews music room swimming pool christian guild grand staircase the main house wonderful music grounds are beautiful the main hotel building snooker table no lift porridge breakfast included ten minute walk family room late booking sidmouth town two nights
Reviewed 23 July 2018

A 1 night stay for my boyfriend and I and the hotel was lovely. Very welcoming and a beautiful quirky building. Our room was stunning and looked out over a garden. Was within walking distance to shops, restaurants and pubs. The hotel was busy with lots going on and we struggled to find a table for breakfast but the staff were so helpful. They set us a table outside with no bother at all and it was wonderful. The breakfast selection was one of the best I have seen in this country. You could even pimp your own porridge!

Good Wifi
Good Location
Ample Parking
Clean, tidy and welcoming

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 14 July 2018

It's an old Georgian building with a history, and no doubt fiercely preserved by the local council. They are fierce. It's convenient for walking into town, and has its own good car parking, and is now run by the Christian Guild as a hotel while attempting to retain the character of the property and its lovely gardens. It clearly isn't easy.

The plumbing is creaky, the floor boards likewise, and service is willing but basic. Three floors, lots of fascinating staircases - not to mention fire doors - and no lift.

Staying in the main hotel is not cheap, but for Sidmouth represents reasonable value. On no account be tempted to stay in the annex unless you really have to save a few bawbees. At £80 a night for not much better than hostel accommodation it is ultra basic.

Included breakfast is not bad, but you can't dine outside even in this summer weather for fear of attracting Sidmouth's notorious seagulls. And it's always the same. They serve a good cup of tea, and don't miss the hash browns.

Room tip: Avoid the annexe!
Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Rowena B
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Beautiful grounds and about a 20 minute walk to the town. This is a Christian guild hotel which is fine if that is what you are expecting, but we only discovered this after we had completed our booking and paid. When we arrived there were praise songs going on which was a bit of a surprise and could be offensive to some. As a Christian myself I felt uncomfortable , and had I been of another faith I think this would have been worse. This is not a setting I would have chosen for a weekend away. Our room was nothing like the pictures on the website. We were given a family room with double bed and bunks. Decor was very tired, and the corridor outside smelt of urine. We booked a room with a bath, but got a shower room. It felt more like a hostel than a hotel, and at over £100 a night was very poor value. When we complained the receptionist was rude and unhelpful and refused a refund or change of room. Having said that, the bed was comfortable and the room was reasonably clean , with tv, and tea and coffee making facilities.There is no bar. I believe you can have wine with your evening meal - 1 sitting at 6.30 on shared tables, but we did not eat in to find out! This would be fine for a young family in a shared room who want access to lovely gardens and a pool, but no good for a romantic weekend!, We won’t be back.

Date of stay: July 2018
6  Thank 123Madge
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I went here for a relaxing short break with my Husband and Daughter. The gardens were so lovely and peaceful, obviously the weather helped, that it was indeed very relaxing. The building was lovely but would benefit from some renovation to bring the rooms up to date. The food was plain but plentiful and tasty and the staff were friendly and helpful. The only drawback was that the room was small, it was supposed to be a family room but I dread to think how four would fit in it. My Husband has poor mobility so found the stairs a trial and we didn't have a chair in the room. I would go back if we could have a larger room on either the ground or first floor

Date of stay: June 2018
Reviewed 7 July 2018

The gardens are beautiful and provide a tranquil setting for the more mature visitor. However, the hotel, hidden at the end of a long driveway, is an oddly-designed rabbit warren of a building, with small rooms badly in need of modernisation. It is also a tidy walk to the sea front. The hotel clearly has an interesting history, which you can read about in your room, and close links to the church (it even incorporates a chapel). But be prepared to lug cases up narrow stairways to find a room which is clean but spartan. Ours did have a very small ensuite with a shower cubicle. The double-doors made it feel a bit like entering a wardrobe. It was unfortunate that our one-night stay was in the middle of the summer heatwave, so we didn't enjoy the most comfortable of nights, given the lack of air conditioning. We didn't have time to check out the swimming pool, but we did enjoy the cooked breakfast, with guests "encouraged to mix" at the large tables. The hotel may have grown on us in time, but we put this visit down to the kind of unusual experience you can get when you make an online booking at short notice.

Date of stay: June 2018