Victoria Hotel
Priceline
US$187
US$171
1,072 results
All reviewswhite roomjubilee restaurantjacket and tiefirst classsea viewbrend familydress codebrend hoteloutdoor poolputting greendining roomchristmas decorationswonderful hotelstaff were attentivetop classexcellent foodthird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 January 2009

We took a weekend break at the Victoria, our third visit in ten years. I am pleased to say the standard is as high as ever. The whole hotel looks immaculate, service is friendly and attentive,our room was excellent, particularly the bathroom. The highlight of our stay has to be the dinner in the hotel restaurant. Excellent service and delicious food. Sidmouth itself is a beautiful place to visit.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chriselyod
Reviewed 8 October 2008

We took my father-in-law here for a weekend for his 80th birthday. While the hotel was ideal for him, for us it was a depressing place full of elderly pensioners (and we are no spring chickens ourselves, being 53!). However, it just wasn't our style. On arrival, the receptionist told us that because we had booked the "room only" deal on their website, we wouldn't be able to have breakfast until 9:30 as we hadn't booked it. Since when do you have to book breakfast in advance when booking to stay at a hotel! We paid £155 per night for our double room (excluding breakfast) yet we had a room that was disappointingly small and very tacky. A tiny portable tv was in the corner, the small double bed was sandwiched in between very narrow (maybe 18" wide) wardrobes on either side. There were no bedside tables on either side of the bed, you were right up against the wardrobe and there was a tiny shelf next to your pillow that was just big enough to hold a cup (but not a saucer). The fittings in the bathroom were old and worn, old-fashioned and not very powerful shower in the bath. On the good side there was a kettle with a selection of teas and coffees and there was a hairdryer. On the Saturday night when we returned from dinner at a really good restaurant in Sidmouth (Blinis), there was a live "band", whose singer was about the same age as the guests and who would not have even got through the first round of X-Factor. One couple were dancing. We went and hid in the bar. To be fair, the staff were very efficient, courteous and at breakfast the next morning, they knew our names as soon as we walked in and knew who the other members of our party were. I couldn't really fault the service but the rest of it was pretty grim. If you can get a good room, and you like the old-fashioned and don't mind spending your weekend with a hotel full of 80-year olds, you'll love the victoria. Otherwise, don't bother.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank maureenpackse
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at this hotel - as long as you have a wonderful stay, and I did!!

Reception organised a room service breakfast at 06:30 am as I had an early departure - at no extra charge. On a previous visit we had been to a funeral and didn't feel like going to the restaurant so they organised a proper dinner in our room, complete with silver service waiter for each course which was brought fresh (and hot) at the beginning of the course. Again there was no charge.

Food this visit was as excellent as ever. Gardens look magnificent and, of course, the view over Lyme Bay was fantastic.

Sidmouth is still in its 1930s timewarp, which is what is so charming about it. Combined with the Victoria Hotel, you really couldn't choose a better English seafront holiday.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank ge0rgen
Reviewed 13 June 2008

Just back from a night here to celebrate my 50th Birthday. Expensive as we had a deluxe seaview room with balcony. Room 106. Worth every penny. Everything was lovely. The view , service and the fantastic weather made it. I'd definitely go back. Only downside, cold breakfast table was cleared away at 9:40. Breakfast is advertised til 10!
But a lovely break . Have a seaview room with a balcony. Room service supper was brilliant!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank SueGlos
Reviewed 29 May 2008

I must start this review by saying that it is one of my favourite Hotels, having first 'discovered' the Victoria during my first stay for New Year 2006 into 2007, I have since returned to the Hotel about 8 times! I must add that I take mainly shorter breaks of 3 - 5 nights at the Hotel as I also go on cruises the rest of the year.

Before I write about my last stay at the Hotel I must just mention that Christmas at the Victoria Hotel where I was for Christmas 2007 is a wonderful experience, ranging from organised Boat Trips along the River Ex with all food & drink included without charge, a meeting of the local Hunt at Seton, a Christmas Day quiz, Casino nigh & not forgetting two champagne receptions! They make you feel very much at home at the Hotel so much so it does not really feel like you are in a Hotel!!

My last stay was during the first May Bank Holiday weekend in the UK and whilst the weather could have been better there were some quite sunny & hot days which brought everyone out for walks along the Esplanade & a favourite spot of ours is sitting near the Connaught Gardens Tea Rooms overlooking Jacob's Ladder & the Beach below!

The Hotel itself is as it states on the drainpipes over a 100 years old albeit the Sun Lounge has been added in recent years although it blends in well with the rest of the red brick building. From the moment you arrive at the Hotel nothing is too much trouble & if you arrive early the Head Porter / Doorman suggests that you leave luggage in your car until Reception give you a call to say your room is ready - usually this should be from 2 pm but it can be earlier dependant on how busy the Hotel is - & it is usually very busy all year round!

We usually sit in one of the lounges enjoying a drink whilst waiting for the room or go for a walk and then come back. My parents usually have a front deluxe sea view room and this time they had room 208 which has its own balcony and had only just been refurbished 2 weeks ago - the Hotel is starting a 3 year plan to refurbish all rooms and ten have already been completed. This room had a very smart bathroom, plasma tv, very comfortable arm chairs & all new curtains & bedding covers etc including very nice carpet. These rooms also had the more commonly found keycard entry system to the room which the rest of the Hotel does not have. The view is also great!

Food & service at the Hotel are first class - we usually have the same table in the Restaurant and most evenings either a pianist plays in the Restaurant or the Victoria Quartet who are very good - they also then join their singer each Saturday evening as their Group, aptly named 'Coastline' and sing anything from Frank Sinatra, Neil Diamond to Abba songs and are very good. There is a small dance floor in the Sun Lounge which usually gets everyone on the floor. During High Season & N Year & Christmas there also Filmed Race nights & Casino nights, quizzes etc.

The food is traditional English / French fare but very plentiful and beautifully presenteed for each course. They do a wonderful duck a l'orange in a cointreau & grand marnier sauce & the "trio of" desserts are sublime as is peach tatin with brandy sauce! As I mentioned before I go on cruises & the food & service here is not disimilar to the Queens Grill Restaurant on QE2 which is reputed to be one of the best at sea in the world!

The bar is also very friendly and offers very efficient & professional service as are lunch or snacks served all day in the lounges. Even though it is one of the best 4 star Hotels in Sidmouth whilst the room rates reflect this they are not over the top in their pricing for drinks or food which is clearly demonstrated by the large number of guests who eat & drink during the day at the Hotel. It is also the Hotel / place to come for the residents of Sidmouth who frequent the Hotel daily especially for SUnday lunch which is always sold out!

I forgot to also mention that single rooms are the most spacious I have come across in a UK Hotel and whether you have a standard or deluxe single room they all have spacious bathrooms & either sea or pool / garden views and a seating area & plenty of wardrobe space.

I would thoroughly recommend this Hotel to both couples, single travellers & families as there is also a great outdoor heated pool & a smaller indoor one, tennis courts, gym, 5 acres of gardens & Sidmout itself as Regency town is like stepping back in time with its old fashioned Fields Department store where service is not unlike that at the Victoria - great! Suffice to say I am back at the Hotel again in August & then for Christmas.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family