“A wonderful tasty meal”

Ranked #6 of 81 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Situated at the heart of Sidmouth town centre and Esplanade, Dukes is a family friendly inn offering relaxed dining, drinks and accommodation all year round.
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We visit Dukes a few times during the year to eat but the meal I ate there recently had to be amongst the best. I had the smoked haddock rarebit to start and it was delicious. With another fish dish for main and the cheeseboard (shared) to finish I was pretty stuffed. The four of us thoroughly enjoyed our food and, as usual, the staff were welcoming and attentive and the waitress who served us looked after us very well. The restaurant and bar were busy as usual and we were so relaxed and comfortabl. A great evening.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Dukes is a Sidmouth staple with a great location on the front. The food is OK as is the beer (although I'm not a big fan of their ales) and they take dogs in the bar area which is great. However I find it really lacks atmosphere in the day, more like a cafe with a bar than a pub. They have some lively event nights which have far more atmosphere but the bar struggles to accommodate the crowd in my experience. I'm happy to go to Dukes...if my favourite pub it too busy but it's not a place I generally make a bee line for.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Dukes has a wonderful position on The Esplanade and is always popular. We had booked our table for dinner in the conservatory area and were swiftly greeted and shown to our table. Service was friendly and efficient throughout. Our meal came quickly and was well up to expectations. The local mussels were particularly plump and succulent. My main course "pork shank" was thoroughly enjoyable but not for the faint hearted. Think lamb shank, then think pig - juicy, tender but enormous! The whole, in my case washed down with local ale, made for a very pleasant holiday evening.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Had a meal whilst sat outside with visiting friends from Wales.

Above says it all. The food was great as was the service, A cracking pint.
Shame about the pesky seagulls landing on tables. But that is part of living at the coast.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Having made a booking my husband and I dragged ourselves out on a windy , rainy miserable evening to what used to be one of our favourite places to go.
Hubby ordered the homemade scotch egg for starters expecting a warm and tasty treat with a runny yolk in the middle...he had this at the 5 bells recently and was hoping for somthing similar. His words not mine, ..not even as good as a ginsters from the garage.....cold, stodgy underseasoned with a blackening overcooked centre. My goats cheese starter was lovely. The lamb main course was over cooked bland and expensive for what it was and my vegetarian squash cassrole was the most unapetising boring, cheap to sling together meal I have ever been offered at this level. The service was excellent and the poor waitress was apologetic and offered to run
across to the sister hotel where a oap party was in full swing and grab me one of their veggie options.. No !!!!!

We left having parted with our hard earned cash for little return and a wasted trip out feeling utterly disappointed and disgruntled..... shame love the service decor,,,,, wine . :(

We really felt that there was no chef on and everything had been pre prepared , plated up as if catering a coach party. We used to love coming here but this was very disapointing and we felt our hard earned cash had been taken for little return.

dukessidmouth, General Manager at Dukes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

We are sorry you were unhappy with your meal on the evening you visited us. We did out best to offer alternative dishes. We had sold many scotch eggs that evening and are disappointed you were expecting a warm scotch egg, our Dukes scotch eggs are homemade daily prior to service and are served cold on a bed of leaves. We have also had many positive comments on the butterbean crumble and everyone else that evening enjoyed there's. We offered you several alternative dishes from our kitchen and also from our award winning Taste of the West restaurant at our sister hotel, which was not hosting an 'OAP party'. As always all the dishes are prepared to order and are extremely disappointed you didn't enjoy your meal on that evening and hope the reduction on you bill and the offer of complimentary desserts and a drinks went someway to apologise on this occasion. As you have previously visited us several times you are aware we are extremely passionate about the quality of the food we offer.