“take in the sea air”

Ranked #6 of 80 Restaurants in Sidmouth
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated at the heart of Sidmouth town centre and Esplanade, Dukes is a family friendly inn offering relaxed dining, drinks and accommodation all year round.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

love bar and café serving delicious food and drinks soft, hot and alcoholic in a lovely seafront setting, friendly staff and pleasant surroundings

There are newer reviews for Dukes

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked for a party of 12 and turned up with 14 which was easily accommodated for by the staff. The team were attentive and the menu was superbly diverse. It took us forever to decide what we were going to have. I ordered fish and chips, having spied someone else's. It arrived and was HUGE. I had to give some to my husband who, as you can imagine, didn't complain. A lovely relaxed evening. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were lucky to nab a table outside on a very sunny day, just before the lunchtime rush really started. My husband had the ribs, which came with fries, and the pile of ribs was huge. I had the crab sandwich which lovely and fresh. Prices were reasonable.
We will definitely go back here on our next visit to Sidmouth.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We probably ate here more than anywhere in Sidmouth. There are excellent menu choices whether you want a main meal or a snack, and there are also specials every day .Portion sizes are reasonable and prices are probably in line with other Sidmouth and East Devon restaurants. Staff are very friendly and chatty, and service generally good, but there were occasions when there were long waits at the bar for drinks (bar staff also prepare coffees, cakes etc.- pity they didn't have different or more staff servicing both areas). Good range of beers, lagers, and wines - Peroni was over £4 a pint. Large seating area outdoors and 3 dining areas within the Inn, the conservatory regarded as the main restaurant area. Booking definitely essential.
Some of the evening specials on different weeknights were Cod and Chips (£8.95), 2 steaks and bottle of wine £29.95, Mussels at £10 - all great value.
Dining al fresco here is tormented by seagulls - they just don't take any time off.

On our last day in Sidmouth we decided to have a 'breakfast sandwich' at Dukes - what a disappointment. Firstly the bacon, egg and sausage sandwich was toasted - no mention of this on the menu - and the sandwich was completely dry, i.e. not buttered , it was like trying to eat a damp beer mat ! Other than that experience the hot food was always of good quality, and the range of cold snacks extensive. Crab sandwiches excellent as were the Nachos. Some items seemed quite pricey.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was looking forward to my breakfast in the sun. The location is superb. But with full English advertised as including beans and black pudding I was surprised to receive neither with no word of explanation.
I suppose I could have left my breakfast on the patio (to the mercy of the seagulls) and gone back in to ask - but why should I.
Disappointed.