“Rivieras Rave Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Sidmouth
Saltford, England, United Kingdom
“Rivieras Rave Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

This is a hidden jewel in this small seaside town. When I phoned up the night before for a lunch time reservation today 5 May, I was advised I was the only couple booked in so there would be plenty of room. I was also advised that the Sunday lunch would cost £29.5 each. So it was with some apprehension that my wife and I visited this restaurant within the Riviera Hotel.
The decor of the restaurant was superb, we had the feeling that we were back at The Ritz. Tables were superbly arranged, and the ambiance of the place was fitting of the price.
The meal was superb and would have done credit to the best of Master Chef, both for taste and presentation. The staff were excellent and again matched the service we had experienced at The Ritz.
My meal included poached pears with other fruit and sweet chutney, then sweet potato and chili soup, the main was an excellent Devon beef medium cooked together with vegetables which had been tastefully prepared. I finished with ice cream to give my stomach a pleasant rest. Coffee was served in the lounge overlooking Sidmouth Bay. My wife had sliced duck with red cabbage salad, then the same soup, followed by Dover Sole with Tempura Prawns and Risotto cooked to perfection. She had a fruit selection served in a brandy basket to finish.
So initially a meal which I had reservations about turned out to be superbly cooked and presented to a high standard, and was exceptionally great value for money.
Since it was a lovely sunny day the tables in front of the Hotel were continually filled with people enjoying lighter lunches and drinks.
Some of the staff have been at this hotel for a long time, and have maintained old fashioned standards which are rarely experienced any more.
I would highly recommend this restaurant you will not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Only visited restaurant
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bob M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Denbigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

I must admit that my heart sank when I walked in to this hotel as the decor was not to my liking.
However I have learnt my lesson not to judge a book by its cover because during my five night stay I was treated to superb service, food and friendliness from the staff.
I can honestly say that this was the cleanest hotel I have stayed in in the UK. The bathroom was gleaming in the sort of way they do in Switzerland. In the room, even with the sun shining in on the shiny black framed television there was not a speck of dust to be seen.
If like me you miss things like melba toast, sugar shakers, schooners of sherry and breakfasts served at your table , then you will like this place.
If like me you dislike artificial flowers, chandeliers, red and gold patterned carpets and pink velour drapes then look away and enjoy the rest of the offerings.
The meals were delicious. I was on the half board option and really appreciated being able to substitute lunch for dinner as part of the deal. The most memorable meals were a crab salad, roast pork Sunday lunch and my last supper of smoked salmon mousse (the perfect excuse to eat more melba toast) and braised duck leg with tiny fresh broad beans.
The menu was changed daily.
My room was on the third floor facing the sea as was the bathroom which also had an opening window which I like.
The seagulls woke me up early each morning as they seemed to meet up on the roof above.
I extended my stay by one night from the original booking and asked if I could move for the last night to one of the rooms with the lovely bay windows. This request was duly honoured and I fully appreciated my last afternoon and evening soaking in the gorgeous views and watching the comings and goings on the promenade.

Room Tip: None of the single sea facing rooms have a bay window despite the photo showing this on the online b...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hollins1
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have written glowing reports on the Hotel Riviera before but decided to do another following my latest visit because it's important to note that the standards at this amazing hotel never falter. I used to visit Sidmouth a lot as a child and have rekindled my love of the town over the last 5 years with regular visits with friends and family. Each time I book the Hotel Riviera, it briefly crosses my mind as to whether the experience will be as fabulous as the last. I am now confident to assume that it will always continue to live up to my expectations. I have nothing but high praise for the owner, Mr. Wharton, who engenders the spirit of teamwork among his staff that is second to none. I can reiterate the comments I have made previously - this hotel has excellent and friendly staff, superb food and is spotlessly clean but really the best thing I can say is, just go there. You won't regret it.

3 Thank Bevells
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

It's just like coming home. Of all the places in all the world, in my experience, this hotel is unrivalled in terms of customer service and what anyone would want as a holiday experience when staying in a hotel . Mr Wharton has got it spot on - exactly the right balance of interaction with the guests without it being over the top. Pure genius. The team are amazing, genuinely the friendliest ever and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are lovely and the food....well incredible and somehow better and better every time. Our group of friends have been on an annual visit in spring for the last 3 years and we will keep going back.....probably even a 2nd visit this year. Single rooms too without the usual hefty supplement and beautifully appointed. I can't wait to go back year after year. What we all love too is that the staff all seem to love working there - there is a place for everyone.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms have fantastic views. Town view rooms are possibly quieter. All are lovely.
4 Thank misstracey24
Sidmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

We have been coming here for a number of years. The food is exceptional, with a lovely choice of well cooked courses. The staff are so friendly, and very attentive (this has been consistent throughout our visits, including today). Peaceful setting, with a lovely view across the sea. Recommend you get a table in one of the windows for the best experience. If your looking for a mature, peaceful setting to have lunch, with exceptional food and service in Sidmouth, this is one of the places to try.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Simon T
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Everything about this hotel was excellent! The staff were kind and caring, nothing was too much trouble. A good variety of food. Amazing view from the balcony in my room over-looking the sea. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

3 Thank GrannyCuckoo
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful break at the Riviera a year ago and so were rather wary about booking a return trip in case it didn't live up to the previous experience. Could the food possibly be as delicious? Could the service still be first class? Could the welcome be as warm? Could the cleanliness still be spot on? We needn't have worried! From the moment we walked into the hotel to be met by the cheerful receptionist (Julie?) and the ever polite concierge David we knew standards were as high as ever, This hotel is truly exceptional. If you want service that you thought didn't exist any more then stay at The Riviera.

Room Tip: I think it would be worth paying the extra amoun to get a sea view room
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple